Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 06:04 PM

65 posts, read 83,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschmand66 View Post
We drove through Boiling Spring Lakes when we were there in March...however, not sure what part we drove through. I don't think we even saw a store. I have found several homes in our price range that could work for us there. I'm thinking with the lakes, the parks and all, there must be teens around there for sure. Plus the homes I have been looking at online have at least a 1/2 acre of land with them. Guess this will be one of our stops.
I know someone who lives in BSL and she describes it as being like a really big neighborhood. Like a giant development. That is why you saw basically all houses and not much else. They do have a ton of parks and lakes. I have been following their Parks and Rec on FB and it looks like they do a lot of stuff for the kids. My friend said she has never seen anything like BSL (moved there from TN) and that its a place you either love or hate. She says she loves being out and about in Wilmington for the day and driving back home to BSL where it is nice and quiet.

I am intrigued to say the least, can't wait to check it out for myself. I think I would love the peace and quiet, but hate not being able to run to the store for a last minute grocery item that I need to make dinner, or medicine in the middle of the night from a 24/7 pharmacy, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 08:24 PM

53 posts, read 90,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SittinInATree View Post
I know someone who lives in BSL and she describes it as being like a really big neighborhood. Like a giant development. That is why you saw basically all houses and not much else. They do have a ton of parks and lakes. I have been following their Parks and Rec on FB and it looks like they do a lot of stuff for the kids. My friend said she has never seen anything like BSL (moved there from TN) and that its a place you either love or hate. She says she loves being out and about in Wilmington for the day and driving back home to BSL where it is nice and quiet.

I am intrigued to say the least, can't wait to check it out for myself. I think I would love the peace and quiet, but hate not being able to run to the store for a last minute grocery item that I need to make dinner, or medicine in the middle of the night from a 24/7 pharmacy, etc.
Well, it sounds nice. Since I am still in Maine, we have grocery stores, but they close by 9. We do have one 24 hour small convenience store with gasoline, but I rarely need to go there. As for pharmacies here, we have a couple, but they close by 8pm and on the weekends they close at 4pm (I guess they figure no one gets sick on the weekends, lol). But for the bigger stores and malls, most any shopping or decent restaurants, we travel almost an hour away. As for the nice quaint shops, it's more like 2 hours away, at least. So BSL, doesn't sound too bad to me.

Old 06-27-2015, 04:45 PM

65 posts, read 83,894 times
I live in Dover, DE and we have a whole bunch of 24 hour grocery stores and drug stores. We have rarely used them, though. I did send my husband to the drug store at 3am a couple times for medicine though! We live 2 minutes from a grocery store so that is nice if I need a last minute ingredient to get dinner started but I'm mostly just being spoiled. I would much rather live somewhere that is quieter!

Old 11-05-2015, 02:00 PM

35 posts, read 72,499 times
Default Mosquitoes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
You had some good information provided on this thread:

Boiling Spring Lakes is very quiet, safe and almost exclusively residential.
Is there an issue with mosquitoes in Boiling Spring Lakes? I'm asking for two reasons:

1. All those lakes and ponds look like they could be major breeding grounds.

2. At one point, we lived in Smithville Woods, which backs up to some swampy lowlands. Sometimes the mosquitoes were so bad, you couldn't walk out to the mailbox without being eaten alive. (I loved it there, though, despite the mosquitoes!)

Old 02-20-2018, 08:28 PM

414 posts, read 1,259,189 times
Oh I didn’t think about the mosquitoes and other water-breeding bugs. Can anyone in BSL comment on that?

Old 02-21-2018, 04:34 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,416,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina chick View Post
Oh I didn’t think about the mosquitoes and other water-breeding bugs. Can anyone in BSL comment on that?
I'm not aware of any active posters on here who live in BSL. I live in Southport, a few miles away, and we have mosquitoes. Safe to assume BSL does as well.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:36 AM

605 posts, read 1,264,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I'm not aware of any active posters on here who live in BSL. I live in Southport, a few miles away, and we have mosquitoes. Safe to assume BSL does as well.
You will be living in "Low Country" - mosquitos, copperhead snakes and alligators are quite common....Welcome to the South!

Old 03-14-2018, 09:38 AM

53 posts, read 90,022 times
Update: We ended up moving to the Aberdeen area in October of 2015. My husband had no problem finding work. But it just wasn't for us. I think if we had chosen the coast or the western area we would have been more comfortable. We have since moved back home to Maine (June 2017). it's nice to be back home, near family. And my husband picked right back up with work. And I sell more of my art here than I did in NC. Hoping one day to be able to travel to NC for winters. Just a matter of saving throughout the summer!

Old 03-14-2018, 12:32 PM

4,267 posts, read 11,448,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschmand66 View Post
Update: We ended up moving to the Aberdeen area in October of 2015. My husband had no problem finding work. But it just wasn't for us. I think if we had chosen the coast or the western area we would have been more comfortable. We have since moved back home to Maine (June 2017). it's nice to be back home, near family. And my husband picked right back up with work. And I sell more of my art here than I did in NC. Hoping one day to be able to travel to NC for winters. Just a matter of saving throughout the summer!
Sorry that area did not work out for you but I completely understand why. I'm also from New England. We moved to the Raleigh area 10 years ago and while we really enjoy living here, we miss the beach! We recently bought a home in Southport and love it. Will be moving down full time in the fall. It reminds us of small coastal towns in MA without the 12-24" of snow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina