Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 09:33 AM

4 posts, read 3,177 times

Advertisements

Is there any stopping these massive developments they're building from Shallote to Jacksonville? Is it too late? Am I the only one who thinks the soul of the coastline is eroding? It used to have character... now it's becoming one big housing development with yards manicured like golf courses.... No trees.

People these days seem less and less to the idea of being tied to the land and I don't really understand it. I mean why not take a little more time in the consideration of preserving native species (Grass, Trees, etc). That's why people move to North Carolina... to be apart of its beauty... am I right?

That being said... any insight on what party is more responsible for this? I'm thinking probably republican?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 09:57 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,644,354 times
Well, "bad" is a subjective word, and one person's concept of that word is different from another person's. Landowners have property rights, and therefore the right to use or develop their land. That said, local governments could create more restrictive land use ordinances, if the voters elect leaders that want to do so. Its all about what people want and how motivated they are to get it. Lots of people (landowners, builders, surveyors, construction workers, building suppliers, furniture stores, restaurants, etc., etc.) either depend on, or make more money off of, the growth that NC is attracting, so there's a large base of people who are happy with it.

I don't think its a political party issue, and framing it that way is pretty much guaranteed to have this thread veer way off topic and get closed down pretty quickly.

Old 01-27-2020, 10:18 AM

569 posts, read 341,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPack91 View Post
Is there any stopping these massive developments they're building from Shallote to Jacksonville? Is it too late? Am I the only one who thinks the soul of the coastline is eroding? It used to have character... now it's becoming one big housing development with yards manicured like golf courses.... No trees.

People these days seem less and less to the idea of being tied to the land and I don't really understand it. I mean why not take a little more time in the consideration of preserving native species (Grass, Trees, etc). That's why people move to North Carolina... to be apart of its beauty... am I right?

That being said... any insight on what party is more responsible for this? I'm thinking probably republican?
This is a ticking time bomb, due to global warming and rising sea levels. Many of these new developments will likely become abandonded in the future due to massive flooding. This is not a Republican or Democrat issue. I have no opinion as to the architectural standards. They all look the same to me.

Old 01-27-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Am I the only one who thinks the soul of the coastline is eroding?
It's not just the "soul" of the coastline that's eroding- it's literally the actual coastline.

Old 01-28-2020, 03:08 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Quote:

Lets look at Riverlights in Wilmington, which is a massive development (over 2k units) along the river. The same company developing it, Newland, has 28 communities around the country, including Briar Chapel and Wendell Falls in the Raleigh area. They are supposedly utilizing the landscape in a natural way with walking trails, lakes, etc...

If its ok to do it in Raleigh, its ok to do it in Wilmington. There are issues such as storm water runoff and clear cutting that affect both places.

Old 01-28-2020, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Lets look at Riverlights in Wilmington, which is a massive development (over 2k units) along the river. The same company developing it, Newland, has 28 communities around the country, including Briar Chapel and Wendell Falls in the Raleigh area. They are supposedly utilizing the landscape in a natural way with walking trails, lakes, etc...

If its ok to do it in Raleigh, its ok to do it in Wilmington. There are issues such as storm water runoff and clear cutting that affect both places.
The main difference is that similar developments in Raleigh and other areas are not being constructed in coastal flood zones.

Old 01-28-2020, 09:15 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Raleigh View Post
The main difference is that similar developments in Raleigh and other areas are not being constructed in coastal flood zones.
River Lights is not being built in the flood zone. River Rd was relocated so construction was outside of the flood zone. Most of these large communities place retention ponds or natural open space in the floodplain areas of their developments.

There is plenty of development in the Raleigh area that is in the flood zones...in fact we have seen more loss of life and damage in NC from riverine flooding then we have from coastal flooding.

Old 01-28-2020, 09:49 AM

Raleigh is not directly affected by rising sea levels or sunny day flooding. Yes flooding can occur in Raleigh during heavy storms, but it is not a threat like on the coast.

Old 01-28-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Raleigh View Post
Raleigh is not directly affected by rising sea levels or sunny day flooding. Yes flooding can occur in Raleigh during heavy storms, but it is not a threat like on the coast.
According to the EPA:

Making matters worse (in addition to rising sea levels), parts of the Carolina coast are sinking, leaving many towns and cities, railways, ports, airports, and oil and gas facilities (which when inundated with water can result in added pollution spillage) even more vulnerable. " Along much of the Atlantic Coast” – including parts of both North and South Carolina – “the land surface is sinking, so the observed rate of sea level rise relative to the land is greater than the global average rise,” EPA reports.

Old 01-28-2020, 11:49 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,240,321 times
From just this past November:
https://nicholas.duke.edu/news/falli...-retreat-beach

Wasting, wasting money:
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ment-projects/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina