Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 12:59 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,018,330 times

Advertisements

Some of my favorite things are winter clothes and I can't see just discarding them for this move to the coast. Who knows what the future will bring?

What did you Northern transplants do with your winter stuff? If you brought it with you, how do you store it?

Last edited by Umbria; 07-21-2014 at 01:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 01:03 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
What did you Northern transplants do with your winter stuff? If you brought it with you, how do you store it?
We brought ours with us, but haven't needed the boots or heavy coats for three years. We have plenty of closet space. I am thinking in mailing them to a Goodwill store in Minnesota or North Dakota.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:06 PM

Ha! We will take them I'm assuming you have some wool - how do you store it so bugs don't eat holes in them?

Old 07-21-2014, 01:20 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Ha! We will take them I'm assuming you have some wool - how do you store it so bugs don't eat holes in them?
Interestingly, I haven't seen any bugs on the wool. I just had them dry-cleaned before leaving, and they are still in the plastic cleaners bags.

Our house has a built-in Traexx system that is charged with insecticide, so perhaps that is the reason for no bugs.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:20 PM

61 posts, read 115,207 times
I brought way too much Maine winter gear! I just recently went through my closet, kept one winter coat, one hat and one pair of mittens. Everyone kept telling me last winter (my first NC winter) that it was the coldest winter they ever remembered. If that's the case, I am not too concerned about only keeping a small *cold* weather wardrobe.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:03 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,419 times
Nonsense... NC is not as cold as Maine, naturally but it is not a tropical area! It certainly isn't warm in the winter as some may have led you to believe. There will be days when you require multiple layers and it will be cold and damp. Not a great combination.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:05 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,419 times
Quote:

Do not store your wool without mothballs, they will get eaten by moths.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:06 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times
We kept all our winter stuff when we moved back from Iowa. Most has been used. We did part with the snowblower, and after a storm while in Charlotte, wish I had it, too. But within a day, it was 50.

What northerners (I did not say Yankees) don't get is that it gets pretty cold in much of NC, but it does not last long. That is really the biggest difference. My lifestyle at 30 degrees and - 30 was not that much different.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
Do not store your wool without mothballs, they will get eaten by moths.
This is what I thought. I have never used mothballs here and have never had problems but I suspected mothballs would be necessary in the South.

I keep picturing all these clothes damp and moldy. That's what I'm really concerned with - in the event that there's a power outage, is there a special way to store these clothes so they aren't destroyed by mold?

Old 07-22-2014, 06:45 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
Mothballs are toxic! I would never use them. I have stored plenty of wool and have never had a problem with moths. Get some cedar hangers if you're really worried about it.

You'll need one winter coat, a couple of pairs of gloves, maybe 1 pair of winter boots (you may only need them once every couple of years, but they're nice to have when it does snow), whatever kinds of scarves and hats you want. I wouldn't advise snow pants unless you ski or have small kids who like to play in the snow. I never had any growing up. We used to scotch guard our jeans to go skiing, but I have picked some up in area thrift stores for my kids and they are nice. I would NEVER pay full price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina