Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 09:25 PM

219 posts, read 588,603 times

Advertisements

If this thread does a double post I am sorry...computer is acting a little funny....

Here is the skinny though. My wife and I live in Orlando (which we just HATE). To much crime (crazy amount), to much traffic, to much of everything!!! We have been looking at relocation to the Raleigh area in August and we chose that location because of hockey. We are not closed to living elsewhere that isnt to far.

My company (I am a travel nurse) contacted me on a position at Craven Regional Medical Center in the ICU/CCU. So I got to thinking that I know nothing about the area or that hospital.

A little about us...I'm in my 30's, she is in her 20's. We are not into the club scene but do enjoy a nice little bar/pub with live music. No kids but we plan for that to happen next year. We love outside. Beach, lakes, rollerblades, bikes, SCUBA, golf, etc. If it is outdoors then we will probably be involved in it. We are both nurses and looking for a place to buy a home...raise a family...get a dog named Boo (ok...maybe not the last one). But we just want away from Orlando and all the crime and traffic.

So if there is some folks out there will the insight I would love to hear it. Especially concerning the crime, traffic, quality of life, housing cost and whatnot. Also any info about that hospital would really be great.

Thanks!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 05:50 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,540,758 times
New Bern is a smallish town, much smaller than Raliegh or Orlando. the quality of life is decent but not much to do unless you like water activities. About 1 hour from the beach, right on the water, for boating and fishing. Crime is low, there is some but usually its robbery of convience stores or murder and shootings in the slums, which is just a very small area. You can get a 1400 sqft home for around 150K-170K. really nice homes are going from 200K. Lots of new developement too. Carolina Colours is a really nice new developement just south of New Bern off of highway 17.
Summers are hot and humid but not as long as in Fla. it actually gets cold here but never last for long.
The hospital is growing as I write. with the influx of retirees it has to grow.
The downside, shopping and dining sucks around here.

Any other questions?

Old 04-16-2008, 07:06 PM

928 posts, read 3,851,465 times
Try Havelock which is in craven county or Newport which is in Carteret County. I don't know if you like the 'drive' to work, but coming from orlando your commutes would be way less stress. Some of the areas are rural compared to Orlando. Good luck and PM me if need assistance.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:29 PM

928 posts, read 3,851,465 times
I forgot to mention, I would not live in New Bern.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNYgirl View Post
I forgot to mention, I would not live in New Bern.

Haha....nice add on!

What I have read it may not be the place for us. We are looking for a more laid back life, compared to Orlando, to start a family but I'm not sure if New Bern fits for us.

Although I like the thought of 200k buying a nice house. In Orlando...200k would come with a complimentary homeless person in your yard!!!

Old 04-16-2008, 09:57 PM

505 posts, read 2,542,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNYgirl View Post
Try Havelock which is in craven county or Newport which is in Carteret County. I don't know if you like the 'drive' to work, but coming from orlando your commutes would be way less stress. Some of the areas are rural compared to Orlando. Good luck and PM me if need assistance.

Havelock???? alrighty then........

New Bern would be the perfect town for you with what you described. Go for it.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beffrey2 View Post
Havelock???? alrighty then........

New Bern would be the perfect town for you with what you described. Go for it.

Do you live in NB?? I would love to have an insiders view on the town? The majority of the threads I've read make it sound as if it is a dying community or something.

I figured in a town that size that the biggest complaint would be the job market...but we are both in the health care field. Never a problem with finding work.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:22 AM

505 posts, read 2,542,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docbest74 View Post
Do you live in NB?? I would love to have an insiders view on the town? The majority of the threads I've read make it sound as if it is a dying community or something.

I figured in a town that size that the biggest complaint would be the job market...but we are both in the health care field. Never a problem with finding work.

New Bern is not a dying town at all....the opposite in fact. Downtown New Bern is booming right now! New condos going up everywhere. How many eastern NC towns can say they have condos being built downtown??? Only one, Wilmington! Plenty of great restaurants downtown like the chelsea, Morgans Taveran and grill and pollock st. deli...among others.

New Bern does not have a great job market....does not have the best shopping. That is normal for a small town. But the shopping is slowly improving as population increases.

But everything else is what many people would look for in a town. You are surrounded by water....and a REAL historic downtown. If you have a boat, or a friend with a boat....you will be in heaven!

Schools are average, crime is low....there are projects....but most of the crime stays in the projects.

35 minutes from the ocean.

There are some small bars as well. I used to love going to the cellar at Harvey Mansion. (a 1700's pub) They had bands too. The sheraton would be your nightclub. There are other bars as well..(all downtown)

I honestly can't understand why anyone would not like New Bern....Unless you are into the big town thing.

For a town of New Bern's size, I can honestly say it has to be one of the best in the state of NC. Low traffic, great quality of life, plenty of golf...Taberna, the emerald, fairfield, etc....housing prices are low..especially compared to larger cities like Orlando.

I know plenty about New Bern, lived there for a while. PM if you have anymore questions.

Last edited by Beffrey2; 04-17-2008 at 01:35 AM..

Old 04-17-2008, 05:53 AM

858 posts, read 2,992,619 times
Default XNYgirl, why wouldn't you live in New Bern??

My wife and I have traveled to the NB-Havelock area a few times now, and are seriously considering retiring there. While we are leaning towards the Brices Creek area of NB, we haven't finalized our chioce yet; heck, we could end up in New Port, or Havelock.

I don't understand why you say you wouldn't retire there? It seems to me that when we are answering someone's questions, we should take a few extra minutes to give adequate justification? I'm not saying you don't not have valid reasons, but it would be great if you could share some of your insight rather than a simple "I would not live in New Bern". I would like to know what's wrong with NB too?

Granted from what I read on these boards, there are a few bad areas there, but overall, from what I've personally seen, ther area is beautiful, with an abundenance of nice housing, decent shopping, and the Croatan National Forest.

Best regards......marc

Old 04-17-2008, 06:06 AM

Thanks for that reply marc.

It does seem to be true about this board. The overall feel of NB seems to be a little blah. I guess you have to take everything with a grain of salt. My wife and I are considering driving up for a long weekend to check it out. But if there are negatives that people have I would love to hear the "whys" and that holds true for the positive alike.

I have lived all over the world (thank you USMC) and have learned that every place has to be felt out by the individual. But in the past I have found this forum helpful and hope to do the same here. I wouldn't never make that kind of choice on what I read or posted on here rather use it as a tool for feel out the local do's and dont's.

And thank you to all that reply...keep them coming...I have gotten the name of a few "gonna try" restaurants and a couple of golf courses to try (VERY IMPORTANT!!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina