Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 08:40 AM

10 posts, read 36,578 times

Advertisements

I would like to know if the first black state and national political representatives; Particularly those from Princeville/Tarboro. Also...I would love to here from the next generation in Princeville and Tarboro....what their feelings are about Princeville procuring their own US Postoffice(zip code). This town was the first settlement in the US founded by freed slaves(as early as 1775) and was chartered in 1885. Why do they have to depend on the neighboring town of Tarboro to receive their mail? Congressman G. K. Butterfield of nearby Wilson, NC had a press release on this subject back on December 7, 2005, but nothing has been done. For this historic community to have pride in themselves and their town, this would be a huge beginning. I really wish to hear from young people still in the school system who wish to, or wish not to, see this town grow and prosper. Why? How? Does the town need more places to go and things to do for the youth to direct them in the proper direction? A community center? Basketball courts? Baseball/softball fields? Little League and Pop Warner Football programs, and the like. What do you think?....How do you think it could be accomplished?.....would you get involved...If so...HOW? This town has been in existance for approximately 232 years and doesn't have a POST OFFICE? Where is the pride?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 10:22 AM

Sorry...The first sentence above should read: "I would like to know if the first black state and national political representatives(State Senate...US Congress) came from Princeville/Tarboro and who they were."

Old 01-15-2008, 01:24 PM

I wanted the names of the first STATE Senator(in the state legislature) and the first US Congressman.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:15 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,915,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Robb View Post
I wanted the names of the first STATE Senator(in the state legislature) and the first US Congressman.
John Adams Hyman (1840-1891) was North Carolina’s first black congressman. He served in the United States House of Representatives from 1875-1877.

Three Blacks were elected to the NC State Senate in 1868. Names unknown.

Last edited by mm34b; 01-15-2008 at 04:44 PM..

Old 12-29-2008, 07:12 PM

1 posts, read 4,253 times
Default Princeville Pride

Stephen, I applaud you for your efforts to get the youth of Princeville involved in making change for the better to their own community. Too often today our youth get caught in the trap of boredom and lack of initiative. With your questions you have placed the idea of "what can I do to make my community one that will thrive and lift my fellow youths up."
My father's family is from this town and many of them are still there. I hope to someday visit this groundbreaking historical town. It stands as a wonderful reminder of my African-American pride.

Thanks,
Antonio Rollins
(Ancestor of the Knight/Rollins Family)

Old 10-28-2009, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,895 times
Hello stephen thank you for your questions very good ones at that my name is Theresa and i live in Princeville also running for mayor and i put that ion the table as part of my platform because i deal with a lot of youth and they are bored we do want to focus on them as well a recreation center for them, aklso it is very important for princeville to stand up and have its on post office and zip code this will happen by the grace of God so i hope this do anwers some of your questions thank you for inquring bout this historical town.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:31 PM

160 posts, read 786,520 times
I don't know anything about this town but I would think that the need to put a post office there would be directly tied to the population and or/demand for mail service in the area. I'm just guessing but I would think if the town was in existance for 200+ years and has never had a post office, it's probably due to a lack of a need for one (rural community, low population density, ect). As for community children being bored, that sounds like a wonderful opportunity for someone to start a business. Why doesn't someone open some type of entertainment facility for the community kids (and adults) which would keep them from being bored, provide a few jobs, generate some revenue for the owner and provide some tax revenue for the community. It just may be the first step in a snowball effect that promotes more local businesses, more jobs, some population growth and maybe even a viable need for a post office.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:31 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,663,987 times
Didn't the people of Princeville accuse Rocky Mount or Wilson of complicity in the flooding after Hurricane Floyd. Like it was a plot or something, in cahoots with Ma Nature I guess. What was up with that?

Old 06-19-2011, 08:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,855 times
There are many people across the country and world that have ties back to Princeville, NC. I myself am one. I am searching for family on my Mother's father side of the family. My mother is 80 years old. Her first name is Gatsie. Her Father's name was Joe Everett. My mom meet two of her siblings on her father's side of the family when she was a little girl. Their names were Joe jr and Minnie. If anyone know of the Everetts, I hope I am spelling the last name correctly, please contact me 202-302-5450. It would be nice to start a page where descendants of people from Princeville, NC can connect.

Craig

Last edited by Kappaman98; 06-19-2011 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: defining subject matter

Old 06-22-2011, 10:32 AM

720 posts, read 1,702,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa Williams View Post
Hello stephen thank you for your questions very good ones at that my name is Theresa and i live in Princeville also running for mayor and i put that ion the table as part of my platform because i deal with a lot of youth and they are bored we do want to focus on them as well a recreation center for them, aklso it is very important for princeville to stand up and have its on post office and zip code this will happen by the grace of God so i hope this do anwers some of your questions thank you for inquring bout this historical town.
In our small town we have a lot of adults involved in sports with the kids, both through the schools and outside of school teams. Soccer, volleyball,swimming,tennis,football,baseball are some. Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, and our teeny library has a lot of kid's programs. Just some low expense ideas. The important thing is getting the parents involved. There are also grants available for programs for the kids. Just some ideas---I know how important it is for the kids to feel "connected" to something. Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina