Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2015, 03:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,213 times

Advertisements

Hello, me and my wife are considering a move to Greenville and I'm trying to get a better understanding of the crime in Greenville. City-data is missing years of data, so it's hard to get a good picture of whether crime is trending downwards, upwards, or neither.

//www.city-data.com/city/Greenv...-Carolina.html In 2008, the crime rate is 551, and seems to be in line with most of the rest of the years available for Greenville. However, the newest available crime rate is 2012, which shows a crime rate of 375. I'm trying to ascertain if this was an anomaly, or if crime is really on the downward trend. Stats are missing for 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, so it's quite an incomplete picture.

Can someone fill me in, either with personal observations, or perhaps with more statistics? I've done some digging, but haven't come up with much. And please, no "there's crime everywhere" comments. Of course there's crime everywhere, but I have a much better chance of being robbed or shot in East St. Louis than I do elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 07:08 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,259,536 times
There are multiple threads with recent comments about this topic on this forum.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:33 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,102,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesomesunshine View Post
Can someone fill me in, either with personal observations, or perhaps with more statistics? I've done some digging, but haven't come up with much. And please, no "there's crime everywhere" comments. Of course there's crime everywhere, but I have a much better chance of being robbed or shot in East St. Louis than I do elsewhere.
No, the statistics you read are not an anomaly. A new mayor a few years back and a new non corrupt chief of police did wonders. The Greenville of the late 90s and early 2000s is gone, hopefully for good. Unfortunately, the police chief recently left so the hunt is on for a replacement. Mayor Thomas is a good administrator so I have confidence that he will find a very suitable replacement.

There is still some crime. The violent crime when it does happen, is usually restricted to those types and areas where you might expect it. Murders are down significantly, and I've never heard of anybody being killed during a holdup in Greenville. Of note: There was a brutal triple murder at a convenience store a few years ago in Farmville. The "brains" behind this crime had just been released from prison in another state for a violent offense and was allowed to move to this area. He was only in the area for a short while when he killed an elderly couple in Williamston and then pulled off the robbery/triple murder in Farmville with his gang of thug buddies a couple of days later. Everybody involved were quickly arrested including some people that were accomplices after the fact.

Aside from that the worst that happens is some drunk will get rolled in downtown after midnight and break ins.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:01 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,856,412 times
There is definitely a downward trend....here is an article for 2014.

GPD: Crime mostly down in 2014 - Greenville, NC | News | Weather | Sports - WNCT.com

Two things to highlight that are impressive...

1) ZERO vehicle crash fatalities

2) The homicide rate was at its lowest points in the last 20 years.

That 2nd one goes back to 1994. That is a different era.

I have made this prediction on a few threads...as the 10th St Connector gets under construction soon, watch as the crime rate continues to plummet...nothing deters crime like daily construction activity on a huge project in the middle of your highest crime area for an extended period of time. If the City continues with its active enforcement, and tearing down dilapidated properties in these neighborhoods, the crime rate may be permanently decreased in Greenville.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:39 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,404,939 times
Greenville isn't violent unless you hang in the ghetto parts, with thug friends - same applies to any city. Stay out of the trashy neighborhoods and don't run with bad crowds. Most violence occurs because of bad drug deals or someone's "baby momma" got mad and set their house on fire. Not much violence to random strangers if that's your concern. No.

If you stick to the decent crowds of people and areas, you are as safe as you are anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: