Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 01:02 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,202 times

Advertisements

If you can find an area of the country where you will get great customer service, repair service, etc....in a timely and cost effective manner on a regular basis, please share!!! I don't think that is Wilmington exclusive to get bad service!

Dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 03:52 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,341,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crshafer View Post
why are you still there fortysixandtwo? what keeps you in NC?
You know, I was wondering that myself......

Old 01-20-2008, 04:30 PM

22 posts, read 50,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
If you can find an area of the country where you will get great customer service, repair service, etc....in a timely and cost effective manner on a regular basis, please share!!! I don't think that is Wilmington exclusive to get bad service!

Dawn
california is worse. as a tile installation company, we can't get employee to show up for work and there have been occasions when they are no where to be found for a week or two and then they just show up ready to work! on the other side of the fence, as a consumer, most contractors hire non- english speaking people who usually don't know how or much care to do the job.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:57 PM

83 posts, read 367,649 times
I can't speak for California...and I know in general it is bad everywhere...and last but not least I am not a wordly traveler by any stretch of the imagination...but this is the worst place I have experienced as far as reliable repairmen/dependability/customer service. The place grew too fast...too many folks wanting service and too few competent people.

My first experience...I called Charter Cable daily to come out...begging them to take my money...this went on for two weeks and I gave up. Went with DirecTV. Three months later...they show up literally at the front door.

My second experience...the roofing guy who shows up to fix the same problem he didn't fix the first time and has the audacity to hand me the same outrageous bill.

Several folks who didn't bother to show up or even call back. My neighbor...a middle aged divorced woman...can tell you horror stories about the folks...who bother to show up...giving her ridicilous prices because she is a woman and doesn't know any better. I can go on and on. I wish we could start a board or maybe a thread here where we could post recommendations and feedback for local services. What say you SunnyKayak? This would be a tremendous asset.

Anyway...here is what you do...for those of you who are thinking about relocating to the area...since I'm sure you have extra minutes on your cellphone account...call up some folks...fence...plumbers...HVAC folks...cable...anything else. See how many call you back. Good luck.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:44 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,509,934 times
You can do recommindations here but you cannot do consumer complaints
Also there is a fine line between advertising and recommindations becareful not to cross it for instance if you are going to recommend plumbeer I would list 2 more verses just one.

Also try Angies List for ratings of companies for complaints I would try Consumer Affairs.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:43 PM

191 posts, read 809,596 times
These so called problems that give fortysixandtwo fits don't seem to be a matter of life or death. They are problems that one might encounter anywhere. But you can't encounter Wilmington's booming job market just anywhere. And putting food on the table and having a good roof on your shoulder in a safe neighborhood is a matter of life and death. Many people can overlook the lack of a rich culture for job security. Pittsburgh has an interesting culture and cultural amenities, but what good is it in a depressed job market?

Old 01-20-2008, 09:37 PM

22 posts, read 50,962 times
so if we move our tile installation business from california to wilmington, you think we would stay busy?

Old 01-21-2008, 06:32 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,475,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianbluesboy View Post
These so called problems that give fortysixandtwo fits don't seem to be a matter of life or death. They are problems that one might encounter anywhere. But you can't encounter Wilmington's booming job market just anywhere.
Booming? Maybe. Wilmington has seen a surge in jobs. But that's just one factor, "number of jobs". That doesn't factor in how well those jobs pay, which compared to Raleigh and Charlotte is pretty low. Nor does it factor in how much the population has grown.

It also the most expensive place to live in North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia (per a study earlier this year). Combine that with the fact that we have low paying jobs, and it can be difficult for working class people to get by.

So if we weren't having a surge in jobs, we'd be really out of luck right now. We'd look like South Carolina, where unemployment and population have both kept going up, up, up.

To clarify, I like it here and I would recommend moving here for a specific job (which I did). I would certainly not move here to look for a job, with the idea that the market was great.

Quote:
And putting food on the table and having a good roof on your shoulder in a safe neighborhood is a matter of life and death. Many people can overlook the lack of a rich culture for job security. Pittsburgh has an interesting culture and cultural amenities, but what good is it in a depressed job market?
I like my roof to sit on walls, not on my shoulders.. but I hear ya. The majority of Wilmington is safe.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:59 AM

83 posts, read 367,649 times
Booming job market? Wilmington? Are you talking about Wilmington Ohio/Deleware? My wife who works in Topsail...seasonal...and it took her a long time to find that job...works with UNCW graduates who wait tables and drive from Leland...and even Morehead City to wait tables. Another lady is leaving for Texas because she can't find regular income here. The Subway Sandwich Shop I visit in Castle Hayne has had the same folks working there for almost four years now...same story with the Food Lion in Hampstead. If thats not an indication of the lack of jobs here I don't know what is. Even some of these places are closing...Smoky Bones Restaurant...and that furniture store. The base here...what there is of it is General Electric...The Hospital...then tourism...thats it.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:57 AM

116 posts, read 533,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianbluesboy View Post
These so called problems that give fortysixandtwo fits don't seem to be a matter of life or death. They are problems that one might encounter anywhere. But you can't encounter Wilmington's booming job market just anywhere. And putting food on the table and having a good roof on your shoulder in a safe neighborhood is a matter of life and death. Many people can overlook the lack of a rich culture for job security. Pittsburgh has an interesting culture and cultural amenities, but what good is it in a depressed job market?
Agreed, the job market has really changed in just the six years we've been here. It seems employers are finding Wilmington. If folks want to work there appears to be many jobs to choose from (both white and blue collar). Even the film industry here has been picking up the last couple years.

online jobs, job search and career education - Star-News - Wilmington, NC - StarNewsOnline.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina