Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 11:28 AM

116 posts, read 183,892 times

Advertisements

as I have posted before my family is going to be relocating to either Wilmington or Charleston Sc. I really need to try and talk with any nurse who can speak to the current salaries for experienced RNs at NHRMC. I don't want to know about new grad rates. This is a big factor in where we end up. If you would prefer to privately message me or contact me directly that would be fantastic epw519@aol.com thanks very much Efi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 12:38 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,626,359 times
Keep in mind New Hanover is the only hospital in town, that leads to lower pay rates than other areas. I know of a few nurses there that are frustrated with their salary, but there is no where else to go for more money.

In general it's a nice place to work, quality staff and equipment, good benefits but not as much money as other places. They had so many RNs turn down positions due to the low pay that they started to research their pay vs other places a few months ago, but so far nothing has come of it.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:58 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,426,286 times
I lived in Charleston for almost 20 years. MUSC is a teaching hospital. There are many jobs there, but they tend to hire from within. It's a desirable place to live. Housing in Charleston is VERY expensive, so factor that into your decision.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:21 PM

This is exactly the dilemma , charleston is more expensive but has multiple facilities that must compete with each other. When I arrive inMay I will have 15 years of experience and a BSN degree. Many more job opportunities in charleston but the housing market in wilmington is still somewhat better for a buyer.. The prices are going up there as well. My experience and education commands a certain level of pay. I have been told to expect new hanover to be Atleast $10 less an hour than MUSC , completely unacceptable . Cost of living is irrelevant and hospitals that are paying new grads less than I made as a new grad 15 years ago should be ashamed . Perhaps the nurses should unionize?
....... All way above and beyond my question ... I just want to have some idea of what to expect . I don't believe in wasting their time or mine
Thanks for the responses

Old 02-28-2015, 12:44 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,626,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by efipoliRN View Post
This is exactly the dilemma , charleston is more expensive but has multiple facilities that must compete with each other. When I arrive inMay I will have 15 years of experience and a BSN degree. Many more job opportunities in charleston but the housing market in wilmington is still somewhat better for a buyer.. The prices are going up there as well. My experience and education commands a certain level of pay. I have been told to expect new hanover to be Atleast $10 less an hour than MUSC , completely unacceptable . Cost of living is irrelevant and hospitals that are paying new grads less than I made as a new grad 15 years ago should be ashamed . Perhaps the nurses should unionize?
....... All way above and beyond my question ... I just want to have some idea of what to expect . I don't believe in wasting their time or mine
Thanks for the responses
The problem with nursing is that everyone still thinks there is a nursing shortage. during the recession many people had their chosen careers vaporize and went into nursing. I know at least 6 people that have become or are becoming RNs since the recession. There are so many new grads, and such desperation to get placed for new grads that they'll take almost any amount of money just to get in. There are forums loaded with "old new grads" that didn't get jobs for over a year after graduating.

When my wife graduated I saw some places offering new grads under $19 an hour. For a job that literally has lives depending on it. In the future nurses will be facing lower salaries and much more competition for every job. There are just too many new nurses being pumped out of community colleges to keep salaries up. We were living in Phoenix at the time, and we estimated that the colleges there were putting upwards of 2,000 new nurses into the local market twice a year. That's happening all across America.

My wife is working towards her BSN now. She's already been told not to expect any increase in salary when she completes the program.

If we had it to do over again we would have chosen a city with more work options for her. Wilmington is a good little town, but it's a depressed area. It's options for medical pros are pretty limited and the employers know it.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:32 AM

Vinny536, thank you so much for your response. You are 100% right about the non nursing shortage. We will be coming from Boston and it is the same here only worse. New grads without their BSNs don't stand a chance...not even in nursing homes, most younger ones immediately enroll in an RN to BSN program upon graduation. The new grad BSNs are not fairing much better either. There are hundreds of nurses applying for each open position at every community hospital, never mind the big medical centers in downtown Boston. 1000s of applicants. There is no nursing shortage!!! If you don't know somebody you can't even get an interview, period.
I have spoken to HR reps at two big hospitals in Charleston and they seam very interested in me. I can't get anybody in HR at NHRMC to even call me back. I have not applied for a position, just inquired about nursing positions in general. No return call or response to my emails but yet pretty quick responses back from same kind of inquiries in Charleston.
I am coming to check things out again next weekend, this will be the last trip to determine whether Wilmington in an option or not.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:16 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by efipoliRN View Post
I can't get anybody in HR at NHRMC to even call me back. I have not applied for a position, just inquired about nursing positions in general.
I understand that is typical of NHRMC. According to a friend who was searching, Onslow Memorial won't answer general questions either. She finally did get an offer from NRHMC after she had been here 6 months.

She has many years of experience, but I won't ask what salary she was offered.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:41 PM

8,382 posts, read 4,369,703 times
I think RN's do a bit better if they specialize. I think infomatics, oncology, infusion, nurse practitioners etc. can make good money without the hardships of working the floor or the politics of fighting the corporate ladder.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:10 AM

3 posts, read 6,724 times
hello,
I am about to start at NHRMC. Will be commuting from Onslow county. Any nurses interested in carpooling? M-F for dayshift?

Old 05-21-2015, 10:15 AM

4 posts, read 11,497 times
Hi. I have been offered a position at NHRMC to start in July. What do you think of it so far? What have you found to be good/bad? I'm coming from another state entirely, but do have quite a few years of experience in both nursing and respiratory. However, the salary they offered was still considerably low compared to what I make now and that was after I negotiated. I'm just not sure that it's worth it. Can you help?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina