Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 05:29 AM

41 posts, read 105,941 times

Advertisements

Ok...so we decided on Holly Ridge. We want to be in between wilmington and jacksonville. And close proximity to the beach. Plus it seems like you can get a brand new house for cheap compared to other cities. Here are My questions ....1) can u see in the near future holly ridge expanding adding more businesses? 2)how is the water compared to wilmington (read wilmingtons water is dangerous to consume) and 3) what is the drive time (no traffic) to wilmington and Jacksonville and what times should i avoid driving there due to traffic?. And last one 4) can we enroll our daughter at topsail schools vs dixon? Drive seems to be the same? Thank you so much and hoping to move in the next 3-4 months!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2020, 06:28 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,642,290 times
1. Yes, but if you're thinking Target, Walmart, etc. it will be a long time. HR is growing, but its tiny.
2. The water provider is Onslow Water and Sewer Authority. Their water supply is not the Cape Fear River, so I don't think they are experiencing any issues with genx, but you can contact ONWASA directly and find out: https://www.onwasa.com/.
3. Other than morning and afternoon rush hour there aren't significant traffic issues.
4. Schools are county-wide and based on residence. Topsail schools are Pender County; Dixon is Onslow County. Holly Ridge is in Onslow, so if you live in Holly Ridge, you have to go to Dixon. HR is very close to the county line however, so you'll have to check the exact location of your house.

Old 02-01-2020, 07:45 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vextc05 View Post
Ok...so we decided on Holly Ridge...... And last one 4) can we enroll our daughter at topsail schools vs dixon?
1) Some businesses in Holly Ridge struggle to stay open, and there is a lot of turnover. Holly Ridge has only a dollar store for groceries. Surf City seems to be develiping with a Walmart neighborhood market and a nice new Publix.

2) Water from Onwasa is said to be safe. However it has a lot of iron and minerals, so you might want filters or a water conditioner. See the existing threads.

3) Since drive time depends on exactly where you are going to and from, please use Google Maps and set it to the time of day. But it is roughly 21 mintes to Jacksonville and 37 minutes to Wilmington, center-to-center. The time to avoid is the 8AM morning rush hour in Hampstead, especially when buses and parents are turning into the Topsail High School to drop off kids. The Jacksonville congestion is at the Camp Lejeune gates, but you can avoid them.

4) No on the choice of schools to attend. The student must attend the school in the county in which she resides. Some Holly Ridge addresses are in Pender County, but most are in Onslow. Be careful of Summerhouse on Everett Bay as a few lots are in Onslow, while most are in Pender.

Last edited by goldenage1; 02-01-2020 at 08:03 AM..

Old 02-01-2020, 09:12 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vextc05 View Post
And last one 4) can we enroll our daughter at topsail schools vs dixon? Drive seems to be the same?
There are traffic jams of parents trying to drop off kids at Dixon Elementary and Dixon Middle in the morning. People drive their kids to school as otherwise some kids would spend up to an hour riding the bus.

Old 02-01-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post

4) No on the choice of schools to attend. The student must attend the school in the county in which she resides. Some Holly Ridge addresses are in Pender County, but most are in Onslow. Be careful of Summerhouse on Everett Bay as a few lots are in Onslow, while most are in Pender.
I don't think thats true. All of Summerhouse is in Onslow.

Old 02-01-2020, 06:14 PM

569 posts, read 341,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
I don't think thats true. All of Summerhouse is in Onslow.
Most lots are in fact in Pender County.

Old 02-01-2020, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Raleigh View Post
Most lots are in fact in Pender County.
Wrong. Again.

Follow this link, click map view, and tell me which house or lot in Summerhouse is in the Pender County school district:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...27,15&qdm=true

Old 02-01-2020, 06:40 PM

I counted 19 lots.

Old 02-01-2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Raleigh View Post
I counted 19 lots.
I counted zero. Provide data (specific addresses) to support your assertion.

Just so you know, I have worked in planning for the Town of Holly Ridge, so I know what I'm talking about. There's no point in you taking this any further. Even a simple check of Goggle maps would show you none of Summerhouse is in Pender County.

Old 02-01-2020, 07:01 PM

There are 19 lots - I counted them. Perhaps google maps is incorrect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina