Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2008, 12:56 PM

2 posts, read 5,454 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move down to (Cape Carteret, Newpot, Beaufort)from CT in the coming fall if I like what I see during a trip this summer. I have a few questions for those who might know about a few topics.

First of all I'm coming down for boating, fishing and beaches. I'd like to keep my boat at a marina near the inlets. What do the rates average monthly/yearly for a 20ft boat either dry stack, lift or wet slip?

Are the public beaches easily accessed year round and free? Or is it pay to park, pay to access and tough to find parking? Are the beaches packed all summer or being that there are miles of beach is it rather open?

Professionally speaking location doesnt matter for me since I just graduated college, work at sea and can live anywhere. But my gf may come along and I'm worried she may not find the right job. With a degree in business and finance is there work to be had. Of course pay will not match but at a lower cost of living thats acceptable.

With my price range being up to $225k I would not expect to find waterfront(though I have seen a few), I also don't want a cookie cutter house in a development where i can't put my boat on the front lawn. Are those the norm down there or is likely that i could find a nice house on a secluded lot, maybe backed by the forest?

Thanks to anyone who can answer any of my questions. Any other bits of info to add good or bad are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 02:19 PM

713 posts, read 3,928,056 times
Smile Some answers on your questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by maritime07 View Post
I'm looking to move down to (Cape Carteret, Newpot, Beaufort)from CT in the coming fall if I like what I see during a trip this summer. I have a few questions for those who might know about a few topics.

First of all I'm coming down for boating, fishing and beaches. I'd like to keep my boat at a marina near the inlets. What do the rates average monthly/yearly for a 20ft boat either dry stack, lift or wet slip?

Are the public beaches easily accessed year round and free? Or is it pay to park, pay to access and tough to find parking? Are the beaches packed all summer or being that there are miles of beach is it rather open?

Professionally speaking location doesnt matter for me since I just graduated college, work at sea and can live anywhere. But my gf may come along and I'm worried she may not find the right job. With a degree in business and finance is there work to be had. Of course pay will not match but at a lower cost of living thats acceptable.

With my price range being up to $225k I would not expect to find waterfront(though I have seen a few), I also don't want a cookie cutter house in a development where i can't put my boat on the front lawn. Are those the norm down there or is likely that i could find a nice house on a secluded lot, maybe backed by the forest?

Thanks to anyone who can answer any of my questions. Any other bits of info to add good or bad are appreciated.
I called a couple of marinas local to our area Cape Carteret and got an annual fee of $1920 or $8 per foot per month for dry stacking with an additional fee if you have a T-top.

Use the zoom tools on the left of the map to have a look at the area and see one of our two local marinas. There are more in Beaufort/Morehead City area.

The two marinas that I called are near Bogue Inlet on the Intracoastal. Neither had inside space currently but expected to have some soon.

Access to the beach is free and relatively easy. There are two large areas with lots of parking in the Emerald Isle area, another one at Fort Macon and some smaller ones scattered around. You can drive on certain beaches for a few months during the winter with a permit, but very few people do it.

The beaches are not packed by any means. The low density of development here just doesn't pack the beaches except around a few condo developments. There is a four-six weeks from July 1 until mid-August when we have good crowds, but it is never what I would call crowded unless you want to eat at one of the beach restaurants at 6 pm during that period.

Most of the year the beaches are ours and most evenings after five or six pm they are very uncrowded and your only company will be a few fishermen and some late evening walkers.

Jobs are a challenge, but you just have to look and be persistent. Usually people can find something. You might look at some of the recent posts I have done which list the urls for the local papers.

Home prices have come down. The new tract kind of housing you are referring to and trying to avoid is about $199K in western Carteret county for 3 bedrooms/2 baths. Given that you can find some slightly older homes in nicer settings in the low to mid $200s.

I have seen some waterfront ones as low as $280K-$295K. A lot depends on what you want. There are some nice water access communities in the area which have homes in the mid $200Ks.

If you do a Google search on "Coastal NC Paradise" you will find lots that I have written about the area on my "Coastal NC" site.

Here is a link to a boat trip we did from the Swansboro area up to Shackleford Banks. Round trip was 67 miles, and it was a blast.

We have a skiff twenty feet long and really enjoy it. The only time I can remember the waterways being really busy is around the fourth of July and on a few weekends.

Of course you can head out in the ocean then or stay on the White Oak River like we do.

I have lots of photos and slide shows of the area at my Coastal-Mountain site.

Moderator cut: tos violation

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 02-21-2008 at 10:18 PM.. Reason: missing letter

Old 02-20-2008, 04:53 PM

116 posts, read 532,990 times
dsobotta, love those pictures. You should really consider putting together a Crystal Coast coffee table book. I bet you would do well with it.

But in the meantime, keep those pics coming

Old 02-21-2008, 02:43 PM

8 posts, read 28,227 times
area is terrible. for a slip in a not so great marina expect to pay at least 500/month. dry stack is do-able but then you're depending on the marina to pull it out/put it in, which takes dues (and you have to wait on them - if its a busy weekend be reayd to sit and do nothing while they get to everyone else ahead of you) 225, expect to stay inland in a small house or a 'cookie cutter' as you described. you will not find a 'house' on the beach for 225, if you do i dont think you'd want to live there. all of the beaches are 'open' but parking is nearly non-existant and you get to deal with all the lovely tourists that come down personally the area is horrible, i'd stay away if i was you...definitely not worth it! try topsail beach or something, theres more to do there anyway

Old 02-21-2008, 09:43 PM

713 posts, read 3,928,056 times
Smile As soon as the rain stops I'll be out taking more

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachLiving View Post
dsobotta, love those pictures. You should really consider putting together a Crystal Coast coffee table book. I bet you would do well with it.

But in the meantime, keep those pics coming
The photos will have to wait a while since we are getting rain tonight and tomorrow. We need the rain, and at least we do not have to worry about freezing rain.

I will be out this weekend and taking more pictures once the rain stops.

I would like to do a coffee table book one day when I slow down a little.

At one time I sold prints, but I rarely do that these days.

Moderator cut: tos violation

These days I just send people any photo that they would like.

Thanks for the kinds words, I'll keep the photos coming.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 02-22-2008 at 12:21 PM..

Old 02-23-2008, 08:36 AM

2 posts, read 5,454 times
Thanks for the info on the area. Seems to be a very nice place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina