Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2014, 12:03 PM

6 posts, read 14,949 times

Advertisements

Seems like a generic question, and I know that there is no correct answer, but I am having trouble finding the type of information I am seeking. I see homes in Hampstead valued around $300K-$350K that the estimate the insurance is $67 a month. Is that realistic? I'm wondering if most of Hampstead is outside of or in a flood plain? Ive tried to look at the NC web site on flood plain mapping and cant get anything to display. I think I can handle the chance of hurricanes and such, just wondering if flooding is much of a risk on the mainland side, and what the associated flood and/or wind type damage coverages cost people in that area since most the houses seem to be in a pretty close price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 01:01 PM

I guess I should mention that I probably have a couple years before I would actually be making a move, and that my family is coming down to the Wrightsville beach area this week to kind of get a feel for the different areas. Ive been there before and loved what I saw. This trip is to see if the wife feels the same way and then start planning in earnest. Just wondering if the insurance rates would force us to look further away from the coast.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:28 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevKaos View Post
I see homes in Hampstead valued around $300K-$350K that the estimate the insurance is $67 a month. Is that realistic? I'm wondering if most of Hampstead is outside of or in a flood plain? Ive tried to look at the NC web site on flood plain mapping and cant get anything to display. I think I can handle the chance of hurricanes and such, just wondering if flooding is much of a risk on the mainland side, and what the associated flood and/or wind type damage coverages cost people in that area since most the houses seem to be in a pretty close price range.
The $67/month probably only covers the household contents. You will also need to carry wind and hail coverage (AKA hurricane coverage). That does get expensive, and I have been told that everyone east of I-95 has to have it.

We have a house worth about $300,000 and our homeowners insurance is about $2300/year. That is about $1600 for the wind and hail, and the rest for homeowner contents.

FWIW, our property tax in Onslow county is about $1900/year compared to about $4800 in Silver Spring Maryland. So what we saved in tax, we pay out in insurance.

Flood insurance is mostly not required unless you are on the beach or on a creek. Try this map and set the map theme to flood zone. I am using the Chrome browser. http://fris.nc.gov/fris/Index.aspx?F...neral%20Public

Old 06-17-2014, 06:40 PM

Thank you, thats exactly the type of information I was looking for. I checked that link, and with your instruction, the flood risk is now much clearer. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: