Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 09:05 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,492,769 times

Advertisements

Having been to both areas for over 25 years the beaches and water is much clearer in Ocean Isle Beach and Sunset Beach compared to the the beaches North of Holden Beach in my opinion. To me Sunset Beach is the cleanest beach in NC and that is why we are focusing on that area for our retirement. Much nicer than NJ beaches..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 09:49 AM

17 posts, read 21,839 times
Thanks to everyone for the info. I was not expected bright blue water but hoping to hear there are areas that are clearer. I have heard that the Atlantic Beach area has clearer water. From what I have been able to ascertain AB area does not have the abundance of newer home communities with amenities that Sunset, Ocean Isle, Shallotte areas have.

Are there parking problems during the summer at Ocean Isle, Sunset and Holden Beach?

Once again, thanks.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:13 AM

1,154 posts, read 1,419,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gina m View Post
I am considering relocating to Coastal North Carolina in a year or so. I originally visited the Wilmington & Southport area last August and was disappointed with the ocean water at the beaches (Wrightsville, Carolina and Oak Island) really murky and dark. I know its not the Caribbean but its not near what I expected. I was also told that beach parking is inadequate during the summer and you need to get there first thing in the morning to get a parking space. Neither of these is what I am looking for so I have shifted my focus and am looking in Ocean Isle, Sunset Beach, Calabash area. Is the water clearer at the southern part of N. Carolina (Ocean Isle, Sunset, Holden Beach) and is there parking at these beaches??

The beach is really important in my relocation selection. Any opinions or suggestion is appreciated. Thanks.
Please just consider a totally different area to move to and be thankful for honest peeps at C/D. You will NOT change the beaches along the NC coast (or any coast, for that matter) nor will you enjoy the 'summer crowds' who have it engrained in their brains that 'the beach' is what they save up for the other 11 months of every year). They grew up doing that and teach their kids the same. It's GREAT for businesses on the coast, but for year 'rounders it's annoying and will make you hate where you live.
You will do much better in the state of FL on either coast. I am a native Floridian and can attest to both coasts, though the water is still not what you see in the Virgin Islands or that area...but closer to what your dreams are of.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:17 AM

1,154 posts, read 1,419,655 times
Quote:
Thanks to everyone for the info. I was not expected bright blue water but hoping to hear there are areas that are clearer. I have heard that the Atlantic Beach area has clearer water. From what I have been able to ascertain AB area does not have the abundance of newer home communities with amenities that Sunset, Ocean Isle, Shallotte areas have.

Are there parking problems during the summer at Ocean Isle, Sunset and Holden Beach?

Once again, thanks.
Not sure which 'Atlantic Beach' you are speaking about, and I try never to assume. BUT, Atlantic Beach in Jacksonville, FL is a lot closer to the beach you are seeking. As far as the type of newer homes in that same area, NOT is enough said.

Old 05-02-2015, 12:11 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,413,975 times
Quote:

Once again, thanks.
People will park near the beach to go to the beach all summer.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:18 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,492,769 times
Correctamondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
People will park near the beach to go to the beach all summer.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:05 PM

17 posts, read 21,839 times
Mooksmom... I appreciate your view on the summer crowds. I am sure anyone who has lived in coastal areas for many years has had their fill of the vacationers. I am a die hard beach goer and travel 3hrs r/t every weekend to go to a beach in CT with murky water but lots of parking. Once retired I would like to live in a community with amenities close to the beach with nicer water. I will keep looking or keep dreaming...

I hear you about FL and I know there are areas the water is beautiful but not sure FL has the other things I am looking for.
Thanks.

Old 05-03-2015, 06:59 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,270,376 times
I really don't think the water is clear until you get to south Florida. It's probably pretty similar to what you have in CT all the way down the eastern seaboard.

And yes, parking can be tricky in the summer or holiday weekends since the beach is always a popular warm weather destination.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:57 AM

13,361 posts, read 26,911,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
And yes, parking can be tricky in the summer or holiday weekends since the beach is always a popular warm weather destination.
Thus the appeal of communities with private beach clubs such as St James. However, even they are reported to be crowded on weekends.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:51 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,028,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Thus the appeal of communities with private beach clubs such as St James. However, even they are reported to be crowded on weekends.
One thing to consider about these developments is how many more residents they expect and the crowds created by the increase in population.

The 3 popular developments with beach houses are SJP, ORP and WR.

St. James has built 2500+ homes, total build out is 5000+, their beach house is on Oak Island.

Winding River has built 650 homes with a build out of 1200, their beach house is on Holden beach.

Ocean Ridge has built 600 homes with a build out of 2500, their beach house is on Sunset beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina