Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 08:08 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,276,830 times

Advertisements

Most of the school districts east of I-95 perform below state average. If schools are really important and staying east of I-95 is really important look at Carteret County (Morehead City, etc). It's one of the few districts that performs above state average. Pitt County (Greenville) as a whole district performs well below state average, but there are probably higher performing schools w/in the district. You'll need to dive into the link I gave above to find that info.

Generally east of I-95 is pretty rural, has lower graduation rates, and more poverty than west of I-95, but of course it depends on the kids and teachers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 08:39 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,963,649 times
Elizabethtown? Whiteville? Clinton?

Last edited by hey_guy; 08-30-2017 at 08:49 AM..

Old 08-30-2017, 08:52 AM

29 posts, read 22,823 times
Thank you Poppydog. I may need to be talked out of east of 95 - poor schools would be something that would definitely convince me east is not best. I like the rural areas better than the metro areas, an inbetween location would be great, if that's even possible.

I have mentioned Winterville a few times but no comments on that area. Is it not a good location? Looked good in the reviews and other sites checked...yes or no?

I truly appreciate all the comments in input. As you are all well aware it is so hard to beginning looking in a state you are not familiar with without having someplace to start. I will be going up there the check the areas out in person but North Carolina is a huge state and I am only one person

Thank you again all. M

Old 08-30-2017, 08:58 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,336,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MH1955 View Post
Thank you Poppydog. I may need to be talked out of east of 95 - poor schools would be something that would definitely convince me east is not best. I like the rural areas better than the metro areas, an inbetween location would be great, if that's even possible.

I have mentioned Winterville a few times but no comments on that area. Is it not a good location? Looked good in the reviews and other sites checked...yes or no?

I truly appreciate all the comments in input. As you are all well aware it is so hard to beginning looking in a state you are not familiar with without having someplace to start. I will be going up there the check the areas out in person but North Carolina is a huge state and I am only one person

Thank you again all. M
I don't think anyone realized you had questions about Winterville. Here are some existing threads that may help:

//www.city-data.com/forum/coast...c-schools.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/coast...fo-needed.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/coast...here-live.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/coast...al-center.html

Old 08-30-2017, 08:59 AM

Reasons for e of 95. A friend of mine that lived in NC a number of years ago told me that the further inland you get the more humid it is, no air movement. I am not afraid of the hot weather at all, and inland CT (where I lived most of my life) can get very humid, no air movement too. But if interior NC has a tendancy to be very humid then I don't think I would like that. Not that I expect perfect weather but if inland is as my friend told me and e95 has more air movement that was why I said east.

Make any sense?

M

Old 08-30-2017, 09:04 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,963,649 times
I'm from rural ENC I dont find school concerns that justified. Where you have more poor people the averages will be worse but there is always successful communities.

It's only going to have an ocean breeze effect within 30 minutes of the ocean ENC is quite hot

maybe morehead city

winterville is just a greenville exurb

Old 08-30-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Reasons for e of 95. A friend of mine that lived in NC a number of years ago told me that the further inland you get the more humid it is, no air movement. I am not afraid of the hot weather at all, and inland CT (where I lived most of my life) can get very humid, no air movement too. But if interior NC has a tendancy to be very humid then I don't think I would like that. Not that I expect perfect weather but if inland is as my friend told me and e95 has more air movement that was why I said east.

Make any sense?

M
Not to be rude, but no it doesn't really make sense. And its not true. Eastern NC (away from right on the beach) is extremely hot and humid in the summer. Areas to west are also hot and humid, only slightly better than east of 95. Relief only comes once you get above 3,000 feet in the mountains.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:45 AM

BC1960 -- comment "Make and sense?" was intended as a question....not a statement.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
BC1960 -- comment "Make and sense?" was intended as a question....not a statement.
Ok, well, as I said, it doesn't make any sense, and its simply not true.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
I'm from rural ENC I dont find school concerns that justified. Where you have more poor people the averages will be worse but there is always successful communities.

It's only going to have an ocean breeze effect within 30 minutes of the ocean ENC is quite hot

maybe morehead city

winterville is just a greenville exurb
Thanks for your input -- I will check into Morehead city. It sounds like Winterviewl may not be a bad place to start looking,

I lived about 1/2 hour 45 min from the shore in CT and did notice the further inland the more humid, as to be expected.

Wondering if everyone's definitiion of hot is individual. In FL it is often over 90 up to 97 without a blink, but it doesn't really feel that hot to me. There are days it is very very humid but not the norm. Would relocating north to NC not mean it would not be as hot as here? I'm just trying to figure out if I would be making a lateral move to NC (weather wise).

This is very difficult to do.

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina