Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2014, 02:54 PM

47 posts, read 198,033 times

Advertisements

We are taking a family vacation to the NC area in mid October this year and I had a few questions.

We decided to go during early fall to beat the crowds and save some $$$. Is the water temp still fairly nice that time of year? From what I see it looks like the average is near 68-70 degrees in mid October. Keep in mind I'm accustomed to cold Pacific water in California during the summer to 70 would seem nice to us.

We are just looking to unwind with the kids and hang out at the beach for a week. What area would be best for that? Oak Island? Kure? Carolina?

Any must visit sites near the coast?

Is it worth a day trip to drive down the coast to check out Myrtle Beach?

Any info that would help in our trip would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 06:50 PM

13,369 posts, read 27,030,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amplified View Post
Is it worth a day trip to drive down the coast to check out Myrtle Beach?
Only if your kids want to see the ferris wheel or the amusement park things. They is nothing like that in North Carolina.

I can't comment otherwise on "which" North Carolina beach. You can do nothing but hang out on any beach. Carolina Beach has a boardwalk, but you don't have to use it.

However, the weather should still be relatively warm in October.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:47 PM

7 posts, read 17,374 times
Kure Beach all the way, great time of year to visit but weather might be unpredictable (still hurricane season). You can Google activities in the area depending upon your interests but if you are looking to chill out while making a few driving excursions, then KB is your place. Some possible things to do... Aquarium, Fort Fisher, Ferry to Southport, downtown historic Wilmington, USS North Carolina, fishing, boating, kayaking, SUP, Sea Turtle Rescue Center, Tregembo Animal Park, great restaurants in KB and CB, uncrowded beaches, 4wd on beach at Fort Fisher and Freeman Park, miniature golf, etc. Myrtle Beach? Drove there once on first visit to NC in 2006, and will never need to go back, just not for me.

Last edited by CA-KB; 06-01-2014 at 10:00 PM..

Old 06-02-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA-KB View Post
Kure Beach all the way, great time of year to visit but weather might be unpredictable (still hurricane season). You can Google activities in the area depending upon your interests but if you are looking to chill out while making a few driving excursions, then KB is your place. Some possible things to do... Aquarium, Fort Fisher, Ferry to Southport, downtown historic Wilmington, USS North Carolina, fishing, boating, kayaking, SUP, Sea Turtle Rescue Center, Tregembo Animal Park, great restaurants in KB and CB, uncrowded beaches, 4wd on beach at Fort Fisher and Freeman Park, miniature golf, etc. Myrtle Beach? Drove there once on first visit to NC in 2006, and will never need to go back, just not for me.
Thanks for all of the tips so far. Does anyone have any info on the water temp in mid october? Too cold for the kids to swim?

Old 06-02-2014, 10:07 AM

13,369 posts, read 27,030,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amplified View Post
Thanks for all of the tips so far. Does anyone have any info on the water temp in mid october? Too cold for the kids to swim?
It should not be too cold since water retains the heat much longer than the air. This NOAA chart for Wilmington shows 79 degrees in the first part of October and 75 degrees in the later part:

http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/all_meanT.html

Old 06-04-2014, 02:44 PM

687 posts, read 1,377,079 times
I wouldn't wait until October to "beat the crowds." I go to Carolina Beach 3 or 4 times each summer and it is rarely crowded. During the weekdays the beach is empty. It is only really crowded on Memorial Day, July 4, and Labor Day weekends. (By October it is literally a ghost town and probably half the shops are closed down.)

Old 06-05-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundman View Post
I wouldn't wait until October to "beat the crowds." I go to Carolina Beach 3 or 4 times each summer and it is rarely crowded. During the weekdays the beach is empty. It is only really crowded on Memorial Day, July 4, and Labor Day weekends. (By October it is literally a ghost town and probably half the shops are closed down.)
Primary motivation is not to beat the crowds so much but instead to save $$$. Rentals are much cheaper during that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina