Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2016, 10:36 AM

7,176 posts, read 6,725,254 times

Advertisements

Coastal NC

https://apps.ncdot.gov/NewsReleases/...s.aspx?r=12910

Quote:
Projects for coastal North Carolina include:

Constructing the northern section of the U.S. 17 Hampstead Bypass from N.C. 210 to U.S. 17 north of Hampstead in Pender County, which will improve travel along this important north-south corridor

Converting the U.S. 17/Harvey Point Road/Wayne Fork Road intersection in Perquimans County to an interchange, improving travel along the Future Interstate 87 corridor

Widening N.C 210 from U.S. 17 to South of Old Folkstone Road and adding a sidewalk and greenway near Camp Lejeune in Onslow County

Widening U.S. 421 from U.S. 17 Business to Burnett Boulevard adjacent to Port of Wilmington in New Hanover County
Eastern NC

https://apps.ncdot.gov/NewsReleases/...s.aspx?r=12913

Quote:
Projects for eastern North Carolina include:

Constructing the U.S. 70 Kinston Bypass from N.C. 148 to east of N.C. 58, part of the Future Interstate 42 corridor and an important connection to the Crystal Coast and Port of Morehead City

Widening U.S. 13/N.C. 11 from N.C. 11/561 near Ahoskie to U.S. 158/N.C. 45, which will improve safety and connect to recently widened sections near Winton in Hertford County

Widening N.C. 87 in Columbus County, which will improve access to the U.S. 74/76 corridor and support the agriculture industry

Upgrading U.S. 117 from north of Country Club Road to south of Genoa Road in Wayne County, improving the I-795 corridor

Improving the I-95/U.S. 701/N.C. 96 interchange and the I-95/U.S. 70 Business East interchange in Johnston County, facilitating a better connection between major regional routes
(Note: I know I posted the eastern NC projects in the Quad East thread since it included the I-795 corridor, but I later realized they belong in it's own thread, which is why I created this one to put the coastal and eastern projects together.)
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 10:59 AM

3,060 posts, read 4,795,415 times
Widening U.S. 421 from U.S. 17 Business to Burnett Boulevard adjacent to Port of Wilmington in New Hanover County

I believe this is Front St, which is a two lane road from the Cape Fear Memorial Bridge to the Carolina Beach Rd intersection. Besides a railroad crossing this is only about 10 blocks long and is sorely needed. I sat in it at 5PM the other day trying to get to the bridge for 45 minutes. It should be a relatively inexpensive project.

While the widening is needed because it is a bottleneck at rush hour, the REAL ISSUE is the Cape Fear Memorial Bridge, which still backs up into Wilmington causing the problems on Front St and 3rd St all the way back to Carolina Beach Rd and to about 10th St.

If the State thinks that the Causeway widening from 2 lanes to 3 lanes is just going to fix things, they are wrong...again. They have to deal with the CFMB at some point besides just painting it. They also have to deal with the 421/MLK intersection as well as the MLK/College Rd intersection, which they screwed up when they built MLK. And it is also going to cost a Billion dollars to build the Southern bridge. NC is WAY BEHIND in Wilmington.

Putting that project on the STIP is putting a band aid on a flesh wound.

Traffic runs nice and smoothly in Greensboro though.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
They also have to deal with the 421/MLK intersection as well as the MLK/College Rd intersection, which they screwed up when they built MLK. And it is also going to cost a Billion dollars to build the Southern bridge. NC is WAY BEHIND in Wilmington.
There was a proposal made back in 2004 to have I-40 extended along the MLK Parkway but it went nowhere.

Interstate-Guide: Interstate 40

Quote:
Meanwhile, in Wilmington, North Carolina, Interstate 40 was proposed to be extended southeast beyond its current terminus at U.S. 117. The extension would extend to Martin Luther King, Jr. Parkway by running the new highway largely between Kerr Avenue and Wilmington International Airport (ILM). From the airport, the extended Interstate 40 would then follow Martin Luther King, Jr. Parkway west into downtown, ending at the Isabel Holmes Bridge somewhat near where North Carolina 133 and U.S. 421 intersect. This project was introduced in December 2004, and was later discussed by local planning and business groups.11 Nothing has transpired from these developments since however.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:36 AM

Here's the full list of projects included in the draft 2018-2027 STIP. It seems that my OP was just a brief summary.

https://www.ncdot.gov/strategictrans...rojects_P4.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina