U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 03:04 PM

4 posts, read 10,510 times

Advertisements

My husband and I recently retired and are relocating to the Calabash area. We are interested in any information about Brunswick Plantation and Brick Landing. Are the communities well maintained? Are the residents friendly? How are the golf courses? Any info would really be appreciated. Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 10:19 AM

6,148 posts, read 2,725,350 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQSnnsXjzFo

This past October Brunswick Plantation suffered severe flooding. Granted, its not a normal occurrence but I would at least take it into consideration if you buy/build there.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:28 AM

Thank you for responding.We know about the storm and the flooding. We're from NE and storms don't really worry us. We are really trying to zero in on a community to live in and Brunswick Plantation and Brick Landing are 2 of the areas that caught our interest. Does anyone live in those communities that can comment on them?

Old 04-03-2016, 02:46 PM

7,118 posts, read 7,793,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQSnnsXjzFo

This past October Brunswick Plantation suffered severe flooding. Granted, its not a normal occurrence but I would at least take it into consideration if you buy/build there.

BP must be in a flood zone - resales are going to be tough.

Old 04-03-2016, 04:15 PM

56 posts, read 140,075 times
Brunswick Plantation is a very nice community. Yes they had the severe flooding but my understanding is that there was very little damage to any of the homes since they are built up a few feet.
The community is always well maintained and the people always seem to be friendly.
Good luck with your search.

Old 04-04-2016, 05:23 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,698,299 times
From a golf course standpoint hands down Brunswick is the better track and has 27 holes. Played the "Brick" in January and it was in a world of hurt.

Sea Trail deserves a look as they have 3 courses and closer to the beach and retail. Good Luck.

Old 04-25-2016, 05:51 AM

Thank you

Old 04-26-2016, 06:34 AM

844 posts, read 2,770,227 times
Questions I have pertaining to the flooding in Brunswick Plantation are:

1. Is BP in a Flood Zone?
2. What is the average elevation of homes?
3. Did any of the surrounding areas also have severe flooding?
4. How much rain did the area receive during the flooding event? Concern would be heavy/prolonged rain from a hurricane like Floyd.

Thank you
m

Old 04-26-2016, 07:20 AM

11,817 posts, read 21,442,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
Questions I have pertaining to the flooding in Brunswick Plantation are:

1. Is BP in a Flood Zone?
I think you have to address individual homes rather than the whole of BP. Obviously, some homes are in flood zones. You can consult the Brunswick Count GIS with a specific address, and turn on the Flood Zone Layer on the left. It should show a detailed plot of the home. Brunswick County GIS

You can also use the quicky version from the Federal Flood insurance program at : https://www.floodsmart.gov/floodsmart/

For example, I found one listing at the Carolina Plantations site, a random example at 8770 Nottoway NW, and ran it through the Floodsmart program. The result was "moderate to low risk", with a flood insurance premium of $420.

However, a golf-course front home on Rutledge Court NW near ponds, got a "high risk" rating with a premium of about $800/year. You might be able to find listings in the higher parts of BP which do not require flood insurance. A Realtor can help.

Last edited by goldenage1; 04-26-2016 at 07:34 AM..

Old 04-26-2016, 08:24 AM

56 posts, read 140,075 times
How does the insurance website work? I looked up two address one I know is not in the flood zone and it came up as low risk. The other is listed as AE flood zone according to the county GIS which is a moderate risk but the insurance site list the property as high risk. Interesting how there is such a difference between the county and insurance site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina