U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 06:32 PM

182 posts, read 805,308 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are visiting Oak Island for the first time the week of July 4th. We're familiar with the Wilmington/Carolina Beach area but not Oak Island. We've been told it's a quieter area which is fine but was wondering if anyone had suggestions on places we should be sure to visit? We're a 30ish couple traveling with our dog so any dog friendly dining would be great as well. Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 06:42 PM

2,064 posts, read 991,965 times
What kind of food? Price? Ambiance?

Shagger Jacks and The Lazy Turtle are dog friendly. Both casual, bar food type place with outdoor seating. Shagger Jacks has better food, but Lazy Turtle is right on the beach.

Old 06-23-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
What kind of food? Price? Ambiance?

Shagger Jacks and The Lazy Turtle are dog friendly. Both casual, bar food type place with outdoor seating. Shagger Jacks has better food, but Lazy Turtle is right on the beach.
Great, happy to hear they do have a few dog friendly options. We are fairly eclectic in our food choices so we're open to any type of food but of course some good seafood at the coast is a must. Price wise we're flexible as well, breakfast and lunch probably looking for $-$$ type places but at least a night or two we'd like to visit a place in that $$$-$$$$ range for dinner.

Old 06-23-2019, 07:12 PM

For a good, basic breakfast I like The Old Bridge Diner. If you're willing ot interested in venturing into nearby Southport, Provision Company is great for a casual, waterfront lunch or dinner, of seafood and Mr. P's is the place for an upscale dinner. Island Way is the best upscale dinner on the island, and i think its good to very good, but not great. Swain's Seafood shack is great for local seafood in a casual environment. KoKo Cabana is a new place that drawing rave reviews. Island Jo has great sandwiches. Tranquil Harbor is a great mid-priced place.

Old 06-23-2019, 07:48 PM

39 posts, read 42,612 times
Need lunch choices then Pepperroni Grill is fine for a pizza, not NY, but not bad. Also The BBQ House is very good for pulled pork, brisket, etc.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:29 AM

3,930 posts, read 10,127,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
For a good, basic breakfast I like The Old Bridge Diner. If you're willing ot interested in venturing into nearby Southport, Provision Company is great for a casual, waterfront lunch or dinner, of seafood and Mr. P's is the place for an upscale dinner. Island Way is the best upscale dinner on the island, and i think its good to very good, but not great. Swain's Seafood shack is great for local seafood in a casual environment. KoKo Cabana is a new place that drawing rave reviews. Island Jo has great sandwiches. Tranquil Harbor is a great mid-priced place.
Pretty much agree with this. Mr P’s Bistro is my favorite restaurant is Southport. Great food, in town but not on the water. Oliver’s, which is on the water is overrated IMO. There is also the Moore St Oyster Bar in Southport which is excellent. Fishy Fishy is always a tourist destination because of movies filmed there. They have some decent choices, good views. Most locals prefer Provision.

On the island....while Island Way has a beautiful ocean view, I’ve had several mediocre dinners there....and one pretty poor one. I have not been to Koko Cabana yet but heard it is pretty good. There is a new place on Fish Factory Rd called The Rusty Hook which is quite good as well. There are 2 good Italian restaurants, Joseph’s (which actually was recently voted best Italian restaurant in NC) and Castucci’s, which I think is better. Joseph’s is located near the Rusty Hook and has nice water views. No reservations for parties under 6 and can get quite busy. Castucci’s does not have the ambience but food is really good. Swain’s is good basic seafood, lots of fried stuff. Many locals really enjoy the seafood at Turtle Island, it’s always jammed (not to be confused with the Lazy Turtle). Kai-Joe’s has excellent fish and shrimp tacos!

As the previous poster mentioned, Island Jo’s is great for breakfast. It’s a small place with homemade quiches, pastries. They have great breakfast sandwiches on a bagel. There is also L’il Bits Grill for breakfast.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/collecti...an-restaurant/
Hope this helps.

Old 06-24-2019, 05:45 AM

27 posts, read 19,679 times
Just keep in mind that’s the busiest week of the year down there. Restaurants will be packed.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:36 AM
LLN

5,142 posts, read 9,257,269 times
Used to live on the island. Tried very hard to not even get in the car during 4th of July debacle . . . erhhh . . week. One could argue there is no food on the island worth venturing out for over the 4th. Recommend some pancake mix, eggs, milk, sausage and whatever. Purchased before you even get to OI/Southport. Good luck.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:39 AM

All beaches are packed that week. I would hope the OP (and everyone else) is aware of that.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:29 PM

Yes unfortunately my employer has set paid vacation weeks (Week of the 4th and Christmas/New Years 2 weeks) during which the company closes so we’re forced to vacate during a busy time. We’ve been to Wilmington and Carolina Beach during this week as well so unfortunately understand things will be packed.

Sounds like we’ve got some excellent places to try and visit, hopefully we’ll be able to make it to many of them. Gonna start checking out some menus and planning which places to prioritize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or