Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2015, 11:29 AM
pbm pbm started this thread

8 posts, read 14,471 times

Advertisements

I noticed that some houses are on a canal outside of the river (say, Rivershore drive). Who is responsible for dredging those canals? The city? The Corps? Is it included in taxes or do homeowners have to pay for it?

if you were to rent a house, do you have to worry about owning a sailboat and grounding?

Thanks for any insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 07:14 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,880 times
I think the Corps only gets involved if it's a shipping channel or something of that nature. In the case of your canal, they would have to approve of any work done by anyone else but that would be the limit of their involvement.

I don't think the county or state would have the funds to dredge a canal for one boater. The city certainly wouldn't do it if the property is outside of the city and it's not likely that many cities here in the East have the extra funds laying around for something like that.

You are more than welcome to hire a private contractor to dredge the canal but there may be an expensive and lengthy permit process involved. I used to live on the South River off of the Chesapeake Bay and it was a nightmare to get approval from the many involved agencies to do anything connected to tidal water.

As far as grounding your blow boat goes, whether you can navigate a specific canal or not depends on your boat and the intended berthing place. Does it have a retractable centerboard? How big is the boat and how much water does it draw? This is an impossible question to answer.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:24 AM

Thanks for the info Richard, it makes sense to me.

Re-reading my question, even I'm not sure what I meant about grounding... so we'll scratch that.

There are a few houses there and one has a pontoon - doesn't draw a lot of water - so I'd be concerned if I had a sailboat. The landlord says it's good for 6' but I'm not sure.

Appreciate the help!

Old 03-02-2015, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbm View Post
There are a few houses there and one has a pontoon - doesn't draw a lot of water - so I'd be concerned if I had a sailboat. The landlord says it's good for 6' but I'm not sure.
Well... You know there's only one way to know for sure... Enjoy the day on the water and try not to get stuck in that canal. Make sure you do it at low tide.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Well... You know there's only one way to know for sure... Enjoy the day on the water and try not to get stuck in that canal. Make sure you do it at low tide.
you are correct on low tide! I was thinking of bringing the stinkpot with the depthfinder first and seeing what it reads.

The Corps also has a 'contact us' page, I sent an inquiry to them. Will update the thread with their response.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:55 AM

Hey, do you know the difference between a sailboater and a powerboater?

When the sailboater has to pass gas he says "Pardon me" and goes below decks. The powerboater says "Pull my finger".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina