U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 12:18 PM

6,018 posts, read 4,270,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
I’m not opposed to living in Greenville I don’t feel right now the city itself has a reputation of family friendly I am told to picture ghetto or college kids acting nuts
I recommend visiting Greenville to get a firsthand look and then be the judge.

If Greenville turns out not to be your cup of tea, then I would strongly echo michealbond’s suggestion of Wilson. Location-wise, Wilson is nearly impossible to beat. It’s nearly midway between the Triangle and Greenville, easy access to I-95 if you like to travel, and the I-795/US-117 corridor heading south from Wilson to I-40 is a straight shot to Wilmington and it’s beaches as well as picking up US-70 in Goldsboro in order to head to the Crystal Coast.

Wilson is stagnant compared to Greenville, but it’s not a bad city (at least IMO).

Last edited by LM117; 08-09-2018 at 12:47 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 12:36 PM

1,070 posts, read 1,129,889 times
Quote:

I’m not opposed to living in Greenville I don’t feel right now the city itself has a reputation of family friendly I am told to picture ghetto or college kids acting nuts
No disrespect, but whoever told you "ghetto" or "college kids acting nuts" probably hasn't set foot in Greenville in a decade. Let alone the last couple of years. Sure there's a couple of bad areas, but "ghetto" is not a term I'd use for Greenville at all. It's similar to the stigma Durham received for many many years. As you know Durham has plenty of bad areas and plenty of good areas. Of course, college kids are going to be wild and stupid. Just like any other town with a college in it. But more than likely, you won't find college kids in the areas you're looking to buy in Greenville, especially at a 300k budget.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:45 PM

6,018 posts, read 4,270,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
no disrespect, but whoever told you "ghetto" or "college kids acting nuts" probably hasn't set foot in greenville in a decade. Let alone the last couple of years. Sure there's a couple of bad areas, but "ghetto" is not a term i'd use for greenville at all. It's similar to the stigma durham received for many many years. As you know durham has plenty of bad areas and plenty of good areas. Of course, college kids are going to be wild and stupid. Just like any other town with a college in it. But more than likely, you won't find college kids in the areas you're looking to buy in greenville, especially at a 300k budget.
+1

Old 08-09-2018, 12:52 PM

2,564 posts, read 2,174,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
No disrespect, but whoever told you "ghetto" or "college kids acting nuts" probably hasn't set foot in Greenville in a decade. Let alone the last couple of years. Sure there's a couple of bad areas, but "ghetto" is not a term I'd use for Greenville at all. It's similar to the stigma Durham received for many many years. As you know Durham has plenty of bad areas and plenty of good areas. Of course, college kids are going to be wild and stupid. Just like any other town with a college in it. But more than likely, you won't find college kids in the areas you're looking to buy in Greenville, especially at a 300k budget.
ok what areas should I look

Old 08-09-2018, 02:44 PM

1,694 posts, read 2,196,132 times
Quote:
ok what areas should I look
Winterville and neighborhoods S/SE of Greenville Blvd...

Old 08-09-2018, 03:00 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,261,416 times
We liked Southern Pines area, southeast of the City...outside City limits so just County taxes. The public schools can be an issue though, depending on just where the home is, if that's a concern.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:45 PM

2,674 posts, read 3,754,320 times
Quote:
What about from bladen county 96/100 to Beaufort county schools. Also I’m in Durham

It would be a good job for me but my wife would leave her career and have to find something so really I feel like if the position went forward feeling like we could live a better family life would be the kicker to go through w it and it’s hard to predict
Greenville is a very family friendly City and for the most part people are really nice. For 300K you can get a nice house in a nice subdivision. I'd recommend the Corey Rd area which has good schools, is convenient to everything and is close to Boyd Lee Park.

As well, Greenville would be a lot better option for your wife to get employment than Washington would be.

To answer your question, you are not crazy to leave the Triangle for Greenville...Greenville is really a nice sized town that is making real strides. Its downtown scene is growing by the month, it has entertainment options with ECU (especially if you work there), and is an affordable place to raise a family. The traffic is bad, but just at rush hour...and it has a lot of retail/restaurant options if you just look around.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:03 AM

2,564 posts, read 2,174,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Greenville is a very family friendly City and for the most part people are really nice. For 300K you can get a nice house in a nice subdivision. I'd recommend the Corey Rd area which has good schools, is convenient to everything and is close to Boyd Lee Park.

As well, Greenville would be a lot better option for your wife to get employment than Washington would be.

To answer your question, you are not crazy to leave the Triangle for Greenville...Greenville is really a nice sized town that is making real strides. Its downtown scene is growing by the month, it has entertainment options with ECU (especially if you work there), and is an affordable place to raise a family. The traffic is bad, but just at rush hour...and it has a lot of retail/restaurant options if you just look around.
do you think the commute from washington to greenville is reasonable?

Our commutes about 10 miles here are 25 minutes due to stoplights and traffic

Old 08-10-2018, 08:09 AM

248 posts, read 238,031 times
Quote:

At worst a commute from Washington to ECU would be about 30 mins via 264. 264 Is a 4 lane 60 MPH Hwy linking to 2 cities so traffic at least on the HWY should not be bad at all.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:41 AM

2,674 posts, read 3,754,320 times
Quote:

Absolutely. There are a couple of options to get there and traffic is easy. You wouldn't want to live in west of Memorial Drive though, would add time to the commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or