Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 05:25 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,854,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo View Post
...since folks don't want to see both sides of the issue on the other thread...I will start a new thread. Look...you can continue to ignore the warnings from mother nature if you choose...but the fact of the matter is that a devestating storm is on the way for the Carolina Coast. It could be this year...next or who knows when. These are the facts.
As my Grandfather used to say "some people would bi-ch if ya hanged them with a new rope!", or "you can't please everyone, and some people you can't please at all."

Old 01-09-2008, 08:57 PM

5,334 posts, read 4,422,550 times
Quote:
...since folks don't want to see both sides of the issue on the other thread...I will start a new thread. Look...you can continue to ignore the warnings from mother nature if you choose...but the fact of the matter is that a devestating storm is on the way for the Carolina Coast. It could be this year...next or who knows when. These are the facts.
What other thread?

Could it be that people aren't listening because they know about hurricanes?
The Carolina coast has been hit by many hurricanes. I have been through quite a few during my 15 years living in Wilmington. More are coming. That is a fact. No way around it. So what?

We that grew up with hurricanes are more prepared for them than the poor souls that experience landslides, tornadoes and earthquakes. At least we know that the hurricanes are coming sometimes as much as a week in advance. They don't.

There are preparations that can be made in the wake of a hurricane. If you (the collective meaning) don't prepare well, that's your (again collective) problem. My family and I leave when a high category 3 is on it's way. I can replace a house but not my family.

If you are a come here and you think that hurricanes are nothing more than a glorified storm, buy a TV. You evidently don't watch the news or the weather channel. If you don't get a clue when you see the lines at the stores to buy the staples and ply wood well, again, that's your problem.

What you will find after a hurricane is the greatest people anywhere. We all band together to help our neighbors if the need be. Oh, and the cookouts we have after the electricity goes out and food defrosts!

Yeah, Mother Nature can be brutal but, she sure has a way of bringing people together.

Disclaimer: The use of the words YOU & YOURS was meant in the collective and/or general manner throughout this post. They were not directed toward anyone personally.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:56 PM

5,334 posts, read 4,422,550 times
Ahhhhhhhhh Hugo! I forgot about him. lol He sure made an impact on me. Oh wait, that was one great after hurricane party.

Actually the worst damage that I ever had was from Isabel. She came up the Chesapeake Bay (after I moved from NC to VA) a cat 2. Unfortunately, she stalled right above us for 9 hours. Did alot of damage. Thankfully, I only lost part of the roof that we tarped when the eye went over. I was without power for almost 3 weeks! The electric guys that came from Alabama to help ate well.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:43 AM

83 posts, read 367,562 times
Yes...I suppose its one thing to bug out for a few hours only to return later to a few down limbs...a few shingles blown off the roof and maybe some other minimal damage. Going out on a limb here...pardon the pun...I think the attitude wouldn't be so matter of fact when upon returning all you see is a pile of rubble...boats in trees...well you get the picture. Don't forget about the galactically stupid who will try to ride it out and not live to tell about it. I will be the first to admit I was wrong when I see folks sitting around in lawn chairs grilling...laughing and living it up and taking it in stride when all that is left is rubble...not lamenting a lifetime of lost priceless items. Could happen...but I doubt it.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:04 PM

116 posts, read 532,965 times
I have insurance and therefore, I sleep well at night.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:13 PM

214 posts, read 822,520 times
Quote:
I just picked up your thread. I think it's best to keep in mind that anyone who moves close to any coast is well aware of the possibility of hurricanes. I've lived on the coast all my life, and you just learn what to do to prepare, and sit it out, unless you have to evacuate, which fortunately I have never had to do. Our weather forecasting has gotten very sophisticated, and there is plenty of warning. Some areas of the Carolina's are more susceptible than others, due to the currents and the lay of the land, and which way they are facing into the ocean. If you look on the map you will see which areas I am referring to. When I was younger we couldn't wait til the nor'easters came, loved swimming in those. Course I wouldn't do it now, looking back I can't believe I did it then, but it was magnificent.
I lived in San Francisco too, was terrified about earthquakes, and more terrified of tsunami's, there are hardly any warning for those. Do you know a week after I relocated away, the Oakland bridge collapsed, and I travelled on the bridge almost daily. I wouldn't trade living on the Carolina coast ever.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:54 PM

261 posts, read 1,216,405 times
Default Thank You to all who respond positively to living in the area, despite the hurricanes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashellbelle View Post
I just picked up your thread. I think it's best to keep in mind that anyone who moves close to any coast is well aware of the possibility of hurricanes. I've lived on the coast all my life, and you just learn what to do to prepare, and sit it out, unless you have to evacuate, which fortunately I have never had to do. Our weather forecasting has gotten very sophisticated, and there is plenty of warning. Some areas of the Carolina's are more susceptible than others, due to the currents and the lay of the land, and which way they are facing into the ocean. If you look on the map you will see which areas I am referring to. When I was younger we couldn't wait til the nor'easters came, loved swimming in those. Course I wouldn't do it now, looking back I can't believe I did it then, but it was magnificent.
I lived in San Francisco too, was terrified about earthquakes, and more terrified of tsunami's, there are hardly any warning for those. Do you know a week after I relocated away, the Oakland bridge collapsed, and I travelled on the bridge almost daily. I wouldn't trade living on the Carolina coast ever.
Your reply is very well stated. Every area has its natural disasters. At least we have warning with hurricanes.

There almost certainly will eventually be another hurricane on par with the devastation caused by Hazel in the 1950's. That was before my birth but we've all seen pictures and heard the stories. I lived near the coast my entire life and never saw a hurricane until the early 1980's. That was a minimal one. Hugo, in the late 1980's, had what seemed like two weeks of hype before finally making landfall. It caused horrific damage in the Charleston, SC area, but was really a non-event for New Hanover County as far as damage goes. I believe Charlotte and/or Raleigh got hammered far worse by Hugo because of the inland track. In my lifetime, it wasn't until the mid 1990's that we really saw hurricane action. If I remember right, in 1996 we had three to make landfall along our section of coast including Fran. We had hurricanes all through the late 1990's but they really weren't that bad. I think Floyd hit in 1999. I was living in Churchill Estates at the time. We evacuated ahead of the storm because it was forecast to be a Cat 4 or 5 when it made landfall. It turned out not to be that strong after all, but the amount of rain was truly astounding. We drove 5 hours before stopping to spend the night. Early the next morning we headed home. The flood waters rose rapidly, and we thought we were going to drown on Interstate 40. At one point, the water on the highway was up to our car doors. We made it home just barely. Many travelers behind us were actually stranded in the flood waters. Unnerved and terrified by the harrowing trip home, we were so happy to see our house was in tact. In fact, not even a tree limb had blown off a tree. We would have been safe at home after all! However, that said, it is truly unwise not to evacuate in the face of a Cat 4 or Cat 5. Even lesser hurricanes can spawn tornados. Just prepare in advance, have emergency money ready, have a plan for your beloved pets (mine is coming with me!), and go.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:06 PM

713 posts, read 3,927,754 times
Smile Well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashellbelle View Post
I wouldn't trade living on the Carolina coast ever.
I agree 100%. I feel fortunate to live here on the NC coast.

Even a cloudy day on the beach is something to be enjoyed.

Taken this afternoon, Third Street Beach, Emerald Isle.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:54 AM

251 posts, read 895,316 times
I'm not moving from the coast. If I do it is to move back home, which is only 70 miles inland.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:59 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,489,693 times
Here is a good thread on natural disasters in this state

North Carolina tops for weather disasters?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina