Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 07:24 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisermust View Post
Well we were about to vacation in MB when Florence came through. This year we were going to scout around for an area to retire to. But now I see all the flooding all over and even way inland from NMB and we’re rethinking where to buy our retirement home. I have seen some of the home listings in Carolina Shores and they are in our budget, look nice with decent sized lots and with trees. BUT how did the homes fare in the wake of hurricane Florence? Downed trees? Flooding? And how restrictive is the HOA? Any insights will be greatly appreciated.

For 18 years I have heard and AGREE with COMPLETELY, " I wish I coulda', woulda' shoulda' moved here sooner".

'Nuff said!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahd0w View Post
I'm also interested in hearing responses. I just moved to Wilmington in April after being told by locals that hurricanes rarely come here and when they do they aren't that bad. I have had nightmares about this event since it happened. The thought of being stranded here because the roads are closed and not having access to power, food or water terrifies me. I was considering buying a house next year after my lease ends but now I am seriously considering relocating.

" I just moved to Wilmington in April after being told by locals that hurricanes rarely come here and when they do they aren't that bad."

You SHOULD have done MORE research! There is PLENTY out there!

Old 10-11-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
You're considering moving to Carolina Shores to avoid hurricanes?! Have you looked at a map?
If you DO look at a map you will see Carilona Shores runs SE to NW and gets very LITTLE hurricane activity.

The history of hurricane activity in NC. Note MOST is from Wilmington NORTH up the coast

" Cape Hatteras is most affected by storms within the state, though Cape Lookout and Cape Fear are also regularly affected; the increased activity in three areas is because it protrudes from elsewhere along the Atlantic coastline.[4] After Southern Florida, Cape Hatteras has the lowest return period, or the frequency at which a certain intensity or category of hurricane can be expected within 86 mi (139 km) of a given location, in the country.[6] As the Outer Banks"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ina_hurricanes

NOTE, there is NO mention of the SW part of the state.

Found this area 18 years ago through a friend who had moved here 7 years prior to that. He put up his hurricane shudders his 2nd year here. NEVER AGAIN since.

I have put up mine twice in almost 12 years.

The 1st time to make sure I would know how. Didn't need them then.

2nd time was for Florence ONLY because we were already planning to leave the area for NO REASON due to Mathew. Didn't need them.

Last edited by Quick Enough; 10-11-2018 at 07:46 AM..

Old 10-11-2018, 07:48 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
If you DO look at a map you will see Carilona Shores runs SE to NW and gets very LITTLE hurricane activity.

The history of hurricane activity in NC. Note MOST is from Wilmington NORTH up the coast

" Cape Hatteras is most affected by storms within the state, though Cape Lookout and Cape Fear are also regularly affected; the increased activity in three areas is because it protrudes from elsewhere along the Atlantic coastline.[4] After Southern Florida, Cape Hatteras has the lowest return period, or the frequency at which a certain intensity or category of hurricane can be expected within 86 mi (139 km) of a given location, in the country.[6] As the Outer Banks"

Found this area 18 years ago through a friend who had moved here 7 years prior to that. He put up his hurricane shudders his 2nd year here. NEVER AGAIN since.

2nd time was for Florence ONLY because we were already planning to leave the area for NO REASON due to Mathew. Didn't need them.
My point, which was obvious, is that moving from Wilmington (on the coast) to Carolina Shores (also on the coast) doesn't accomplish much if one is terrified of hurricanes.

Also, what do you mean by "there is NO mention of the SW part of the state." Do you mean the southeast part of the state? If so, there is plenty of mentions; on the list of "North Carolina Major Hurricanes", 3 of them made landfall in SE NC. And many others have done the same...Fran, Floyd, Ernesto, Bertha plus lots of non-hurricane storms and nor'easters.

12 years is a very short period of time, weather wise.

Last edited by BC1960; 10-11-2018 at 08:04 AM..

Old 10-13-2018, 05:07 AM

Quote:
My point, which was obvious, is that moving from Wilmington (on the coast) to Carolina Shores (also on the coast) doesn't accomplish much if one is terrified of hurricanes.

Also, what do you mean by "there is NO mention of the SW part of the state." Do you mean the southeast part of the state? If so, there is plenty of mentions; on the list of "North Carolina Major Hurricanes", 3 of them made landfall in SE NC. And many others have done the same...Fran, Floyd, Ernesto, Bertha plus lots of non-hurricane storms and nor'easters.

12 years is a very short period of time, weather wise.
"My point"

Your "point" is to get people on here to THINK you are so much smarter then the rest of us.

Brunswick Count has been one of the largest growing counties in the COUNTRY for DECADES.

Only during the Housing bubble burst did it slide sown.

It is BACK UP.

According to YOU, ALL these thousands of people are too stupid to know how much hurricane activity this area gets.

I moved here from the Mid-Atlantic and my research showed THIS AREA gets LESS hurricane activity then where I moved from.

There is NO PACE IN THE COUNTRY that is FREE from some sort of "bad" weather".

THIS area gets VERY LITTLE compared to other areas of the country and state.

So, genius, tell us where YOU live.

Old 10-13-2018, 05:39 AM

Quote:
"My point"

Your "point" is to get people on here to THINK you are so much smarter then the rest of us.

Brunswick Count has been one of the largest growing counties in the COUNTRY for DECADES.

Only during the Housing bubble burst did it slide sown.

It is BACK UP.

According to YOU, ALL these thousands of people are too stupid to know how much hurricane activity this area gets.

I moved here from the Mid-Atlantic and my research showed THIS AREA gets LESS hurricane activity then where I moved from.

There is NO PACE IN THE COUNTRY that is FREE from some sort of "bad" weather".

THIS area gets VERY LITTLE compared to other areas of the country and state.

So, genius, tell us where YOU live.
Jeez, dude, lighten up. I live in Southport (which is in Brunswick County), although i have no idea why that matters. I also have no idea what Brunswick County's growth rate has to do with anything. You need to actually read what I wrote, and read the post it was in response to...if you did you would see how irrelevant your comments are.

Interesting that you didn't bother to actually respond to what I wrote in my previous post, you just went off on a pointless tangent and immature, petty personal attacks.

The fact is moving from Wilmington to Carolina Shores makes zero sense if one is terrified of hurricanes.

Old 10-15-2018, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Jeez, dude, lighten up. I live in Southport (which is in Brunswick County), although i have no idea why that matters. I also have no idea what Brunswick County's growth rate has to do with anything. You need to actually read what I wrote, and read the post it was in response to...if you did you would see how irrelevant your comments are.

Interesting that you didn't bother to actually respond to what I wrote in my previous post, you just went off on a pointless tangent and immature, petty personal attacks.

The fact is moving from Wilmington to Carolina Shores makes zero sense if one is terrified of hurricanes.

"The fact is moving from Wilmington to Carolina Shores makes zero sense if one is terrified of hurricanes"

I REPEAT, you don't know what you are talking about!

Old 10-15-2018, 06:12 AM

Quote:
"The fact is moving from Wilmington to Carolina Shores makes zero sense if one is terrified of hurricanes"

I REPEAT, you don't know what you are talking about!
The links YOU provided prove that I do. But beyond that, common sense should inform you that living anywhere on the coast of the southeastern US puts one at risk for hurricanes. There is no magic shield in Brunswick County...Hazel, Diana, Fran, Bertha, Floyd, Ernesto, Matthew, Florence, etc. all attest to that. This is not a knock against Brunswick County. I live here and love it here. Its simply the reality of living on the coast. Hurricanes happen. They can and do strike anywhere.

Last edited by BC1960; 10-15-2018 at 06:20 AM..

Old 10-16-2018, 06:24 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,218,086 times
Quote:

If you seriously think that Brunswick County is immune from hurricanes, I suggest that you Google Hurricane Hazel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina