Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2020, 01:51 PM

7 posts, read 9,578 times

Advertisements

I read the landscaping rules about shrubbery fencing (plants must initially be 2' high and 4' apart) but that won't keep dogs in. Then I read something brief about "regular and electronic fencing must be 3' inside property line" but I don't do electronic and there are no other rules for regular fencing.

Surely there must be rules about types of fencing materials and height restrictions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2020, 02:09 PM

1,013 posts, read 724,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaraNC View Post
I read the landscaping rules about shrubbery fencing (plants must initially be 2' high and 4' apart) but that won't keep dogs in. Then I read something brief about "regular and electronic fencing must be 3' inside property line" but I don't do electronic and there are no other rules for regular fencing.

Surely there must be rules about types of fencing materials and height restrictions.
This may not help much but when we built in 2006, we were told fence height couldn’t be more than 4’ so that’s what we built. We have a wooden fence (unpainted) but I haven’t seen any others like ours. I see the black metal and white picket styles here and there. Maybe a call to the POA could direct you to the person who has answers. (though when I call with questions I usually get “that’s the HOA” and “that’s the POA” and no one knows)

Old 01-10-2020, 03:54 PM

Thank you CLfan...that's helpful just knowing that there are homeowners there with fences and the height restriction of 4'. That works for me.

Old 01-10-2020, 05:56 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,643,408 times
See page 11 of the Design Guidelines:

https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.stjamespoa...GUIDELINES.pdf

Says you can have a 4 foot tall fence.

POA contact information: https://www.stjamespoanc.org/page/POA_STAFF

Old 01-10-2020, 10:59 PM

Thank you Edward. I'll check out those links.

This is off topic but I also can't find out about how much it costs just to use the pools and restaurants...and is it an annual charge or one time?

Is it extra to join clubs and other activities?

Old 01-11-2020, 07:54 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaraNC View Post
This is off topic but I also can't find out about how much it costs just to use the pools and restaurants...and is it an annual charge or one time?

Is it extra to join clubs and other activities?
I think the use of pools and restaurants is covered by the social membership which is a 4-figure number annually. Google turned up a 2014 document saying $172.50 monthly for the social membership.

You might try searching the large thread on St James, but someone wil probobly jump in with the correct number.

Last edited by goldenage1; 01-11-2020 at 08:04 AM..

Old 01-11-2020, 09:18 AM

52 posts, read 78,998 times
The Social membership let's you use the pools, restaurants, fitness facilities, a dozen rounds of golf at member price. No tennis. It is $245 per month for 2020. But you do have to pay the $10,000 initiation fee first unless your new home builder pays it which some do if you went that route.

Old 01-11-2020, 09:34 AM

1,013 posts, read 724,998 times
Even if you don’t join one of the clubs’ membership plans, as a homeowner your POA fee allows use of the St. James beach club/ pool on Oak Island when it’s open, I think May to sometime in Fall.

Old 01-12-2020, 03:37 AM

Thank you for these helpful replies! This is good to know. Even though it initially sounds expensive, if you factor in the reasonably priced homes and the extra quality of life all the amenities offer, then it sounds well worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina