Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 12:19 AM

9 posts, read 11,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Best advice is to get a land line in your house. I have Verizon and we get no reception indoors. We have to go outside to make and receive calls. Big issue in Ocean Ridge Plantation..
I completely agree with this! It is becoming a HUGE issue for Emergency Services to find locations because of both increased cell phone use and the number of people electing to not have a landline home phone. Not only that, but people need to have at least one dedicated (non-cordless) phone in their home. Cell towers can fail and hurricanes can cause many difficulties. Cell phones are wonderful but should not be your only means of communication.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 04:57 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,378,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xgirl1020 View Post
I completely agree with this! It is becoming a HUGE issue for Emergency Services to find locations because of both increased cell phone use and the number of people electing to not have a landline home phone. Not only that, but people need to have at least one dedicated (non-cordless) phone in their home. Cell towers can fail and hurricanes can cause many difficulties. Cell phones are wonderful but should not be your only means of communication.
Except that a hurricane is likely to bring down the wires that transmit landline calls too.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:16 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,596,928 times
It's to the point that if a cell network fails you can bet the landlines have failed too. Verizon is mostly fiber (the same fiber that connects landline terminals) and has generators at almost every site.

With the state of landlines now, I honestly trust a cell phone more.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:26 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,378,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
It's to the point that if a cell network fails you can bet the landlines have failed too. Verizon is mostly fiber (the same fiber that connects landline terminals) and has generators at almost every site.

With the state of landlines now, I honestly trust a cell phone more.
This.

And this:

"Telecom giants AT&T and Verizon Communications are lobbying states, one by one, to hang up the plain, old telephone system, what the industry now calls POTS--the copper-wired landline phone system whose reliability and reach made the U.S. a communications powerhouse for more than 100 years.

The two providers want to lay the crumbling POTS to rest and replace it with Internet Protocol-based systems that use the same wired and wireless broadband networks that bring Web access, cable programming and, yes, even your telephone service, into your homes. You may think you have a traditional landline because your home phone plugs into a jack, but if you have bundled your phone with Internet and cable services, you're making calls over an IP network, not twisted copper wires.

California, Florida, Texas, Georgia, North Carolina, Wisconsin and Ohio are among states that agree telecom resources would be better redirected into modern telephone technologies and innovations, and will kill copper-based technologies in the next three years or so."

Prepare to Hang Up the Phone, Forever - WSJ

Old 01-06-2016, 07:37 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,238,823 times
I live in New Bern and have never had issues with Verizon Wireless. Sprint coverage at my house is very poor--I would NOT recommend them to anyone.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:45 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,817,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
I live in New Bern and have never had issues with Verizon Wireless. Sprint coverage at my house is very poor--I would NOT recommend them to anyone.
This. Sprint (and their BoostMobile crap) sucks.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:44 PM

277 posts, read 436,108 times
US cellular and then Verizon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina