Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 11:31 AM

9 posts, read 40,062 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are interested in purchasing in Compass Pointe, after looking at several other communities. We are aware of the fees, etc and of all the benefits that come with them. Can anyone point out some of the 'cons'? There must be some downside to living there, but everyone from the real estate rep to people who live there say it's 'euphoric'. We just want to go in with our eyes open and know all the good and bad of the place so we can make an educated decision. We would love to hear of some of the resident's experiences that were not so nice.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 11:34 AM

14 posts, read 49,739 times
Where else did you look? My wife and I are heading down in June to see CP, BF and Waterford. As you have looked already, what did you learn? PM me if you prefer. Thanks

Old 04-18-2018, 01:23 PM

183 posts, read 286,741 times
Here are some other Compass Pointe topics

compare compass pointe, brunswick forest, porters neck plantation, landfall and st james plantation
Is anyone familiar with Compass Pointe Near Leland

Old 04-23-2018, 02:12 PM

25 posts, read 89,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2ndcc View Post
My husband and I are interested in purchasing in Compass Pointe, after looking at several other communities. We are aware of the fees, etc and of all the benefits that come with them. Can anyone point out some of the 'cons'? There must be some downside to living there, but everyone from the real estate rep to people who live there say it's 'euphoric'. We just want to go in with our eyes open and know all the good and bad of the place so we can make an educated decision. We would love to hear of some of the resident's experiences that were not so nice.

TIA
Hello,

We bought in CP last year, but not planning on building for 3-4 years. In terms of Cons, having access to the message board for owners there is a little more insight available:
1. The new Highway extension of Route 140 has caused some noise pollution on the East Side of the development, State so far says they won't do anything, the developer and residents are looking into ways to abate the noise issue but if you stay away from that side of the development then no issue.

The other issues are more general to the area and to a development like this:
2. There are a couple manufacturers in the area(a paper mill for 1) that have occasionally sent some "smells" that were not very pleasant. It seems to come up once a year when the wind blows right but likely happens a few days a year, the same can be smelled all over Wilmington area so it is not really a CP negative and I was comfortable about how little it came up and the ability to report it to the town for remedy. Does not seem like it is hazardous in any way.
3. It's unclear what future amenities will be past the Lazy River, Indoor Pool and outdoor pool, already some complaints of too crowded at main pool and they have only over 700 of the 2000 homes built. So, as with all developments not completed, you run risk of amenities not keeping up with growth.
4. Leland is growing fast, Wilmington is growing fast, the area from Myrtle Beach to Wilmington area is the second fastest growing area of the country, how traffic and growth is handled in the future is a concern
5. HOA Fees are $95 per month and budgeted to be $105 per month in 2027 but without 100% completed amenities and developer out it is hard to judge future dollars.
6. It is a little further to Leland Restaurants and food shopping the BF for example, not far away, just more out there, might be a plus being a bit away from all that
7. The whole area is working out the Water contamination issue, seems like worst case that in 3 years there will be an RO system which may cause an increase in water rates. Google Gen X and Wilmington.

We looked around at multiple developments and I think you can find negative with any of them but CP was just as it seemed, the people seem wonderful, very helpful on owners Message Board, very committed to giving back, very active, lots to do, obviously I was sold because we had no intention of buying anywhere for a few years and we bought after visiting and it was the last place of our visit. I'm a finance manager and there developer and there overall community finances look great and I expect HOA fees will stay moderate even with added amenities, the fact the Finance committee is going out 15+ years of budgeting is great and there expectations are reasonable.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:39 PM

378 posts, read 418,403 times
https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/p...eport_2009.pdf

Old 04-28-2018, 04:52 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay The Great View Post
That has nothing to do with Compass Point. Please stop posting irrelevant and off topic material.

Old 05-08-2018, 05:44 AM

4 posts, read 26,565 times
Default Compass Pointe Pros and Cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2ndcc View Post

TIA
Compass Pointe would be my choice, based on location, location, location – pros include access to Wilmington and the beaches, retail stores and restaurants nearby, and the people who live there (mostly northerners who came to NC for better weather and lower cost of living) are friendly and take pride in the appearance of their property. Con: although newcomers can choose among a variety of builders and custom features, houses generally tend to be cookie cutter, with builders such as Liberty, Trusst, and Bill Clark building the same model over and over -- same style and same roof lines with few discernible differences in the exterior. Some sections of Compass Pointe are built exclusively by a single builder and look like tract housing.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:26 PM

77 posts, read 144,299 times
Don’t want to hijack the thread but realistically, how far from CP to a marina, boat ramp, or inshore waters for boating? And also, a beach?

Old 05-08-2018, 03:54 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconic11 View Post
Don’t want to hijack the thread but realistically, how far from CP to a marina, boat ramp, or inshore waters for boating? And also, a beach?
The closest boat ramp is about 10 minutes away, at Davis Creek Park in Navassa. Its very basic, and I'm not sure how large of a boat it can accommodate. More developed ramp access and marinas can be found in the Southport area (30 minutes) or the Wrightsville Beach area (also 30 minutes). Closest beaches are Oak Island or Wrightsville Beach, both about 30 minutes.

Old 05-08-2018, 04:50 PM

77 posts, read 144,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
The closest boat ramp is about 10 minutes away, at Davis Creek Park in Navassa. Its very basic, and I'm not sure how large of a boat it can accommodate. More developed ramp access and marinas can be found in the Southport area (30 minutes) or the Wrightsville Beach area (also 30 minutes). Closest beaches are Oak Island or Wrightsville Beach, both about 30 minutes.
Thank you, sir.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina