Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 04:44 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,378,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summergal15 View Post
Thank you for your comments! NCN - you mention Beaufort as being a possible good place to retire/live, but I would be concerned of flooding especially due to hurricanes (Morehead City/Beaufort was #2 for hurricane hits, 2nd to Outer Bank, NC), although Poppydog is not as concerned. You also mention Southport as not as much of a hurricane risk, but I've read in postings that the land in Southport is 'sinking' (a different term was used), so is that a concern? Thanks.
It is impossible to predict where a hurricane might strike, so picking somewhere to live based on that seems silly to me.

I live in Southport and have never heard anything about it "sinking". Sounds like rubbish to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 02:37 PM

10 posts, read 38,957 times
"Subsidence" is the word I was looking for - having to do with the impact to coastal towns due to rising sea levels. It affects many coastal states - NJ, Delaware, Maryland, North Carolina, etc. An article that discusses this about North Carolina can be found at: NC science panel's draft sea level rise report released for publ - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC , which cites Duck, the Oregon Inlet, Beaufort, Wilmington and Southport in NC. Another related article pertaining to Delaware can be found at: Sea Level Rise and its Effect on Delaware

It's something that coastal towns/states should actively be looking for preventive solutions to preserving the Atlantic (and Pacific) coasts and this problem that isn't going to go away. That being said, Southport, NC, is a charming town that we really liked when we took our tour through some coastal SC and NC towns in June.

Old 07-16-2015, 04:01 PM

4 posts, read 8,421 times
Smile Climate and coastal NC

Summergal, thank you for your postings. My husband and I are in AZ and looking to move to NC coast, to be closer to family. I've been following your postings with interest, as we have similar desires and concerns about where to land!

Take a look at Climate Central: Surging Seas 2.0 for flood risks in various places.

Have you decided upon a final location yet? From the Internet, we seem to favor Magnolia Greens, but I haven't found enough info about HOA fees, etc.

Our budget is much smaller than yours, as we've been retired for a few years. We are looking at townhouses (maintenance free!). Out here in AZ, we live in a lovely retirement community, in a 2000+ sq foot home (too big for us), with a high maintenance desert landscape with trees (weeds grow well in gravel). Our community has 3 heated pools and a spa, a gym, restaurant, and tons of active adult organizations that keep us very busy. Our HOA is $104/month (just went up to that). We hate to leave it. It is not easy to find such a low cost of living with all the opportunities attached, on the east coast! Still, we are water people and miss the ocean, as well as our NC children and grandchildren.

Be careful about being rich in lodgings and poor in life style opportunities due to fixed income and growing expenses. At this point, our scales are tilting in favor of poorer living environment (but still low maintenance!) and greater freedom in lifestyle (boating, swimming, traveling, volunteering, hobby socializing). It's always a tradeoff, especially in the east!

Old 07-16-2015, 04:11 PM

4 posts, read 8,421 times
Default 'sinking Southport'

Quote:
Originally Posted by summergal15 View Post
...You also mention Southport as not as much of a hurricane risk, but I've read in postings that the land in Southport is 'sinking' (a different term was used), so is that a concern? Thanks.
From what I have read, the area of concern is NW of Southport, near Boiling Water. There are some nice new homes going up there, at reasonable prices. However, there are sinkholes in that area. They've had to drain the lake twice to plug some sinkholes beneath it. The ground below is porous limestone. I am not sure where all the sinkholes are located, or if Southport shares that problem. I do know that you can see a map of Florida, and the entire western part of the state is totally undermined by sinkholes due to porous limestone rock.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:51 PM

4 posts, read 8,256 times
Default sunset ridge-ocean isle beach nc

We just moved here from NJ and are having a house built at Sunset Ridge in Ocean Isle Beach (near Sunset Beach)..we have researched it for 8 yrs and are very happy here...it appears everyone is from NJ or NY..we love it!

Old 09-16-2015, 05:43 PM

605 posts, read 1,258,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggazcamper View Post
From what I have read, the area of concern is NW of Southport, near Boiling Water. There are some nice new homes going up there, at reasonable prices. However, there are sinkholes in that area. They've had to drain the lake twice to plug some sinkholes beneath it. The ground below is porous limestone. I am not sure where all the sinkholes are located, or if Southport shares that problem. I do know that you can see a map of Florida, and the entire western part of the state is totally undermined by sinkholes due to porous limestone rock.
Do you possibly mean "Boiling Springs Lakes" in Boliva???

Old 09-16-2015, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
Do you possibly mean "Boiling Springs Lakes" in Boliva???
Boiling Spring Lakes isn't in Bolivia, its an independent town about 10 miles northwest of Southport.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:55 AM

605 posts, read 1,258,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Boiling Spring Lakes isn't in Bolivia, its an independent town about 10 miles northwest of Southport.
oh, okay - when you look up homes for sale in Boliva, NC in realtor.com you see boiling springs lakes.....

Old 09-17-2015, 10:06 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,536,082 times
Stop in Manteo. It is just across the bridge from the Outer Banks and 40 years back in time.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Stop in Manteo. It is just across the bridge from the Outer Banks and 40 years back in time.
On May 7th the OP wrote: "Hi, my fiancé and I are planning a 5-day road trip to coastal NC this June...".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina