Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2019, 10:41 PM

363 posts, read 1,119,996 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be visiting some friends near Kitty Hawk in early September. When we leave the place they'll be renting, we hope to drive down Highway 12 through Cape Hatteras, Ocracoke, then on thru Wilmington, Myrtle Beach and beyond. Eventually we'll need to get to Charleston SC, where we'll catch a plane for home in Northern CA. We have built two days into our itinerary for this part of our trip. My questions are, 1. how long (time wise) is the drive down Hwy 12, including the ferries. 2. It looks like Wilmington would be about halfway to Charleston; where's a good place to stay overnight in that area? 3. any "must see, or do" places along that stretch of coast? And 4, we'd like to get to Charleston early enough for dinner the evening before our flight home. What's the one dinner house in Charleston that we should try?. Oh, I do know that Charleston is in South Carolina, but wanted the convenience of a single post. Plus, I have confidence in Tar Heels!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 07:02 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,641,105 times
The drive from Kitty Hawk to Hatteras is about an hour and half. There you can catch a ferry to Ocracoke, which takes an hour. There is a ferry from Ocracoke to the mainland (Cedar Island) that takes 2 hours and 15 minutes, with 5 departures per day:

https://www.ncdot.gov/travel-maps/fe...px?from=9&to=0

Beaufort (NC) is a charming fun town to visit, if you have time.

Lots of places to stay in Wilmington, best bet is probably downtown, its very walkable and has lots of nice stores, restaurants, a short Riverwalk (boardwalk). Or maybe stay in Southport, another small, charming coastal town.

So many great restaurants in Charleston, depends on what type of food, budget, etc. Charleston Grill is great, very pricey, reservations a must. Same for FIG. Hominy Grill is more casual. Cru Cafe is great. Check tripadvisor for more info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina