U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2018, 02:57 PM

3 posts, read 2,263 times

Advertisements

I'm driving myself nuts trying to chose what place to live with my family. I want to be able to boat and swim, have a small town feel but close to at least Target and Walmart. Im hoping for a place that does family events, parades, festival's, things with the towns people
Also schools are important, I do have a daughter that has a learning disability and has an IEP.

I'm looking at the Wilmington area, or 3 towns near Raleigh; Cary, Apex and Morrisville. Even considering Florida, maybe Port St. Lucie. Can anyone tell me their views of these towns and a possible comparison if you've lived at more than one? Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 12:45 PM

165 posts, read 117,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle North Carolina View Post
I'm driving myself nuts trying to chose what place to live with my family. I want to be able to boat and swim, have a small town feel but close to at least Target and Walmart. Im hoping for a place that does family events, parades, festival's, things with the towns people
Also schools are important, I do have a daughter that has a learning disability and has an IEP.

I'm looking at the Wilmington area, or 3 towns near Raleigh; Cary, Apex and Morrisville. Even considering Florida, maybe Port St. Lucie. Can anyone tell me their views of these towns and a possible comparison if you've lived at more than one? Thank you!
Questions for you:
1. Where are you moving from?
2. Do you have a job lead or job in any of these areas?
3. Do you have expectations for your child's IEP and it being followed?

Old 07-24-2018, 08:29 PM

5,700 posts, read 10,521,057 times
If I were you, I'd check out Morehead City/Beaufort NC and Southport NC....or if inland, try Hillsborough...all 3 would suit you according to your stated wish list.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:32 PM

11,848 posts, read 21,567,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle North Carolina View Post
I'm looking at the Wilmington area, or 3 towns near Raleigh; Cary, Apex and Morrisville.
None of these have a "small-town feel". Cary, Apex and Morrisville are very large, rapidly-growing suburbs of Raleigh, with the only swimming likely to be the neighborhood pool.

Wilmington might suit your goals better as it is a small city on the coast. Please do some searches on past neighborhood reccommendations. Also please research your job opportunities and pay scales before you venture a visit. The pay may less than you are making in your current location.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:01 AM

3 posts, read 2,263 times
Due to cost of living, Florida is where we landed. Thanks everyone!

Old 08-11-2018, 01:27 AM

3,638 posts, read 5,358,326 times
Congrats! Where in Florida?

Old 08-11-2018, 03:35 PM

1 posts, read 944 times
Don't waste your time on anything in the Raleigh area -- way too pretentious and snotty, and it's been that way ever since the days of the Andy Griffith Show, where even the characters on that show would always dismiss going to Raleigh, or people from Raleigh, as being way too stuck-up and not worth the trouble.

Personally, I much prefer western NC and its towns like Winston-Salem and Asheville (but avoid Charlotte, for the same reasons I gave for avoiding Raleigh).

If you're looking for the Southern feel, you might try the panhandle of Florida, all the way from Tallahassee west to Pensacola. Marianna has swimming holes and caves and there's lots of nature all along that stretch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina