Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2018, 10:16 PM

56 posts, read 98,679 times

Advertisements

My wife and I who currently reside in wisconsin will be finally leaving the cold and snow. I have an opportunity with work to either move to the wilmington area or swansboro/jacksonville/morehead area. We are in our mid 30s non military (noticed a lot of folks living in jacksonville are military) and we have a 5 month old daughter. We would like to live 20 mins away from a beach and affordable housing. 200k or under for a newer 3bedroom house 1400 sq ft or bigger. If we moved to wilmington area we would buy a house in Leland since you get more bang for your buck. Just would like to get some input from some locals. We did visit wilmington area and did like the area and loved carolina beach but didnt have time to check out the swansboro area. Any opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 05:52 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vexeclipse2007 View Post
We did visit wilmington area and did like the area and loved carolina beach but didnt have time to check out the swansboro area. Any opinions?
While Swansboro has a cute downtown, I think you would prefer the Wilmington/Leland area. There are way more amenities in the larger Wilmington urban area. While Swansboro may also have cheaper housing, it also has military noises: artillery and helicopters. Military people also tend to move every few years, so your neighborhood would be more transient.

Old 03-11-2018, 06:28 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,379,350 times
I agree completely with goldenage.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:17 PM

21 posts, read 43,952 times
Wilmington, hands down. I've not been to swansboro but I have been to morehead city. While I didn't see all of it, MC seemed very rundown to me and not like a place to live year round. I was shocked how undesirable it was as it's on the water. Wilmington has the most to do and has mostly everything you will need regarding food, kids activities, stores, restaurants, and entertainment.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:08 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times
I've been to both and would go with Swansboro in a minute. But I am a contrarian by nature,

Leland is about the most cookie cutter area in the universe. Traffic from there to the beaches will not be fun in the summer.

Clearly, if you want/need a lot of stuff, Wilmington is the answer, but Id prefer the environment in and around Swansboro.

Good Luck.

Old 03-19-2018, 04:57 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,029,289 times
Jacksonville is home to Marine Corps Air Station Camp LeJeune. Jacksonville is the youngest city in the US with the average age just under 23 years old.
The Official Web site of Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune
https://visitjacksonvillenc.com/149/About

Wilmington is by far the largest NC coastal city with a population over 100,000 people. It is a port city situated up towards the head end of the Cape Fear River. It is also a college town, home to the University of North Carolina at Wilmington (UNCW).
https://www.wilmingtonnc.gov/

I went for a weeks vacation in Morehead City and 35 years later I'm still here! It is a beautiful town along an area known as the Crystal Coast of North Carolina. I could live anywhere. I chose Morehead City.
https://www.crystalcoastnc.org/

Full disclosure. My wife and I own and operate a real estate agency in Morehead City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina