Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 11:51 AM

21 posts, read 16,018 times

Advertisements

Greetings-

Thinking of checking out Wilmington as a retirement spot and was wondering what people's experiences have been for such in the downtown area. We would be moving from Brooklyn, NY, so we are very much acquainted with urban living, with all of it's pluses and minuses. We enjoy being near active areas that afford varied things to do, yet are still relatively close to the beach. I've checked out home prices and they are reasonable for what we can afford. Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 07:12 PM

13,323 posts, read 26,778,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRev View Post
Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.
Go for it. Wilmington has the best medical care in the area. There is a variety of housing in downtown, with reovated apartments, and charming older places that need TLC. There is also good restaurants, arts and entertainment.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:05 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,293,827 times
Downtown is fine, just be careful, as the quality of the area can fall off rapidly. A block or 2 can make a huge difference.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:39 PM

2,838 posts, read 2,949,893 times
Even though it’s a downtown it would still be worlds different from Brooklyn I don’t even think there is a full service grocer pharmacy also heavily stilted toward young people I would visit first

So I guess I’m saying you’d still prob need a car but Wilmington generally sure

The downtown district houses I like a lot not downtown but you 4th through whatever street

Last edited by hey_guy; 10-27-2017 at 07:01 PM..

Old 10-30-2017, 07:02 PM

6 posts, read 7,202 times
We moved to Wilmington this past September from Massachusetts via NY and love it. Lots of things to do, friendly people, great restaurants, close to beaches and culture up the wooza. Yes, there are some areas downtown you might not want to walk alone in at night, but that’s true for any city.

Old 11-05-2017, 04:02 PM

353 posts, read 455,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Downtown is fine, just be careful, as the quality of the area can fall off rapidly. A block or 2 can make a huge difference.
Can you elaborate more on this? I'm going to Wilmington this week for a few days. I've tried to google search areas to avoid in Wilmington but all the information available is older and probably not useful.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead0043 View Post
Can you elaborate more on this? I'm going to Wilmington this week for a few days. I've tried to google search areas to avoid in Wilmington but all the information available is older and probably not useful.
If you walk around I think it will be relatively apparent. As an example take Church Street. The corner of Church and Front Street is a great location. It stays nice as you move away from the river to Second Street, Third Street and Fourth. If you look closely you'll start noticing some changes, and as you progress to Sixth, Seventh and Eight Streets the difference becomes very noticeable. The houses aren't kept as nice, more are obviously rentals, people are less invested in the neighborhood, etc.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:34 PM
C&E

1 posts, read 1,387 times
Planning to move to area near coastal NC. - but not right on beach. Not sure which area is best etc. coming from MD so very aware of "good" areas and "bad" areas. We will be retiring. Any suggestions of areas? Also considered Little River, SC

Old 11-07-2017, 05:46 AM

13,323 posts, read 26,778,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&E View Post
Planning to move to area near coastal NC. - but not right on beach. Not sure which area is best etc. coming from MD so very aware of "good" areas and "bad" areas. We will be retiring. Any suggestions of areas? Also considered Little River, SC
There are already scores of threads on retirement in Brunswick County. Leland and Southport have many "plantations" popular with retirees. Examples are St. James, Brunswick Forest, Compass Pointe and Waterford of the Carolinas. Try this web site for ideas on the price ranges: Brunswick County Homes for Sale | Carolina Plantations Real Estate

Old 11-07-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&E View Post
New Bern, Beaufort, Morehead City, Swansboro, Wilmington, Leland, Southport, Shallotte and others...depends on what you want exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina