Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2008, 01:49 PM

9 posts, read 20,287 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I currently live in good ole' southern Arkansas (sarcasm). We want to move somewhere on the coast, but not so much Florida or California. I've read some good things about North Carolina and am extremely interested in visiting some of the coastal regions.

We currently live in a city of 80,000. I would like to live somewhere with a relatively similar population count, but I would like to be on the coast. I'm aware that not many of the coastal cities have high populations.

So I guess my question is, what coastal cities offer lifestyles for higher populations? Should I aim for a 80,000 + or am I wrong to assume anything less would offer less?

I just want to have movie theaters and malls available without sacrificing the beach experience.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 02:26 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,848,785 times
wilmington is the only place that meets that criteria. it actually sounds like exactly what you are looking for size wise.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:42 PM

yeah, i've been doing more reading on these boards about wilmington. and it does sound like a great place, but i'm worried about the cost of living. i'm a struggling college student with a struggling college student boyfriend. we currently rent a house for $500 and that's a lot for us (combined with bills and utilities). and if we moved to wilmington, we'd have to find some customer service/retail job.

what is the average cost of living there? if we moved down there we'd first look to rent. then, maybe after we got settled and hopefully better jobs, look for a house.

thanks

Old 04-16-2008, 03:15 PM

cost of living varies. depends on what you want. there are definitely plenty of customer service/retail jobs here. in fact, that's about all there is here! I rented a two bedroom two bath apartment and it was not even $800 per month. and that was a month to month lease. the rental market is pretty reasonable here, the real estate is a little iffy, but there is a lot of inventory so you can still find deals. there are some realistic sellers out there, you just have to look.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:31 PM

wow, your shindig sounds pretty nice

someone on another thread suggested looking more towards the Carolina Beach area for a lower cost of living, then just taking a short drive to Wilmington for entertainment purposes. A) is the cost of living actually cheaper there? and B) is it really a short drive to Wilmington? haha, thanks!

Old 04-16-2008, 03:44 PM

you can find some good rentals down towards carolina beach aka monkey junction. a short drive to wilmington? it's probably about 15 minutes in normal traffic going down carolina beach rd. that is to get downtown though. shopping and other stuff is right down south college road, which, depending on time of year and time of day, can be good or bad. midnight, it's good. lunchtime on a saturday during the summer, you had better keep a nice stash of anti anxiety meds in your glove compartment!

Old 04-16-2008, 06:50 PM

928 posts, read 3,852,050 times
Myrtle Beach might be an option, however, if your looking to attend college if you move, you will do best after you establish residency, because college is CHEAP here.

I personally would wait and move after you graduate. Good Luck

Old 04-21-2008, 02:16 PM

39 posts, read 166,393 times
Definitely Wilmington if you want NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina