Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2006, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 4,617 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I might be moving to the Wilmington area from Los Angeles for grad school at UNCW. After four years in the city, my husband and I are looking to move to a small community with good schools for our five-year-old. Based solely on the map, I'm looking at Seagate, Wrightsville Beach, and Masonboro, but I know nothing about the communities, except that they seem close to UNCW.

On a side note, how is the traffic in the Wilmington area? It can't be worse than L.A.

Thanks!
l.a.gradstudent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2006, 05:48 PM

1 posts, read 4,613 times
Hi,
I don't personally live in Wilmington but my daughter does. She graduates from UNCW in May. She loves it there. She actually is getting on a plane right now headed for LA. How weird is that? The traffic is trying at times, worse in the summer, of course. I am not familiar with Seagate or Masonboro. Wrightsville Beach is a beautiful place. Some friends of mine recently moved from Wilmington closer to Monkey Juntion living there 10 yrs said the schools were great. I can only suggest that you visit the area and check out the websites as much as possible. The local Wrightsville beach webcam is www.wrightsville.com/bchcam.htm. I hope this helps you some.
Good luck on your move.

Old 03-30-2006, 01:38 AM

5 posts, read 48,973 times
Wilmington is great..Wrightsville is a bit more pricier....Just be cautious about the area of Wilmington you choose..You could probably call the police dept to see where the lower areas of crime are..i don't believe there is much crime there, probably just average....we used to vacation there all the time when we lived in NC....Goodluck!...P.S. I wouldn't say Wilmington is a small community..probably compared to L.A. it is!..lol

Old 04-11-2006, 09:30 AM

45 posts, read 218,547 times
Hi! I live near Orlando now but grew up in Wilm. (Hoggard High School district) Wilmington is growing quickly and getting busier each year. (nothing compared to Orlando and LA!!) We are considering a move back to NC (raleigh or Wilm)because Orlando is just too crazy. We have 2 children under 4 and would stay in the Hoggard district if we go to Wilm. Parents live in the Masonboro Sound area and it's beautiful. Let me know if you need any more specifics!

Old 04-17-2006, 08:57 AM

958 posts, read 2,620,500 times
Traffic is terrible. Not LA terrible, but bad for a city this size. No freeways, period, except one that runs into town from the North (I-40) and ends before you get into town. There's a loop around the city now too, but it's way out and doesn't ease traffic much into town. It helps if you want to drive from Raleigh to Myrtle Beach and avoid the city, but that's it. The city has grown too fast and there is nowhere else to build roads. College Road is the worst (the main N-S thoroughfare), and Market Street and Oleander (E-W) are nearly as bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina