Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 02:23 PM

569 posts, read 341,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What are you talking about? And why shouldn't everyone know that they'll lose their money because local Dare County rental companies won't issue refunds?
People need to carefully read the rental contracts that they sign, because vacation rental companies may not be legally required to issue refunds in this case. That's why we ALWAYS purchase the (optional) insurance. We had a trip planned in April, and thank goodness we have insurance !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2020, 02:38 PM

88,964 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Raleigh View Post
People need to carefully read the rental contracts that they sign, because vacation rental companies may not be legally required to issue refunds in this case. That's why we ALWAYS purchase the (optional) insurance. We had a trip planned in April, and thank goodness we have insurance !
Insurance covers mandatory evacuations and personal illness, only. It does not cover Dare County's refusal to admit non-residents in a situation such as this. The vacation rental insurance companies are rejecting claims.

Old 03-18-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Insurance covers mandatory evacuations and personal illness, only. It does not cover Dare County's refusal to admit non-residents in a situation such as this. The vacation rental insurance companies are rejecting claims.
Dont know the specifics of this situation. This may wind up in litigation, but the terms of the rental contract and the terms of the insurance policy will always govern. Insurance companies aren't stupid.

My daughter has a school trip to Philly in April, and the optional insurance policy covers cancelation in the event that the trip is called off for any number of reasons, including due to covid19. My wife is an attorney and she read the insurance contract very carefully. She used to represent insurance companies in lawsuits, so she reads this stuff very carefully.

Wouldn't surprise me if lawsuits don't pop up over this.

Old 03-19-2020, 09:57 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,319,644 times
This is the policy for Red Sky travel insurance, which is the company that Ocracoke Realty uses. It has provisions for quarantine and road closures and lots more even including your kids' school extending the school year, so I think it would cover the current situation, which is much more serious. I don't know for sure because we didn't use it, but I would be surprised if they didn't cover it when you can't get there.

We have actually had a very good experience with canceling our trip. We were supposed to be there this week, but canceled on Sunday because we didn't want to be the people who brought it down there. The owners of the house we were renting have offered us credit on another week's stay, which is really nice. We have travel insurance through our credit card and could have looked at that, but since we canceled before they closed Hyde and Dare counties not sure that would have kicked in. We just felt like it was the right thing to do, to not go.

Old 03-19-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
This is the policy for Red Sky travel insurance, which is the company that Ocracoke Realty uses. It has provisions for quarantine and road closures and lots more even including your kids' school extending the school year, so I think it would cover the current situation, which is much more serious. I don't know for sure because we didn't use it, but I would be surprised if they didn't cover it when you can't get there.

We have actually had a very good experience with canceling our trip. We were supposed to be there this week, but canceled on Sunday because we didn't want to be the people who brought it down there. The owners of the house we were renting have offered us credit on another week's stay, which is really nice. We have travel insurance through our credit card and could have looked at that, but since we canceled before they closed Hyde and Dare counties not sure that would have kicked in. We just felt like it was the right thing to do, to not go.

I wasn't able to open the link, but the "hiccup" here is that the travel insurance company is apparently taking the stance that Dare County's action of temporarily banning nonresidents does not qualify as a covered loss under their policy; it's not a formal quarantine, roads are not closed etc. The wording is extremely important, in terms of what is covered and what is not. Might be very difficult to challenge in court.

In addition, the rental companies earn commissions for selling these policies, so they have no reason to fight with the insurance companies. The rental companies "should" offer refunds (at least partial refunds) due to the extenuating circumstances, but they probably already realize that this crisis might severely trash the upcoming spring-summer vacation season.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:36 PM

Roads are closed to visitors. Red Sky is a good travel insurance company and I would be surprised if they didn't cover it. Other travel insurance companies may operate differently.

Old 03-19-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Roads are closed to visitors. Red Sky is a good travel insurance company and I would be surprised if they didn't cover it. Other travel insurance companies may operate differently.
Red Sky may very well cover these claims, I don't know.

A previous poster said: "Insurance covers mandatory evacuations and personal illness, only. It does not cover Dare County's refusal to admit non-residents in a situation such as this. The vacation rental insurance companies are rejecting claims." I just assumed that all of the insurance companies were rejecting the claims. Apparently some are, even if Red Sky is not.

A road is either closed or its not. My understanding is that permanent residents and companies having business to conduct in Dare County are free to come and go as they please, so the roads aren't closed.

Old 03-19-2020, 07:44 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,640,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Raleigh View Post
Red Sky may very well cover these claims, I don't know.

A previous poster said: "Insurance covers mandatory evacuations and personal illness, only. It does not cover Dare County's refusal to admit non-residents in a situation such as this. The vacation rental insurance companies are rejecting claims." I just assumed that all of the insurance companies were rejecting the claims. Apparently some are, even if Red Sky is not.

A road is either closed or its not. My understanding is that permanent residents and companies having business to conduct in Dare County are free to come and go as they please, so the roads aren't closed.
I wouldn't put any stock in what that poster says.

Old 03-20-2020, 01:48 PM

I definitely wouldn't put any stock in what that poster says. He doesn't know what he's talking about. You can look up travel insurance for yourself and read the policies. They cover a lot more than that.

At any rate the NC Real Estate Commission has said that vacationers are owed refunds: https://www.outerbanksvoice.com/2020...-owed-refunds/

Old 03-20-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
I definitely wouldn't put any stock in what that poster says. He doesn't know what he's talking about. You can look up travel insurance for yourself and read the policies. They cover a lot more than that.

At any rate the NC Real Estate Commission has said that vacationers are owed refunds: https://www.outerbanksvoice.com/2020...-owed-refunds/

This is absolutely the right thing to do. In reading the article, though, insurance companies are not being required to pay covered claims:

As far as travel insurance goes, Thoren encouraged those with travel insurance to check their policies, but added that she guessed the bulk of the policies have exclusions that would not cover situation such as pandemics.

The rental companies are required to issue refunds:

“…the state’s Vacation Rental Act requires brokers to refund any and all funds when access to vacation rental homes is obstructed.”

The end result is the same, and this is the right thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina