Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 12:06 PM

30 posts, read 101,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I think that they are building a ruth's chris in wilmington. I have read on a few local sites that they are hiring. not really sure what is going on with that.

What they'll usually do is hire the General Manager, the Kitchen and sometimes a sous chef. After that they will have them train at another store 4 a couple of mos to get a feel of how that "particular" establishment is ran. Then when they get back they will hire a staff of waiter, bartenders, chefs, etc..............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeager9 View Post
Having lived in both Raleigh/Cary and Wilmington for many years, I can tell say that there are many more privately-owned restaurants here in Wilm. Raleigh is very homogenous and has just about every chain restaurant you can think of, but part of the charm of Wilm is finding those family-owned hidden gems that only the locals can recommend.

As a side note: you should have lived here last year when Wilmington got it's very own Olive Garden on Market St. The line of people waiting for a table was (and still is sometimes) wrapped around the building with an hour+ wait. It took years and years of letters and emails sent from area residents to the parent company to build one here. It will probably take the same effort to get a PF Changs.

One of my local favorites is Something Fishy on S. College Rd. It's a "fish camp", similar to Ocean Stars up in Apex. One of the cheap chain restaurants that I miss from Cary/Morrisville is Remington Grill....good burgers and ribs.
Oh yea I forgot to mention I got my fix ova tha weekend. Im set now 4 a little while thanks for ur input though. . Ryeager9. I went to a little italian rest in cameron village called piccola italia, very good italian food. any suggestion as far as italian goes

Old 03-25-2008, 03:32 PM

698 posts, read 3,266,651 times
I think the Ruth Chris is going to be in a big hotel on the river downtown......I think I read that somewhere.??????????? but not sure. I'll have to investigate that.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:22 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,446,746 times
Wilmington does not seem to draw the big chains. It has only been in the last two years that an Olive Garden entertained opening a restaurant. We used to have to drive to Myrtle Beach to dine in one.

There is talk of a Ruth Chris going into the Hilton, along the riverfront. That may be a good move on the Hilton's part, as a restaurant with its reputation will have a bigger following than a hotel-run and managed restaurant. The Hilton's restaurant(s) have struggled for years.

I suppose there is too much competition with local restaurants in Wilmington, and most Wilmingtonians are very loyal to the places they frequent. When we lived there, which was the greater part of our lives, my husband and I dined at places where the food was not only good, but where we knew we were supporting another local.

Red Lobster went under years ago because it could not compete with the local seafood restaurants, and the only places (chain-oriented) that could ever compete seemed to be things like more reasonably-priced steak houses.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogluvr View Post
pei wei is one of my favorites too....their asian chopped chicken salad rocks! i emailed them as well.....who knows, maybe they'll get enough mail and open here.

indochine looks decent, i'll have to check it out.

Just emailed Pei Wei this morning. Waiting on some type of feedback. We will see!

Old 03-26-2008, 09:13 AM

217 posts, read 1,117,487 times
They are opening a Ruth Chris's in the Hilton Downtown Riverside. Will be a welcome addition to the many fabulous restaurants we have here in our area. It's hard to beat a steak from Ruth Chris!

My mother and I are both going to email Pei Wei too and try to get them here. We had to go up to Cary for a dr appt this week and Pei Wei was the first place we stopped when we got into town. It does such a good business. Even in "sleepy" Cary, that place is packed at 8-9 pm! I think it's only a matter of time before we get that or Chang's here

Old 03-26-2008, 09:49 AM

Pei Wei is more feasable at this point since they ARE opening a P F Chang's in Myrtle Beach. I had a friend that lives there research it 4 me. LOL. Should be opening in late April or early May ( I THINK). Where would they put it though. I dont know the prime real estate here yet.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:46 PM

217 posts, read 1,117,487 times
I think Pei Wei or Chang's would be perfect in Mayfaire!

Old 04-27-2009, 08:27 AM

2 posts, read 5,563 times
Smile No Cheesecake or Chang's

Hello everyone,

Just want some input on one of my favorite subjects: FOOD. I moved here(Wilmington) about 6 months ago from raleigh for a job. After a month of adjusting, I really like it here. The only problem I have is there are NO Cheesecake Factory or PF Changs within 2 hrs of here. Im not complaining because i've found some nice restuarants here but every once inna while I get a craving and have to drive to the triangle to cure the craving. What are you guys or ladies favorite restuarant. U guys have the floor now. Thanks[/quote]

Old 04-27-2009, 08:31 AM

2 posts, read 5,563 times
There is a great cheesecake bakery located in Whiteville called SweeDeePie Cheesecakes. There is no need to drive to Raleigh for good cheesecake. Go to Jamaica's Comfort Zone at 417 S College Rd. and get a slice. 910-399-2868.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina