Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2020, 10:27 AM

586 posts, read 1,546,612 times

Advertisements

Hello

We are looking to install a Generac generator. The quotes so far seem very high. Does anyone have a referral for a reasonably priced Generac installer. We would need permits, transfer switch and pad. We already have natural gas in the home. We are in Wilmington. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2020, 11:44 AM

2,026 posts, read 2,775,842 times
I dont have an answer, but have the same question.
A 20kW Generac generator with switch is $5000 from the manufacturer.
Electrical companies (I was only able to find massive large contractors, not a single one-man electrician), charge $10k installed price, but that does not include gas tanks, gas piping, gas tank burred hatch, neither privacy walls.
The $5k generator will come out to be 3x that.
How do you find a non-ripoff guy who is licensed and knows how to install generators?

Old 08-02-2020, 01:19 PM

773 posts, read 646,025 times
Ask your neighbors on Nextdoor.

Old 08-03-2020, 05:41 AM

805 posts, read 2,004,732 times
"I" have the answer .... sorry, there is no such animal. THAT is what they cost ..... electricians are not stupid people, they know precisely what is involved AND what the going price is ..... having said that I have no idea why anyone in this area would actually install one. We have discussed it every time there is a storm with many of our neighbors and we all agree that it's not worth it ..... most especially when we almost never lose power and when it does happen on rare occasion, it's for a short time. The astronomical cost of the original purchase and installation, combined with the cost of the generator "testing" itself (using propane) every month and having the $13K to $15K system "checked" on a regular basis by a licensed person to make sure it's in good working order simply doesn't make any sense. IMHO.

Old 08-03-2020, 11:41 AM

586 posts, read 1,546,612 times
Buenos I sent you a PM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina