Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2014, 07:31 PM

3 posts, read 4,287 times

Advertisements

Hi! We currently live in Chesapeake, Va - so not very far from KDH, NC. We have vacationed in the OBX many times and have visited at different times of the year. I am finishing up Occupational Therapy Assistant school in May 2014. I have seen numerous pediatric jobs in the OBX area and noticed that the First Flight Schools get excellent ratings. We like the Collington area and like that KDH is near enough to the bridge to drive back up to Chesapeake if we want to. We are mainly homebodies, but like the beach and hiking in the woods.....OBX offers both. We have two dogs, and we like to swim. My husband would like to have a boat someday and fish with our son. I have done real estate searches and the houses on the soundside (where we would prefer to live), are quite reasonable in comparison to Hampton Roads VA. But I am wondering if it is expensive tax wise or for homeowners insurance? We are only looking for modest living - we are kind of minimalist. We don't do the "keeping up with the joneses" type of living, but do take pride in our home (keeping it maintained and cute). I am just looking for any input from anyone who lives in the area, pron & cons, particularly if you have children. Our son will be starting middle school in 2 years, so this would be a good time to make a move while he can still adapt and make new friends. We really don't like Hampton Roads much at all and would like to find somewhere simpler to live. Thanks for any imput!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 10:40 PM

264 posts, read 907,588 times
We live in KDH. Great schools here but most jobs pay poorly. Homeowners with wind and floodi can be expensive. Lots of people want to live here so employers pay as little as possible and there is always someone new moving in to replace them. I know a few people that commute to Chesapeake Medical Center from KDH because of the low pay/poor morale at OBX hospital. Gas is more expensive. Plenty of drugs here. You have the party crowd and the church crowd. I love the winters and every summer I think of moving. Crowds get old. Having said all that it's a nice place to live.

Last edited by runnerguy45; 07-27-2014 at 10:58 PM..

Old 07-28-2014, 05:37 AM

Thanks! Not crazy about "plenty of drugs here". We aren't party people. I think Hampton Roads pays pretty crappy due to the huge turn over of labor with the Navy presence. That's the biggest thing I hate - how transient it is. Employers can always find someone to replace you. I rarely meet locals here anymore. I was hoping KDH would have a solid local community outside of the tourist season and a neutral ground between party crowd and church crowd. And if the hospital has low morale, that doesn't make for good healthcare. Sad to hear this, but thanks for the input! I would consider Currituck County instead, but the schools don't get as good ratings.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:54 AM

264 posts, read 907,588 times
I like Currituck and also take a strong look at Camden county whose schools are known to be very good.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:04 PM

Thanks! I will!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina