Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 03:16 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,449,708 times

Advertisements

Depends upon what you are looking for when you go to the beach, I guess. Growing up, I loved Wrightsville Beach, but as a young woman, and a Mommy with a little one, I absolutely hated going down there unless I had no reason to try to come off the island. Traffic, at some times of the day, and during peak season, was horrible. Some tourists didn't seem to understand 'NO Parking' signs, and there were always tow trucks making good money. I can't begin to tell you the number of times we had to have cars pulled out of our driveway, or would come off the strand to find someone rinsing-off at our house. Most of the neighbors along the oceanfront had the same problems.

I guess with the amount of traffic on the island, trying to get over the drawbridge, and the crowds everywhere, it just became a lot less pleasurable to me as I got older.

It is a beautiful beach, and there is relatively easy access to Wilmington. I never go to the beach, however, with the idea I'll be coming off it -- maybe that is just me. I don't get bored at the shore, even when it rains.

Maybe I am guilty of letting what has happened to Wrightsville over the past 30-40 years, and NOT liking it, has colored how I look at the beach today. Other, smaller, beaches seem to have more of the flavor of a 'family' beach and what I grew up with at Wrightsville. The end of it for me was when Wings came in, to be honest -- too commercial, too much like 'a Myrtle Beach' and not at all what Wrightsville Beach was like in the 1960s -- 1990s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 09:19 AM

906 posts, read 2,382,037 times
I would also suggest Atlantic Beach, or even better, Emerald Isle. EI is located on the same island as AB, just at the opposite end. I prefer both to Wrightsville because its less crowded and less commercial. I like the slower pace.

Beaufort & Morehead City are nearby and there's a really cute town, Swansboro that is very close to Emerald Isle.

How long are you staying? I personally like staying at an oceanfront house rather than a hotel, but if you want a pool a hotel would be better. Houses with pools are usually too expensive for just one small family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina