Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 08:57 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Unless I’m looking at it wrong, I can’t see much traffic willing to use a new tolled bridge when there are other existing free crossings available.
Yeah, the idea of a toll is nonsensical.

I think replacing the CF Memorial Bridge is a far higher priority than a new, southern bridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 09:08 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Yeah, the idea of a toll is nonsensical.

I think replacing the CF Memorial Bridge is a far higher priority than a new, southern bridge.
I agree. Traffic could be detoured to the Isabel bridge while the CFMB is being replaced. Sure, it would be jammed with traffic, but it’s an alternative. Traffic coming from the west side of the river could also use I-140 to cross the river and use either NC-133 or I-40 to get to Wilmington and vice-versa.

Toll issue aside, if the new crossing is ever built, I think it would be ideal for it to be an extension of I-140 and have it connect to Shipyard Blvd or at least as close to it as feasibly possible. That should help keep truck traffic coming to and from the port off of city streets.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:51 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/...s.aspx?r=14899

Quote:
WILMINGTON – Drivers on the G.V. Barbee Bridge/N.C. 133 that spans the Intracoastal Waterway north of Oak Island likely will encounter intermittent lane closures starting Monday, March 5.

The closures are needed to allow N.C. Department of Transportation crews to safely do maintenance work on the concrete bridge girders.

The closures will be in place between 9 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, until March 22. Transportation officials urge motorists to drive carefully through the work zone.

For real-time travel information, visit DriveNC.gov or follow NCDOT on Twitter.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:47 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Unless I’m looking at it wrong, I can’t see much traffic willing to use a new tolled bridge when there are other existing free crossings available.
The bridge will be tolled...it was one of the original 5 toll projects back about 10 years ago. That is how it will be fast tracked, now that I-140 is complete. The local contingent may want to suspend tolls during the replacement of the CF, but thats not going to happen...because the payments are due. As for other toll projects, part of I-540 in Raleigh is complete, the Monroe bypass is under construction, the Currituck bridge is about to start I believe. I would expect the Skyway bridge to be started after the Currituck bridge and next section of I-540 (from Holly Springs to I-40) in Raleigh is complete...so maybe 2025. CF Memorial can last another 10 years.

In terms of traffic, this will be a direct route to Southern New Hanover County from the West. Anyone leaving town south of Shipyard will just jump on the new bridge instead of wasting gas going downtown to cross. It will take you to Myrtle Beach and Charlotte and other points west quickly and easily. It will have A LOT of traffic, especially in 10 years when RiverLights is built out, Carolina Beach Rd is re-developed and Carolina Beach is even more of a destination point.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
In terms of traffic, this will be a direct route to Southern New Hanover County from the West. Anyone leaving town south of Shipyard will just jump on the new bridge instead of wasting gas going downtown to cross. It will take you to Myrtle Beach and Charlotte and other points west quickly and easily. It will have A LOT of traffic, especially in 10 years when RiverLights is built out, Carolina Beach Rd is re-developed and Carolina Beach is even more of a destination point.
Its 2.5 miles from the intersection of Shipyard and CB Road to the CF Memorial Bridge. At 30 mpg and today's gas prices, that 19 cents. I'm pretty sure the toll will be be well in excess of that amount, so I suspect most people will choose to avoid the toll.

There is no construction date set for the Mid-Currituck Bridge and the last phase of the 540 isn't due to be awarded until 2027. A completion date of 2028 for the new bridge over the Cape Fear? I'll believe it when it happens.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:30 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
Just returned from New Bern to Oak Island round trip.

What’s up with the construction on US 17? Looks dead. Only a few parked pieces of equipment, no fresh looking dirt, lots of construction areas, but nothing looked remotely active. It seemed like someone had called off the dogs.

In related news, I-140 is schweet!!! It’s funny after years if not decades of construction, at the merge and then bridges just south of the battleship, the work gets done, then, we never use it again!

Old 03-05-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Its 2.5 miles from the intersection of Shipyard and CB Road to the CF Memorial Bridge. At 30 mpg and today's gas prices, that 19 cents. I'm pretty sure the toll will be be well in excess of that amount, so I suspect most people will choose to avoid the toll.

There is no construction date set for the Mid-Currituck Bridge and the last phase of the 540 isn't due to be awarded until 2027. A completion date of 2028 for the new bridge over the Cape Fear? I'll believe it when it happens.
Well, there are multiple lights and traffic is heavy getting to the CF bridge around 3rd St. Right now it can take 30 minutes at times just to get on the bridge. Has been like that for awhile. So much traffic they are fast tracking (so 7 years or so) the widening of Front St, but the on ramp will still be only one lane. In 10 years will definitely waste more money trying to get to the CF bridge, then just paying a few bucks. As well using the CF bridge will get you into more lights in Leland, whereas using the new bridge will be Interstate quality.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Well, there are multiple lights and traffic is heavy getting to the CF bridge around 3rd St. Right now it can take 30 minutes at times just to get on the bridge. Has been like that for awhile. So much traffic they are fast tracking (so 7 years or so) the widening of Front St, but the on ramp will still be only one lane. In 10 years will definitely waste more money trying to get to the CF bridge, then just paying a few bucks. As well using the CF bridge will get you into more lights in Leland, whereas using the new bridge will be Interstate quality.
Thats due to the recently completed work on Third Street that had the road closed for months. It would be pretty extraordinary to take 30 minutes at any time other than rush hour, and even then it rarely takes anywhere near that amount of time.

If one is on Hwy. 74/76, there are no lights in Leland.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Thats due to the recently completed work on Third Street that had the road closed for months. It would be pretty extraordinary to take 30 minutes at any time other than rush hour, and even then it rarely takes anywhere near that amount of time.

If one is on Hwy. 74/76, there are no lights in Leland.
Highway 17 has multiple lights in Leland. The intersection of I-140 where the new bride will lead to will be south of Leland and function as a bypass from Wilmington of Leland.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Highway 17 has multiple lights in Leland. The intersection of I-140 where the new bride will lead to will be south of Leland and function as a bypass from Wilmington of Leland.
Yeah 3 lights or pay a big toll. I think I know which choice will be made. Plus there are more lights further south on 17.

I don't believe there is, or will be much traffic going between MB and southern Wilmington anyway. Most people will be trying to get to Charlotte, the Triad, and possibly the Triangle, thus making CF Memorial a better option to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina