Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2018, 06:45 AM

91 posts, read 214,842 times

Advertisements

I have the opportunity for a position in Little River, SC, and am curious about the expense differences in residing in SC vs NC.

1. I have read on the MB forum that electricity costs are high in Horry County, SC. How do they compare to Brunswick Co., NC?
2. What are the differences in other utilities?
3. I remember when my father lived in Charlotte, he commented on how expensive auto insurance is in SC. Are auto insurance costs less in NC?
4. Any other expense related concerns?

Single male. No children. I will be renting, so homeowners is not a concern. Appreciate any information. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 07:16 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,384,076 times
Its my understanding that Horry Electrical Coop (SC) has a per KwH charge of about 12 cents, and Brunswick EMC's is about 10 cents. But I think Brunswick has a higher base facility charge, so I don't think the difference is huge for most people.

In general, car insurance is about 20% cheaper in NC than SC, but I'm sure every individual case is different.

I don't think any of these costs are enough to influence where you live.

Old 01-23-2018, 04:32 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
I would focus on home insurance costs and wind/hail. Those are much bigger hits than electricity! Good Luck.

Old 01-23-2018, 04:45 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs70119 View Post
I have the opportunity for a position in Little River, SC,
and am curious about the expense differences in residing in SC vs NC.
Single male. No children. I will be renting.

Appreciate any information.
Housing (rent/utilities/etc) is the single biggest variable between any two places.
All the rest pretty much comes out in the wash (incl renters insurance).

Do you know what the job wages are? What the NET weekly paycheck should be?
How many weekly checks are you willing to spend each month on housing?

What sort of situation can you put together there using only ONE check each month?

Old 01-24-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

What sort of situation can you put together there using only ONE check each month?
As a general rule, no one should expend more than 1/3 of income on housing costs. The less the better if satisfied with the living environment. The salary is known to me. Needing this information to subtract these expenses to determine maximum monthly rent and more broadly if this would be a postive, neutral or negative change financially.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:41 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs70119 View Post
As (AN ABSOLUTE) rule, no one should expend more than 1/3 of income on housing costs.
I'm suggesting 23%. Including utilities. Of NET.
12/52's One net WEEKLY check to cover the MONTHLY housing costs.

That NET is after payroll taxes and anything else you have deducted.

Quote:
The salary is known to me.
Good. Don't forget the 401K, IRA and any other PRETAX deductions you take.

Do the math and see where the numbers leave you.
Then see what padmapper and craigslist show to be available in that range.

Old 01-25-2018, 05:31 PM

Thanks for the advice Dad, but it's too late. I'm 56.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina