Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 06:37 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times

Advertisements

Gov. Pat McCrory no longer supports the Johnston County site for the hub.

Gov. Office: Johnston site not viable - WilsonTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 02:26 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Here is the place causing all of the issues with this...

About The Farm | Selma NC & Smithfield NC | Event Venue

Apparently, they host fairly large concerts like Scotty McCreery...and its located between the CSX rail line and I-95 with an exit on I-95 right there.

My opinion is that this guy wasn't going to sell at any point, and is using the eminent domain issue as his excuse for not wanting to sell.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Apparently, they host fairly large concerts like Scotty McCreery...and its located between the CSX rail line and I-95 with an exit on I-95 right there.

My opinion is that this guy wasn't going to sell at any point, and is using the eminent domain issue as his excuse for not wanting to sell.
I agree. That was my first thought when I first read about this mess. Funny you should mention Scotty McCreery since Trent Lassiter happens to be dating his sister.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:28 AM

Wayne County officials have already contacted CSX and expects CSX to pay them a visit soon. Johnston County says they still want the hub, but not at the proposed site. Personally, I think Wayne stands a better chance of landing the hub. I think the recent fiasco in Johnston might have left a bad taste in the mouth of whoever is in charge of CSX. Just my opinion, FWIW.

Wayne chasing CSX terminal after Johnston site rejected :: WRAL.com

Old 01-28-2016, 12:08 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,694 times
Quote:
You have to wonder where the State Department of Commerce is with this...

You have a major employer in CSX with a regional project that can have a positive effect on an area that really needs a shot in the arm (the I-95) corridor and ENC. The State should be doing the due diligence to locate potential sites for CSX and contacting the LANDOWNERS to see what is viable. Instead it appears they contacted the County. Everyone looks pretty stupid for not having do the due diligence.

Now you have multiple counties going public in support of the project, not even knowing if they have viable sites. What in the world is the Dept of Commerce doing?
This project isn't under the purview of the Dept of Commerce issue, NCDOT is handling it.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
This project isn't under the purview of the Dept of Commerce issue, NCDOT is handling it.
Why wouldn't the Dept of Commerce be working on such an important economic project?

And don't get me started on the lack on inter govt agency working relationships.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:00 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
Quote:
Why wouldn't the Dept of Commerce be working on such an important economic project?
Because, although the project has long term economic benefits, its a transportation project. Interstate highways have economic benefits too, but the Dept. of Commerce isn't in charge of developing them. And DOT frequently collaborates with the railroads, so its a natural fit.

Plus, Commerce isn't directly involved with industrial recruitment anymore. Its now handled by the NC ED Partnership, a public/private entity. As such, they are able to stay out of the public spotlight, so they very well may be working on the project "behind the scenes".

Old 01-29-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Because, although the project has long term economic benefits, its a transportation project. Interstate highways have economic benefits too, but the Dept. of Commerce isn't in charge of developing them. And DOT frequently collaborates with the railroads, so its a natural fit.

Plus, Commerce isn't directly involved with industrial recruitment anymore. Its now handled by the NC ED Partnership, a public/private entity. As such, they are able to stay out of the public spotlight, so they very well may be working on the project "behind the scenes".
Well, let me put it this way, the DOT deals with eminent domain. Maybe the DOT either needs to get up to speed with the sensitive nature of projects like this and learn to talk to landowners/stakeholders OR they should work with other govt agencies on projects like this that do understand what due diligence means.

Either way, it looks to the general public like North Carolina has no idea what it is doing. Because, apparently, they don't.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:50 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
Quote:
Well, let me put it this way, the DOT deals with eminent domain. Maybe the DOT either needs to get up to speed with the sensitive nature of projects like this and learn to talk to landowners/stakeholders OR they should work with other govt agencies on projects like this that do understand what due diligence means.
Ok, thats a big shift in gears there.

Yes, the NCDOT "deals with" eminent domain. However, it is no longer legal to use eminent domain to acquire property for a private use.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Ok, thats a big shift in gears there.

Yes, the NCDOT "deals with" eminent domain. However, it is no longer legal to use eminent domain to acquire property for a private use.
Pretty sure the railroad is just like a road when it comes to eminent domain.

And my point is that the DOT doesn't have to be sensitive to neighbors wishes...they just take and pay. CSX thinks the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina