Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2015, 10:17 AM

21 posts, read 31,295 times

Advertisements

I'm wanting to move to NC and I am debating between Asheville, the triangle, and somewhere on the coast. I love what I've seen of Wilmington, but I'm looking at areas that I might not be aware of. I'm 24, single, work with adults with developmental disabilities. My budget for an apartment is 600-850. I'm not opposed to smaller towns, as long as there is a bigger area nearby.

Thank you all so much!

Last edited by brittanyann_16; 02-26-2015 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 10:23 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,381,322 times
Its hard to answer your question without knowing what areas you know about. Southport, Beaufort/Morehead City, Elizabeth City, New Bern...the list goes on. I think finding a job will be your biggest challenge.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:31 AM

You just named a ton of cities I hadn't really heard of so thank you! Now I can look into them more

Old 02-26-2015, 10:44 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittanyann_16 View Post
I'm 24, single, work with adults with developmental disabilities. My budget for an apartment is 600-850.
Have you checked with what agencies are hiring for your specialty? I think the availability of a suitable job would be the most important criterion. If you found a job in, for example, Jacksonville, you could live in Swansboro, Sneads Ferry, Beaufort or Morehead City. Jacksonville is neither beautiful nor desirable, but you can certainly find a small town nearby. Similarly, Elizabeth City may not be great to live in, but Hertford and Edenton are nearby.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:00 AM

I'm narrowing it down to places I would consider, then looking at what kind of jobs are in my field then choosing. Currently I'm working doing direct care with adults with developmental disabilities so these places are everywhere.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:50 AM

8,383 posts, read 4,366,655 times
It's good you can find work almost anywhere but you still need to narrow the field a bit.

What do you like? Ocean or mountain? Are you an out door person or more indoor, arts and crafts, reading, theater?

NC has most anything you are looking for. From the Piedmont the coast and mountains are just a couple of hours away.

The Triangle, Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill, have anything and everything. There are small bed room communities like Wake Forrest, Henderson, Apex, Pittsboro etc not to mention some of the best schools and hospitals in the nation.

Charlotte is the biggest city between Richmond and Atlanta. Asheville is not far from there. Asheboro is a smaller town full of pottery's and the NC State Zoo.

The list goes on and on. The coast has its own unique charm of touristy places and small town fishing villages.

If you want to water ski, snow ski, jet ski, hike, swim, boat ... NC has some of the best of it all. Don't forget the Smokey Mountains.

There is just so much .... like I said ... you need to decide what you want, what you are looking for .... and narrow down your search a bit. The single criteria of a rental budget doesn't narrow it very much.

Work to live, don't live to work ... decide where you want to LIVE ..... what you want to do outside of work ... that will help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina