Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 07:57 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,646,683 times

Advertisements

Good morning.

We are heading a bit further south next week for our camping vacation. We are planning on leaving upstate NY in the fall of 2016 as empty nesters-in our early 50's. My family are all native to NC/VA and my folks have passed so it's natural I want to move closer since I have no one now here in NYS.

I am a school bus dispatcher/driver trainer. I'd like to stay in that capacity if possible. What school districts are in the area to look into? I am also thinking of going for my Class A CDL to train tractor trailer drivers to broaden my resume.

Hubby was a ready mix concrete dispatcher for 21 years. He was let go from the place he'd been for the last 4 years as a transfill tech working with liquid oxygen for a durable medical goods company. This area right now is pathetic in terms of work. Retail and fast food is what is running this areas as it's become a bedroom community to NYC. IBM pulled up stakes here in 1991 and it's never recovered in terms of decent paying jobs.

We are considering a HOA-but too many horror stories about them make us wary. Looking for a 2000 sq ft 3 bedroom, 2 bath home that's one story. Not sure about what areas to target to be away from the main areas as we prefer a simple outdoorsy life. Hubby hunts and fishes so that's a big part of his hobbies.

So fire away with information. Give me some ideas so when we are down in MB, we can head that way to start looking around before we make a leap. We aren't going until we have jobs lined up that's for sure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 08:54 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,073,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
What school districts are in the area to look into?.....
We are considering a HOA-but too many horror stories about them make us wary. Looking for a 2000 sq ft 3 bedroom, 2 bath home that's one story. Not sure about what areas to target to be away from the main areas as we prefer a simple outdoorsy life. Hubby hunts and fishes so that's a big part of his hobbies.
If you want to avoid HOA's then you will be looking at older houses. There will be numerous older brick ranches in the 1700-1800 SF range. 2000 SF is harder to find with only one story, but here's one example: http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...42-55049?row=1

You can check the Ogden and Kings Grant areas of Wilmington, Hampstead, Rocky Point, Burgaw. Further out, Maple Hill, Kenansville, Beulahville, Richlands, etc.

The Hampstead and Ogden areas have better schools. I can't guarantee you will be able to find jobs, but you might check with the Onslow County Schools for job fairs. Pender County, Duplin County and New Hanover County are other nearby school districts.

Brunswick County is also experiencing a lot of growth. There may be jobs in concrete dispatching, but no guarantees.

Last edited by goldenage1; 07-19-2015 at 10:01 AM..

Old 07-20-2015, 06:43 AM

353 posts, read 605,172 times
Wilmington wouldn't be right for you, but maybe Brunswick County area.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarLatGo View Post
Wilmington wouldn't be right for you, but maybe Brunswick County area.
Agreed that they probably prefer more "country" areas. However, it also seems these folks are putting the cart before the horse.

I think they should be scoping out jobs first rather than finding an area they want to live in. For example, there were "concrete sales" jobs in Winston-Salem and Durham that the husband might qualify for.

Last edited by goldenage1; 07-20-2015 at 08:29 AM..

Old 07-20-2015, 08:05 AM

353 posts, read 605,172 times
I'm thinking more in terms of jobs available. Wrt their current area, OP stated "Retail and fast food is what is running this areas.... That statement pretty much describes the Wilmington job market.

I don't know about bus driver dispatcher jobs, but I know school bus driving jobs are part-time, around minimum wage-ish in these parts. Add to that the statewide funding cuts for schools, I don't believe there would be much hope for her. The CDL idea might be a good one, though.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarLatGo View Post
I don't know about bus driver dispatcher jobs, but I know school bus driving jobs are part-time, around minimum wage-ish in these parts. Add to that the statewide funding cuts for schools, I don't believe there would be much hope for her. The CDL idea might be a good one, though.
Yeah, I have never seen a bus driver *dispatcher* job in Onslow County. But there is a lot of turn-over in school jobs because of the transient military spouses leaving.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:47 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,646,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Agreed that they probably prefer more "country" areas. However, it also seems these folks are putting the cart before the horse.

I think they should be scoping out jobs first rather than finding an area they want to live in. For example, there were "concrete sales" jobs in Winston-Salem and Durham that the husband might qualify for.
Ok, if you'd really read my post-not what someone else said, you'd have noticed I put down FALL of 2016. That's at least 14 months or more from now. So I am not putting the cart before the horse as you say. In my post I said we wouldn't move until we had jobs-that's the first priority. Don't confuse me with others who know nothing and jump right in and hate it. We've been vacationing south of there for almost 20 years-but that's different than living some where.

I want to see what the area has to offer. Jobs, housing, etc. Will it even meet what we are looking for. My family has been in NC for centuries. One of mine was a member from the Lost Colony. So with that being said, I know all about Winston-Salem, Boone, High Point, Eden(Leaksville), Greensboro, and a host of others I've been coming to all my life to see my family.

The hubby has a background in dispatching-that he can do with anything that does needs a dispatcher, not just concrete. He has a military background in warehousing and parts. He could do that too. He's got HVAC certifications also which he could use in a pinch, but he's not interested in that area these days, leave that to the younger guys.

I am a full time school bus dispatcher, that means I dispatch vehicles and drivers to make the most effective use of manpower and equipment.Assist in emergencies, coordinating and dispatching when regular scheduled bus operations are interrupted.Receive telephone calls from District personnel or public concerning all phases of work .Monitor radio while buses are on the road.Process trip requests sent to transportation department.Keep records of trips completed for accounting purposes.Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.Develop data and prepare reports as required.
Respond to requests for information from students, district personnel, community residents, public officials, media and others by:referencing district policy, explaining transportation policies and guidelines,and transferring undefined policy matters to District administrative personnel.

Does that give you a better picture? I also have a degree in hospitality and tourism management, but I prefer to play with school buses.

Old 07-20-2015, 04:31 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,388,130 times
Quote:
Good morning.

We are heading a bit further south next week for our camping vacation. We are planning on leaving upstate NY in the fall of 2016 as empty nesters-in our early 50's. My family are all native to NC/VA and my folks have passed so it's natural I want to move closer since I have no one now here in NYS.

I am a school bus dispatcher/driver trainer. I'd like to stay in that capacity if possible. What school districts are in the area to look into? I am also thinking of going for my Class A CDL to train tractor trailer drivers to broaden my resume.

Hubby was a ready mix concrete dispatcher for 21 years. He was let go from the place he'd been for the last 4 years as a transfill tech working with liquid oxygen for a durable medical goods company. This area right now is pathetic in terms of work. Retail and fast food is what is running this areas as it's become a bedroom community to NYC. IBM pulled up stakes here in 1991 and it's never recovered in terms of decent paying jobs.

So fire away with information. Give me some ideas so when we are down in MB, we can head that way to start looking around before we make a leap. We aren't going until we have jobs lined up that's for sure!
Every county (pretty much) is now a consolidated school system. Pick out the area your interested in and Google that county school district, then look on their websites for job openings. Around Wilmington, look at Brunswick and Pender Counties.

Old 07-20-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Ok, if you'd really read my post-not what someone else said, you'd have noticed I put down FALL of 2016. That's at least 14 months or more from now. So I am not putting the cart before the horse as you say......
Does that give you a better picture? I also have a degree in hospitality and tourism management, but I prefer to play with school buses.
Have a nice vacation.

If you both find jobs in the area, I believe you will enjoy living about 20-30 miles outside the city of Wilmington.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:01 AM

3,087 posts, read 4,866,370 times
Check to see if Titan will ever build that cement plant in Castle Hayne. If they do (its in litigation to my understanding) there's your cement job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina