U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 02:11 PM

15 posts, read 8,384 times

Advertisements

We are a family from NH fed up with th long cold, harsh New England winters and are exploring the idea of moving somewhere warmer like NC. We need to be less than an hour from the coast. We are beach/ocean people to the core. We have young kids so decent public schools (if there is such a thing) are important. Any recommendations for towns on/near the NC coast? How hot are the summers in NC? On the coast?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2019, 02:22 PM

275 posts, read 145,208 times
Summers are very hot and humid in coastal NC, especially if you aren't right on the ocean, and that doesn't help much. You definitely need to visit in July or August and make sure you can stand it.

Wilmington is the most vibrant city on the NC coast and has some very good schools. Will you be looking for jobs? If so, in what field? What is your budget for a house?

Old 06-02-2019, 02:24 PM

Wife is an RN and I am a network engineer.

Yeah we don't want to jump out of the freezer into the frying pan but the winters in New England make you wanna kill yourself some years. The cold and darkness can be brutal.

We also lean conservative too and thought NC might b e a better fit.

Old 06-02-2019, 02:45 PM

275 posts, read 145,208 times
If being within an hour of the beach is non-negotiable, look at Wilmington. But I'd strongly advise you look at the Raleigh/Cary area. Great schools, plenty of jobs and 2 hours from the beach.

Old 06-02-2019, 06:36 PM

11,840 posts, read 21,544,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATJ20 View Post
Wife is an RN and I am a network engineer.....
There will not be many network engineering jobs near the coast. Perhaps you could look at Camp Lejeune. I'd suggest also looking at the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John NC View Post
If being within an hour of the beach is non-negotiable, look at Wilmington. But I'd strongly advise you look at the Raleigh/Cary area. Great schools, plenty of jobs and 2 hours from the beach.

The 1 hour from the coast is not negotiable. We know nothing about the NC/SV/VA area. It's just an idea we had after enduring another grueling NH winter and non existent Spring.

I have heard some negative things about the Wilmington area. Are there actually nice suburbs around Wilmington? We live in a town in NH now that has 4000 people and it's kind of annoying when everyone is in everyone else's business. We're not city people either; can't stand the overcrowding, small home lots and traffic. I guess ideally we'd like a town between 8k - 25K people that has a more rural feel to it where the homes are not on top of each other.

Again this may never become a reality but it is something we're seriously considering. We do like lots of thing about New England during the fall, summer and good springs when we have them but the winters are so miserable.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:50 AM

248 posts, read 238,313 times
Quote:
The 1 hour from the coast is not negotiable. We know nothing about the NC/SV/VA area. It's just an idea we had after enduring another grueling NH winter and non existent Spring.

I have heard some negative things about the Wilmington area. Are there actually nice suburbs around Wilmington? We live in a town in NH now that has 4000 people and it's kind of annoying when everyone is in everyone else's business. We're not city people either; can't stand the overcrowding, small home lots and traffic. I guess ideally we'd like a town between 8k - 25K people that has a more rural feel to it where the homes are not on top of each other.

Again this may never become a reality but it is something we're seriously considering. We do like lots of thing about New England during the fall, summer and good springs when we have them but the winters are so miserable.

You may like the Hampstead Area. It's about 20-25 mins north of Wilmington, however, at that point, you will be dealing with Pender County Schools, which I don't think it's as good as New Hanover County, but I don't know the logistics with schooling in either Pender or New Hanover County area. There is also Leland which is just west of Wilmington in Brunswick County. You can also try southern Wilmington going towards Carolina Beach. I do believe things get a little more spread out that way.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:44 AM

11,840 posts, read 21,544,233 times
Quote:
The 1 hour from the coast is not negotiable. We know nothing about the NC/SV/VA area.
The reality is the there are not many network engineering jobs in the suburbs of Wilmington. Unless you are open to changing careers, I suggest looking for jobs first. There are plenty of hospitality and tourism jobs.

The RN will probably have an easier time finding a job, but will probably take a pay cut.

Another area with more network jobs would be Charleston, SC. But the weather is hotter, and you would want to be in the suburbs. Mount Pleasant is very nice. The RN could also find a job more easily there.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:53 AM

720 posts, read 272,460 times
Definitely have jobs nailed down before relocating. Big John’s advice to experience summer down here is smart. It’s brutal and it lasts for months. If you have allergies, they will be worse here.

Our kids are grown but my guess is the public schools don’t measure up to what you have there.

Given all that, Leland is a growing suburb close to Wilmington with lots going on and plenty of retail, restaurants, close to entertainment options in Wilmington.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:36 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys. Reading a little bit about the NC coast and it seems nothing like our coast up here in NH, ME and MA. NC coast seems devoid of industry for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or