U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2019, 02:56 PM

275 posts, read 144,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATJ20 View Post
Thanks for all the advice guys. Reading a little bit about the NC coast and it seems nothing like our coast up here in NH, ME and MA. NC coast seems devoid of industry for the most part.
The Wilmington area will be your best bet. You probably won't find everything on your list.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 04:12 PM

11,574 posts, read 12,688,047 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the advice guys. Reading a little bit about the NC coast and it seems nothing like our coast up here in NH, ME and MA. NC coast seems devoid of industry for the most part.
Yes, our beaches are pretty unspoiled and we like them that way.

If it's "non-negotiable" that you have live within an hour of the beach then NC might not be the best fit for you because it's non-negotiable that the best jobs are going to be in the middle of the state in Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and Charlotte.

It is very hot and humid here in the summer. We have already hit 100. https://www.wect.com/2019/06/01/may-...ather-records/

Old 06-03-2019, 05:47 PM

11,825 posts, read 21,495,071 times
Quote:
... Reading a little bit about the NC coast and it seems nothing like our coast up here in NH, ME and MA. NC coast seems devoid of industry for the most part.
Historically, North Carolina depended on cotton, tobacco and pine trees while the North was industrializing. Many small towns an hour from the coast are still farming towns. Health care, the military, colleges and local government are the main places where you will find computers and networks. That is why I have suggested the larger urban area in Virginia and South Carolina.

Old 06-04-2019, 01:38 PM

21 posts, read 33,288 times
We bought land in Compass Pointe in Leland and will build in about 2 years because we hate the weather in the winter in New England, it slowly grinded us down, in early 50's and both born in New England. We originally thought we would just go on vacation for 2 weeks in Jan and 2 weeks in Feb every year as we aged but then visited Wilmington area to rule it out as an alternative and both loved it. You must visit the areas, you can't do months while still in the kid stage, but a long weekend or a week, anything is better than nothing.
We are lucky enough that wife can move a business and also I can work contract in finance part time and that's enough for us. Network Engineer, as most IT jobs, are in demand most places, but unlikely you can get remote work only, as programmers would, but you would have jobs available, there were several jobs available with that title in a quick Google search but obviously you want to line something up before committing. Expect pay to be a bit lower there than in New England.

We decided from May 15 to Sept 15 the weather is generally better in New England and Sept 16-May 14 rather be in Leland. So 8 months vs 4. When you add in the fact we have only visited in the dead of summer and still loved it

-Sitting outside in summer at a restaurant at 7:30 PM with a slight breeze and some fans to keep it very comfortable vs. New England Winter where no time in the day can you be comfortable be outside. Being very outdoorsy people it just won us over. Yes it is hot in high summer, but we did a 3 mile walk in August, it's muggy but New England is muggy in the summer, I didn't find the mugginess any more or less, just a few degrees hotter.

Good luck on your search, I feel your Winter pain!

Old 06-04-2019, 01:58 PM

32 posts, read 56,476 times
Quote:
I have heard some negative things about the Wilmington area..
What did you hear? Just curious.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:40 PM

163 posts, read 114,954 times
Quote:
We are a family from NH fed up with th long cold, harsh New England winters and are exploring the idea of moving somewhere warmer like NC. We need to be less than an hour from the coast. We are beach/ocean people to the core. We have young kids so decent public schools (if there is such a thing) are important. Any recommendations for towns on/near the NC coast? How hot are the summers in NC? On the coast?
So, being fed up with winters, I get that. But please know that NC is not NH with lower taxes and better winters. Schools here will not live up to your expectations if your kids are in public schools in NH. Ultimately, you get what you pay for. I am a former New Englander but I have been in central NC since 1996.

The summers are hot here. You really need to come here in August and see if you can stomach it.

You either want to be ON the coast....or far inland. An hour from the coast is rural of type you probably haven't seen in NH.

Jobs are hard on the coast, jobs like you describe. Pay will be less than what you would learn in the Triangle area.

As someone else suggested, take a look at Cary & Apex. Jobs abound in the RTP area. And it is a great place to raise kids.

Old 06-05-2019, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassakitty View Post
Jobs are hard on the coast, jobs like you describe. Pay will be less than what you would learn in the Triangle area.

As someone else suggested, take a look at Cary & Apex. Jobs abound in the RTP area. And it is a great place to raise kids.
As others have said, your best prospects on the coast are in Wilmington. Take a look at Indeed.com for "network engineering", and there is a current listing for the New Hanover Regional Medical Center. That is the hospital and related facilities, and it has probably the largest network in the area. See if the job is a fit for you, but be aware there are probably dozens of other applicants who want to escape cold weather. Also check the Brunswick County listing for its salary scale: Senior NE paying 54K to 70K per year.

Wilmington does get occasional snow and temperature in the teens in the winter. It also has a huge risk for hurricanes and flooding. I agree with the suggestion to visit in August to see how you deal with heat, humidity and bugs.

Old 06-05-2019, 06:22 AM

189 posts, read 229,472 times
The weather does get very cold in the Wilmington/MB area during the winter, don't confuse our winter weather with Florida. We live close to the ocean and the biggest challenge are the ice storms, not snow. We have headed to Florida for part of the winter for the last three years.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:20 AM

The cost of living in Wilmington is anywhere from 10% to 28% cheaper than places in New Hampshire. I compared it to Manchester and Portsmouth, not knowing where the OP lived. Portsmouth NH has very high real estate costs. The OP should expect offered salaries to be comparably lower.

The exception may be in the cost of homeowner insurance because of the hurricane risk. I believe Wilmington will have a much higher cost of homeowner insurance.

I am not trying to be discouraging, just realistic. The winter weather should not be the only criterion for a place to live.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:23 AM

275 posts, read 144,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Purple 2 View Post
The weather does get very cold in the Wilmington/MB area during the winter, don't confuse our winter weather with Florida. We live close to the ocean and the biggest challenge are the ice storms, not snow. We have headed to Florida for part of the winter for the last three years.
OP lives in New Hampshire, not Florida. They won't even notice its winter in coastal NC. Of course, they'll definitely notice its summer, lol.

Ice storms in Wilmington? They're so rare its not an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or