Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 05:19 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,423,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
How do you like Southport? I noted you are from RI and wanted your perspective. My husband and I reside near a major city within 60 miles of the coast and have visited our daughter in the Boston area, Nantucket and Newport, RI. We initially thought we would relocate there but, are now thinking warmer weather. We truly love the vibrancy and beauty of these coastal northeast cities so I am wondering how well you have adapted to a smaller town as a full-time resident. We have vacationed in Duck, NC and like it very much but it would be much too small and too "islandish" for full-time. Our other option is being snow birds for a few months.
We left RI in 2008 and lived in the Raleigh area for about 10-1/2 years. We really liked the area but wanted to live closer to the coast. Initially, we thought we would move back to RI or MA but after looking extensively, we decided the cost of real estate was too high, property taxes were also too high and we just didn't think we could tolerate cold winters after being away for so long. For example, a 1030 sf home in Narragansett, RI, 1 mile from the beach, no garage, kitchen/single bath which both needed updating was listed for a whopping $410K. Cape Cod was even higher. My husband is from Newport and in all honesty, we probably would have moved there if possible.

That being said, we really do like it down here. We moved in August and are now meeting more and more people, making friends, developing a social life. We love the town of Southport. We had a pretty warm winter and the town was busy most weekends, definitely not dead. It really is nothing like Duck. To me, Duck, is a beach vacation destination, just large modern homes on the water with no character. Southport is a quaint historic small town, with tons of character. The area is growing and draws lots of people from the northeast looking for a place to retire. There are lots of things to do in the area and I don't find it overly remote. Duck is defInitely remote. I'd say we are adapting well and enjoying life here. I will admit it can be a little frustrating when I need something specific and have to travel to Wilmington. Southport is about 30 min from Wilmington, 60 min from Myrtle Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 06:02 PM

3,143 posts, read 1,599,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
We left RI in 2008 and lived in the Raleigh area for about 10-1/2 years. We really liked the area but wanted to live closer to the coast. Initially, we thought we would move back to RI or MA but after looking extensively, we decided the cost of real estate was too high, property taxes were also too high and we just didn't think we could tolerate cold winters after being away for so long. For example, a 1030 sf home in Narragansett, RI, 1 mile from the beach, no garage, kitchen/single bath which both needed updating was listed for a whopping $410K. Cape Cod was even higher. My husband is from Newport and in all honesty, we probably would have moved there if possible.

That being said, we really do like it down here. We moved in August and are now meeting more and more people, making friends, developing a social life. We love the town of Southport. We had a pretty warm winter and the town was busy most weekends, definitely not dead. It really is nothing like Duck. To me, Duck, is a beach vacation destination, just large modern homes on the water with no character. Southport is a quaint historic small town, with tons of character. The area is growing and draws lots of people from the northeast looking for a place to retire. There are lots of things to do in the area and I don't find it overly remote. Duck is defInitely remote. I'd say we are adapting well and enjoying life here. I will admit it can be a little frustrating when I need something specific and have to travel to Wilmington. Southport is about 30 min from Wilmington, 60 min from Myrtle Beach.
Thanks. Your response was on point. I am definitely looking for character and charm. Big box stores, golf courses, etc. not so much.

Old 02-23-2019, 08:30 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,379,350 times
Apparently, the Oak Island Town Council has called a special meeting this morning to reconsider the pay parking plan.

Old 02-23-2019, 10:50 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,730,375 times
One of the many reasons I left Oak Island. Too many bored retirees who dabble in politics. Like something to do to pass the time, rather than govern. And of course, a huge dose of “that is not how we did it where I used to live.l

OK for a week or two vacation, but it gets old, fast.

Old 02-23-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
One of the many reasons I left Oak Island. Too many bored retirees who dabble in politics. Like something to do to pass the time, rather than govern. And of course, a huge dose of “that is not how we did it where I used to live.l

OK for a week or two vacation, but it gets old, fast.
Well, to be fair, that's the case in virtually every community with a high retirement population. And many without.

Old 02-23-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Apparently, the Oak Island Town Council has called a special meeting this morning to reconsider the pay parking plan.
I haven't heard the result of the meeting, but it is being reported that the company initially selected is actually a shell corporation with no history of running parking operations and the company principal has a criminal record. Uh oh, lol. Guess the due diligence wasn't done very well.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:47 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,730,375 times
Quote:
I haven't heard the result of the meeting, but it is being reported that the company initially selected is actually a shell corporation with no history of running parking operations and the company principal has a criminal record. Uh oh, lol. Guess the due diligence wasn't done very well.
See my post above!

Old 02-25-2019, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
See my post above!
See mine too!

Anyway, due diligence issues are more on staff and the town attorney than the council members.

Last edited by BC1960; 02-25-2019 at 06:38 AM..

Old 03-06-2019, 03:35 PM

At a meeting last night, the Oak Island Town Council made no decision about paid parking, after rescinding the decision to negotiate a contract with an operator on March 2. It doesn't appear any decision will be made in time to institute paid parking this year.

Old 03-07-2019, 04:15 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,423,346 times
Quote:
At a meeting last night, the Oak Island Town Council made no decision about paid parking, after rescinding the decision to negotiate a contract with an operator on March 2. It doesn't appear any decision will be made in time to institute paid parking this year.
Thanks for the updated information. I've come to depend on you to stay informed!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina