Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2008, 11:59 PM

32 posts, read 163,466 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if Bermuda is a reasonable tropical vacation destination for those living in coastal NC? Are there direct flights? Is it worth visiting if you live in NC and want to get away to a tropical place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 08:16 AM

17 posts, read 80,178 times
I'm not sure why someone fron NC would want to go to Bermuda for a "tropical" vacation. Bermuda is roughly on the same latitude as southern NC, which means the temperatures are not much different. If I want to go tropical, I'm going further south. I know of one retired couple that went on a cruise to Bermuda several months ago, but other than that, it is not a sought-after destination for coastal North Carolinians. Probably for the reason stated above.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:11 PM

450 posts, read 2,320,919 times
I agree with PiraSea.

If I want tropical, I'd go South....I personally am interested in travelling to Bermuda one day, especially by way of cruise...I hope that Wilmington becomes a bigger hub for the cruise ship industry. I know people who would cruise often but don't because they don't want to have to fly to Florida or somewhere else to catch the cruise. My guess is Bermuda *could* be a bigger destination for North Carolinians if one of the cruise companies would start cruises from Wilmington to Bermuda. It's "closer to home" than travelling down to the Caribbean, but it doesn't have a tropical appeal which I guess is part of the original poster's question. I think it could be a very appealing destination for NC'ers just not a tropical appeal...if it was as simple as stepping onto a cruiseship. I'm not sure if Wilmington has direct flights to Bermuda??

Old 02-17-2008, 02:31 PM

116 posts, read 532,990 times
Back in 2005, it was announced that a new airline (Fly First Class) was coming to Wilmington and was going to have direct flights to Bermuda and then onward to London. Unfortunately, it never happened.

Airport grows worldly | StarNewsOnline.com | Star-News | Wilmington, NC

As for Bermuda, I know it it a popular destination from here via boating enthusiast. Although I'm not sure how popular it is with the flying public.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:43 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,473,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawneel View Post
Just wondering if Bermuda is a reasonable tropical vacation destination for those living in coastal NC? Are there direct flights? Is it worth visiting if you live in NC and want to get away to a tropical place?
I've been to Bermuda, and I would say that it is worth visiting even if you live in coastal NC. I'm not sure if Bermuda is tropical or subtropical, but it has a lot to offer. It arguably has better fishing than the OBX, better scuba diving than anywhere in NC, great food, pink sand beaches, and crystal clear water. It does have a tropical-looking appearance.

However, I don't think Bermuda is especially convenient from Wilmington. If I had about $50 million, I might be one of the aforementioned "boating enthusiasts" that BeachLiving mentioned, taking my yacht to Bermuda on the weekends

Old 02-18-2008, 10:30 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,245,086 times
Default Bermuda

I have been to Bermuda and it is very beautiful. However this being said, Bermuda has become very expensive. Our choice is to drive to Myrtle Beach, fly to Ft. Lauderdale and drive 3 hrs. to Key West. We are doing just that in the fall to renew our wedding vows. kelsie

Old 02-18-2008, 10:42 AM

61 posts, read 293,599 times
You mention a Bigger hub.... Are there any cruises out of Wilmington?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLily7 View Post
...I hope that Wilmington becomes a bigger hub for the cruise ship industry.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:40 PM

4 posts, read 21,992 times
I agree with the above comments about Bermuda. People come from all over the Eastern U.S. to come to our beaches. Very few of us travel TO a beach to get away. Most people from this area vacation in the mountains of NC.
If you are still intent on that theme for a vacation though, I'd recomment Daufuskie Island off Hilton Head SC. Here is the link

daufuskieislandresort.com

It is a very remote island, accessible by ferry only from Hilton Head. Their staff, and the theme of the resort, is Jamaican. We rented a beach house with a pool, and it was the most relaxing vacation we had in years. Almost without exception, we were the only ones on the beach as far either way as we could see. The house was right on the beach, with a short walk through the pine trees, to the ocean. Quite different from our beaches here in NC.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:29 PM

39 posts, read 214,560 times
Bermuda is inviting, much different atmosphere. I do not think any cruise lines come here presently. Could be wrong though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina