Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2008, 09:59 AM

46 posts, read 103,887 times

Advertisements

I have been reading alot of these posts about the towns there on the coast and outer banks. For me I am thinking I would like the outer banks better. I am coming from a small fishing town that has no chains, but good restaurants and a fishing / surfing feel. A coast guard Cutter is stationed there. I say all this to give a feeling. I am looking for something similar in N.C. I was thinking near Wilmington because I would maybe like to work on a second masters in marine biology. Does anyone live in the outer banks that actually commutes to the mainland? Are there ferries? I can see the road on maps that they seem really out of the way, like I go north for 30 miles ,then over, when Wilmington looks close enough to swim to, so do you use ferries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 02:00 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,266,106 times
I can tell you from just visiting the area most of my life that commuting to Hatteras Island from Wilmington is not a reasonable trip you would want to make every day.

It is a good 3 hours or more just to get to the ferry to take you to the ferry off of Cedar Island.

About a hour ride on the ferry to Ocracoke, about 35 minutes drive across that island to the other ferry spot and about 45 minute ride to to Hatteras Island.

Hatteras Island is what you are looking for small fishing coastal towns with local restaurants and shop though.

Look into Frisco or Salvo and see if you can find anything affordable there. Most of the locals who do not have beach homes live in the Wanchese area.
In the summer alot of the servers, sales associates will be European assisting the summer tourism on summer visas.

Unless you own a boat commuting from Wilmington to the Outer Banks is a bad idea.

Even then you have obstacles like the ferries encounter such as storms, wind sheer, rough water, sandbars.

I know the NC coast has what you are looking for but you may have to sacrifice some of your wants to live ideally in this area.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-19-2008 at 04:47 PM..

Old 04-19-2008, 04:04 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,316,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I can tell you from just visiting the area most of my life that commuting to Hatteras Island from Wilmington is not a reasonable trip you would want to make every day.

It is a good 3 hours or more just to get to the ferry to take you to the ferry off of Cedar Island.

About a hour ride on the ferry to Ocracoke, about 35 minutes across that island to the other ferry spot and about 45 minute ride to to Hatteras Island.

Hatteras Island is what you are looking for small fishing coastal towns with local restaurants and shop though.

Look into Frisco or Salvo and see if you can find anything affordable there. Most of the locals who do not have beach homes live in the Wanchese area.
In the summer alot of the servers, sales associates will be European assisting the summer tourism on summer visas.

Unless you own a boat commuting from Wilmington to the Outer Banks is a bad idea.

Even then you have obstacles like the ferries encounter such as storms, wind sheer, rough water, sandbars.

I know the NC coast has what you are looking for but you may have to sacrifice some of your wants to live ideally in this area.

Sunny I agree with everything you just wrote - very good info!

Surfer, if you want a nice small fishing village without any chains then Hatteras Island is the place for you. However, if you want to pursue any educational opportunities you better just plan to live in Wilmington or one of its suburbs. You cannot live on the outher banks and access many colleges.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:57 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,228,043 times
Hi again Seaweed
In Manteo, there's a research institute in marine sciences, connected to several universities in the region, might be a group you'd want to associate with, some programs are even accredited. They do a lot of local studies of the Outer Banks region. It's less than an hour from Hatteras, right up the beach road, then over the bridge.

Here are two links that talk about it.

New facility for coastal studies - Triangle Business Journal:

Outer Banks Continuing Education - Community Colleges, Universities (http://www.outerbankschamber.com/relocation/ceducation.cfm - broken link)

Old 04-21-2008, 08:19 AM

Thanks everyone for great info!!!! I feel like I am getting closer to finding a home, now if I can only find a teaching job on an island I'll be set to go

Old 04-23-2008, 08:41 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,266,106 times
I found this surfing license plate and thought about you portion of the proceeds goes to a foundation It looks pretty cool one of a few license plates that have a different background. Buddy Pelletier Surfing Foundation

Old 04-24-2008, 11:09 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,228,043 times
Seaweed,
Just a reminder, there are schools of all grades up and down the Outer Banks, including down in Hatteras.
GG

Old 04-24-2008, 12:31 PM

17 posts, read 101,808 times
Buddy's sister heads the foundation, located in Atlantic Beach.
Buddy was an east coast surfer from way back. The BP longboard contest is every summer there.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:58 PM

Hey thanks guys/gals?
Cool plate I'll have to get one when I move there! I have actually heard of that guy and his sister form surf forums. I am getting stoked about moving out there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina