Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 12:06 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,383,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Pretty sure the railroad is just like a road when it comes to eminent domain.

And my point is that the DOT doesn't have to be sensitive to neighbors wishes...they just take and pay. CSX thinks the same way.
You'r forgetting that the NCDOT is a VERY political animal. I can assure you the current NC General Assembly is not going to allow them to use eminent domain in a situation like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 12:13 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,859,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
You'r forgetting that the NCDOT is a VERY political animal. I can assure you the current NC General Assembly is not going to allow them to use eminent domain in a situation like this.
I'm not saying they should...I'm saying the agency dealing with the situation always does it that way...which, either that agency has to switch gears or you have to deal with an agency (like the DOC) that does due diligence when considering economic projects.

Who is actually in charge when the Governor of NC says he does not support a project that is partly funded by the State of NC?

Everyone wants to blame CSX. Its not their fault the State of NC (and Johnston County for that matter) is so incompetent that they couldn't figure this out. I have said it on this forum before....the folks in economic development at the State level are DINOSAURS in their thinking (with their UNC degrees in hand), they have no idea how to compete with other states for projects.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:19 PM

Actually, railroads have the power of eminent domain themselves, so NCDOT has no role in it. If CSX wants to take it, they can. But there's no way the state will put money in it if CSX goes that route.

I think the blame lies more with the general assembly, as opposed to the Dept. of Commerce/NC ED Partnership.

Old 01-29-2016, 01:13 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,859,830 times
Quote:
Actually, railroads have the power of eminent domain themselves, so NCDOT has no role in it. If CSX wants to take it, they can. But there's no way the state will put money in it if CSX goes that route.

I think the blame lies more with the general assembly, as opposed to the Dept. of Commerce/NC ED Partnership.
I don't agree. Politicians don't know about every project out there being proposed. The NC DOT obviously did. And politicians don't deal with the details...that's what we pay our state employees that work at these agencies for.

The problem is typically the leadership running these agencies, which are appointed. THEY USUALLY HAVE NO CLUE WHAT IS ACTUALLY GOING ON WITHIN THE AGENCY. And neither do the politicians.

Apparently no one thought about contacting the landowners until after everything was approved. No one did due diligence. That is the agency's responsibility, not the legislator.

Check out this graph...and follow the blue line from the governor...

http://infohouse.p2ric.org/ref/12/11014.pdf

The lack of inter department communication falls directly on the governor of NC. And he just said he did not support what the NC DOT had been working on after it was taken to the local level in Johnston Co. Something that had the Ports backing, DOT backing, etc...

Old 01-29-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
I don't agree. Politicians don't know about every project out there being proposed. The NC DOT obviously did. And politicians don't deal with the details...that's what we pay our state employees that work at these agencies for.

The problem is typically the leadership running these agencies, which are appointed. THEY USUALLY HAVE NO CLUE WHAT IS ACTUALLY GOING ON WITHIN THE AGENCY. And neither do the politicians.

Apparently no one thought about contacting the landowners until after everything was approved. No one did due diligence. That is the agency's responsibility, not the legislator.

Check out this graph...and follow the blue line from the governor...

http://infohouse.p2ric.org/ref/12/11014.pdf

The lack of inter department communication falls directly on the governor of NC. And he just said he did not support what the NC DOT had been working on after it was taken to the local level in Johnston Co. Something that had the Ports backing, DOT backing, etc...
The problem is twofold. First, the general assembly has refused to provide the tools needed to compete in economic development. We basically had no incentive policy for almost a year, and were essentially out of business. The general assembly has a HUGE influence on economic development.

Secondly, the general assembly does in fact involve itself in the details. When continental tire was looking at a site in Brunswick County, economic developers were required to go to the general assembly and have them pass a specific incentive bill, just for that one plant. Which the general assembly the declined to do, and the plant went to south carolina.

We are getting the government we voted for. On all levels. And it starts with the general assembly.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:55 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,827,146 times
State rep. Leo Daughtry supports the Johnston County site for the CSX hub.

Daughtry backs CSX container hub | News & Observer

Old 01-30-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
State rep. Leo Daughtry supports the Johnston County site for the CSX hub.

Daughtry backs CSX container hub | News & Observer
Key sentence in that article: "Daughtry is not running for re-election".

Old 01-30-2016, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Key sentence in that article: "Daughtry is not running for re-election".
Yep. He gets to claim that he's pro-business without worrying about the major backlash from the voters in his district that made it well known that they do not want the hub. He knew he would've been out of a job if he publicly supported the hub and was running for re-election.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:46 PM

All of the counties along the I-95 corridor are now wanting the CSX hub. If I'm reading between the lines right, CSX's attitude seems to be either they build the hub at the original site in Johnston County or they won't build a hub at all. I hope that isn't the case. Eastern NC needs those jobs desperately.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/...-counties.html

Old 02-20-2016, 11:59 AM

Looks like CSX might be giving up on their plan to build the hub in Johnston County. If true, I hope they choose somewhere else in eastern NC. Wilson or Goldsboro would be the best spots, IMO. CSX still hasn't mentioned anything about building the hub anywhere else.

'NULL AND VOID' - WilsonTimes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina