Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 10:09 AM

23 posts, read 325,044 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me your thoughtsn or information on St James planataion. We went to a southern living show and spoke to their rep. It sure sounded good but looking at their web site I get the impression it might be a little pricey and "uppity". Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 10:37 AM

26 posts, read 227,730 times
Default St James

St James is nice, if you like golf. It is about 90% New Jersey/Connecticut transplants. Mostly retired. There is always some sort of "drama" going on behind the gates. Check out the local paper, stateportpilot.com for more information on the latest drama concerning the mayor of St James and a new proposed community center. I think you can get a much nicer home for the money elsewhere in the Southport/Oak Island area.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:03 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,049,310 times
We have friends whose parents retired to St James at least 10 years ago (when prices were much lower), they love it there.
We took "the tour" about 5 years ago and it looked like a well thought out development. It has 4 golf courses, a marina (slips then were selling for 125K) and the usual tennis and pool facilities.
It is close to the lovely town of Southport.
That being said, there are lots of new developments being built in the area, each with its' own "theme" golf, boating, nature trails etc.

If you are looking in that area, I think St. James would be a good comparision point for other developments that you look at.
Oh and the people we met there could not have been more friendly!
Good luck with your search!

Old 02-13-2008, 06:07 PM

Thank you guys. I appreciate the information.I guess I should check out the other places in the area also.

Any suggestions?

Old 02-13-2008, 07:16 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,049,310 times
My humble suggestion is to think about what you wish to do in your new neighbourhood. The HOA fees will vary greatly depending on what the community is supporting. For example, if they are keeping 4 golf courses in good shape and you are not golfers, then a good part of your fees will be wasted for you. Same for marinas, nature trails etc.

Do you want to live in a single family area? A SF/condo mixed? Larger/smaller homes? Build or buy existing? Preferences for proximity to the beach?

There are so many options that it is mind numbing. I would suggest that you set your preferences, your price range and start from there.
You might want to check out zip codes on Realtor.com and see what is available. I don't recall what St. James' zip is but one of the Brunswick Co. zip codes' is 28469.
Have fun with your search!

Old 02-14-2008, 06:40 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,846,925 times
my personal thought is that st. james is my idea of hell. so pricey, snobby people, and it's in the middle of nowhere. I guess it's ok if you like no places to shop, no places to eat, and if you like shopping at wal mart with people who live in trailers.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:30 AM

JM that's what I am lookin for! A no nonsence opinion. If not St James, then where in that area?

Old 02-14-2008, 11:06 AM

it depends on what you want deeker1. for the price of living in st. james, you can get a place in porters neck or even landfall. at least you will be near decent shops and eateries. brunswick county really is an armpit. tell me exactly what you are looking for and I can help a lot. I am not a real estate agent or anything, but I have worked in land development in this area so I know a lot of the local subdivisions. are you retiring? do you golf? what do you want to spend?

Old 02-15-2008, 03:32 PM

Thanks Jmarquise, I am looking for a retirement home, someplace where there is a sense of community where we can have some activites, including golf, to make new friends. I am starting to think that I might have to start looking south to the Myrtle Beach area. any help or suggestions you might have would be appreciated.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:22 PM

hopefully you get this. I would take a close look at magnolia greens. it is right across from downtown wilmington and reasonably priced. that area is growing up pretty good with nice shopping centers. the subdivision is a pretty good mix of types of people. some families, some retirees. very nice golf courses, and close enough to wilmington to enjoy a little culture if you feel the need. I just think that you would get bored living someplace in southern brunswick county. some nice retirement areas, but NOTHING to do besides golf. plus I think that wilmington has more to offer than myrtle beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina