Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2020, 07:55 PM

2 posts, read 1,564 times

Advertisements

Hello! We are a military family moving to the Wilmington, NC area this summer.
We are looking to buy a newer home around 400k looking for a neighborhood with sidewalks, community pools with other families with children. We have a 6 year old who’ll be entering in the 1st grade, I’m wondering which areas would be the best to look.
I’ve heard great things about Topsail Elementary and Ogden county school district.
Any feedback or information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2020, 08:22 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachrdh08 View Post
We are looking to buy a newer home around 400k looking for a neighborhood with sidewalks, community pools with other families with children. We have a 6 year old who’ll be entering in the 1st grade, I’m wondering which areas would be the best to look.
I’ve heard great things about Topsail Elementary and Ogden county school district.
You probably already know this but Ogden Elementary, South Topsail Elem, and North Topsail Elem. have identical 9 out of 10 rankings at Greatschools.org. So, that's a tossup. You might also look at NCReportCards website for a deeper look. Drill down on New Hanover and Pender Counties from here: https://ncreportcards.ondemand.sas.com/src

BTW, sidewalks are limited in the counties, but you see them within the Wilmington city limits. Plenty of neighborhoods have community pools, especially in the higher price ranges.

It is important to consider where the military spouse will be working. If it is Jacksonville, it is a long, boring commute. The North Topsail school would be closer. Furthermore, I am not sure that chasing school ranking is worthwhile for a first-grader. My neigborhood in Sneads Ferry has a community pool and lots of kids of the same age, although Dixon ES ranks lower. Furthermore, there is a new Surf City ES, which might be worth considering, as there are lots of new construction neighborhoods near it.

Old 02-17-2020, 05:04 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,642,290 times
Good source of school data can be found here:

https://ncreportcards.ondemand.sas.com/src

Old 02-17-2020, 08:21 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
To correct my initial response, there are three elementary schools serving Hampstead: South Topsail, Topsail, and North Topsail. It is the "just plain" Topsail which earns an A grade from NCReportcards, the others get B which is still decent. The Ogden Elementary, which is in New Hanover County also gets an A grade, and it met its performance goals.

I do not have kids in school, but I think the poster would be satisfied with any of these schools as well as the new Surf City Elementary. I think the deciding factor would be the commute distance for the military spouse, and personal preference.

Ogden is a dense, mostly mature suburb. Hampstead, Surf City and Topsail Beach are newer, and still growing. If the spouse is commuting to Jacksonville, my suggestion would be the Surf City Elementary. The website shows it has young, enthusiatic-looking teachers. It opened in August of 2018, and as a new school it is not overcrowded. Website here: https://sites.google.com/pender.k12.nc.us/sce

Last edited by goldenage1; 02-17-2020 at 08:29 AM..

Old 02-17-2020, 02:40 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,853,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachrdh08 View Post
Any feedback or information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Be sure to look at the maps if you are moving into New Hanover County. There is a new Elementary school opening up this summer named Porters Neck Elementary...ratings on it wont likely be available for a couple of years, but its likely to be among the highest rated in the county based on the area it serves.

It will siphon off some kids from Ogden. Here is an article on the new maps with them included...

https://www.starnewsonline.com/news/...stricting-maps

BTW, Ogden ad Porters Neck can be considered suburbs of Wilmington, although they are not legitimate towns so their services are limited to county services...CFPUA serves both city and county utilities although they charge more for county residents, who cost more to serve than the city. I don't think they offer trash, but that's likely a by neighborhood thing.

As for Hampstead, it is not an incorporated town either, more of a sprawling area of Pender County. Most neighborhoods do not have sidewalks. The State controls Highway 17 through the area and neighborhoods control their own streets. Most neighborhoods have septic tanks.

Old 03-17-2020, 12:58 PM

2 posts, read 1,564 times
Thank you guys so much for your input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina