U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 05:53 AM

4,214 posts, read 10,860,712 times

Advertisements

We looked at New Bern but ultimately decided on Southport. We are from the northeast but lived in Raleigh for 10 years prior to retirement. Southport is historic, very charming and only 30 minutes to Wilmington. The big draw for us was living so close to the water. Yes, New Bern has water but it's not the ocean.....we are 5 minutes to Caswell Beach and Oak Island as well as being very close to the riverfront in town.

Good healthcare at NHRMC in Wilmington although we still have access to our current doctors at Duke. It's a 2 hr, 40 minute ride to Raleigh, very easy with the new bridge open in Rt 140.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 08:00 AM

12 posts, read 40,720 times
So we just got back from our trip to New Bern, and we liked New Bern a lot. I definitely liked it more then my wife though. We actually did go to Morehead City, Atlantic Beach, and Beaufort too so we could see more of that area. I was a huge fan of that beach compared to the ones that I am use to.

We had a couple of good meals which were at Morgan’s and MJ’s. I loved having no traffic around to get everywhere. Never had a problem parking downtown, and I actually thought the streets were in pretty good shape. The worse part I saw was in the historic district which still were not terrible. Being from Charleston I didn’t find the bad areas to be that bad, or at least bad enough to detour us from moving there.

My wife is still on the fence right now, but I would like to move forward with New Bern. I wanted to reply to let you know what we thought. It checked most of the boxes off on my list, and that’s pretty good. It takes my wife a lot longer to get there. Thanks again for all of the replies! We enjoyed New Bern and it’s surrounding areas. P.S. My parents loved New Bern a lot too.

Old 09-05-2018, 09:53 PM

10 posts, read 23,434 times
For better or worse we've decided to retire to New Bern. We lived in Charleston for 10 years, and saw similar themes shared by New Bern, but with less traffic and a much lower cost of living to in New Bern.

I'm still working in Birmingham, but hope to retire within the next 12 months or so. We bought a house in the historic district as we wanted to be able to walk to things and not be in the car all of the time (we currently live out in the country and I spend far too much time driving. It's also isolating for my wife). I just hope our initial impressions prove to be correct. We're committed now....

We looked at Southport but found it a little TOO small for us. Is is a cute little town, though. We didn't find being near to Wilmington a big attraction... We will probably head to Raleigh for "big town things".

Old 09-09-2018, 07:42 PM

183 posts, read 301,377 times
You folks want fantastic food?Go to The Harvey Mansion with the new owner and chef Vincent Farro.Incredible food?

Old 09-11-2018, 07:41 AM

217 posts, read 181,977 times
Visit the area this Thursday, see how much you like it. Good luck to all my friends and former neighbors in New Bern. Glad I moved.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:22 PM

12 posts, read 40,720 times
Needless to say after Hurricane Florence we will be moving to Charlotte. We were just in New Bern a week and a half ago and really liked the town. It’s really a bad situation there, and hope the town can get back on it’s feet after all of this. Glad I got to see New Bern before the storm. My parents and family are very much saddened about what Hurricane Florence is doing to New Bern as we all loved the area when we were there.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:54 PM

14,430 posts, read 25,443,124 times
Appreciate you coming back (and it is terribly sad what is happening there - I have family in NB but not downtown) - so many don't bother to come back.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:11 PM

217 posts, read 181,977 times
I found out tonight that two of my closest friends have lost everything. Such a great area and the finest people, just breaks my heart to see this happen.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:56 AM

14,430 posts, read 25,443,124 times
- I'm sorry to hear

Old 09-15-2018, 09:58 AM

15,409 posts, read 18,613,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpTheCreek View Post
I found out tonight that two of my closest friends have lost everything. Such a great area and the finest people, just breaks my heart to see this happen.
That sucks but even looking at the towns affected on an aerial map you have to wonder what the thought process was building out there! FL Keys has the same issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina